The Oakland Athletics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
Lol moving to San Jose won't bring in big bats. I doubt Bud Selig just forces the Giants to hand over San Jose. A's are going to have to do some shit like paying Cain and Timmy for the next 10 years for us lol.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
D'Backs Acquire Cahill, Breslow From A's
By Dan Mennella [December 10, 2011 at 10:10am CST]

SATURDAY: Slusser reports that the cash considerations going to the Diamondbacks will be "a couple of hundred thousand dollars."

FRIDAY: As was rumored earlier today, the Diamondbacks have acquired pitchers Trevor Cahill and Craig Breslow from the Athletics for minor leaguers Jarrod Parker, Collin Cowgill and Ryan Cook, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (Twitter links) and Steve Gilbert of MLB.com (Twitter). The Diamondbacks will also receive cash from Oakland, tweets Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

The centerpiece of the trade for Arizona is Cahill, a right-handed starter who has logged more than 175 innings in each of his three seasons as a Major Leaguer. The groundballer (53.3% career rate) is under team control at least through 2015 and perhaps through 2017, depending on two club options. He'll join Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson at the top of the D'Backs' rotation, with Josh Collmenter and perhaps (or not) Joe Saunders at the back end.

On a conference call with reporters on Friday night, D'Backs GM Kevin Towers said the timing was right to make a move of this nature:

“A lot of it is just the depth that we have in the system. Certainly, Jarrod Parker was a tough piece to give up, but with Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skaggs and Charles Brewer, we feel we’ve got depth in the starting rotation - also, Wade Miley. We see a window here, specifically in the NL West. We’re kind of in a go-for-it mode.”

Clearly, Cahill will be counted on as one of the mainstays of the D'Backs' rotation, but it wasn't long ago he seemed destined to remain in Oakland after inking a multiyear extension in April:

"I defintely thought I’d be with them a bit longer. But their history is, they usually keep guys when they don’t make too much, then trade them off for prospects. I thought I’d be there longer, but I'm glad to be part of a team that’s headed in the right direction."

Breslow, a lefty reliever, kicked around earlier in his career before latching on with the A's the past three seasons. He's posted a career 3.80 FIP, and with no significant lefty/righty splits, Towers said Breslow will likely be used as a swing lefty out of Kirk Gibson's bullpen in 2012. He is eligible for free agency after 2013.

In Parker, Cowgill and Cook, the A's get three prospects who all have far less than a full season of service time. Of them, Parker, a right-handed starter, is regarded by scouts as having the highest ceiling. Now 24, Parker pitched mostly in the minors in 2011 after missing all of 2010 due to Tommy John surgery. He was ranked No. 19 in Keith Law's top 50 minor league prospects in July.

Cowgill is a 25-year-old outfielder who made his Major League debut in 2011 after posting a .383 career on-base percentage in parts of four minor league seasons. Cook was a starter in the minors before being converted to relief work in 2011. He has a "strong arm, chance for a good slider," tweets Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus.

John Gambadoro of Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix first tweeted the rumored trade, and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Piecoro, Slusser and Gilbert all filled in with details.
•Assistant GM David Forst confirmed that all of the A's players are available to be traded except for Jemile Weeks, tweets Jane Lee of MLB.com. Two players who have been mentioned prominently in rumors this offseason are lefty starter Gio Gonzalez and closer Andrew Bailey.
•The A's objective is to get younger - not necessarily cheaper - and to build a competitive team within three years in anticipation of a potential move to a new ballpark in San Jose, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle
Especially since Beane pretty much said he plans to sandbag the next 3 seasons, until they know whats up with a stadium...

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Why do people blame Beane for what he does? It's his fault we've had one of the stingiest owners in all of sports for decades? And also that Bud Selig is a faggot who doesnt give a shit about the welfare of small market teams?? Beane can't afford to hold onto guys that WILL command cain and lincecum money, so he gets affordable players. its been this way for 10 years. if anything Beane is keeping the A"s afloat.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Why do people blame Beane for what he does? It's his fault we've had one of the stingiest owners in all of sports for decades? And also that Bud Selig is a faggot who doesnt give a shit about the welfare of small market teams?? Beane can't afford to hold onto guys that WILL command cain and lincecum money, so he gets affordable players. its been this way for 10 years. if anything Beane is keeping the A"s afloat.
Well, its been the A's way for 40+ years to trade away someone before paying them, after 74' they lost almost everyone, Reggie Jackson, McGwire, Giambi, Damon, Swisher, they always lose guys before contract time comes, then they have big seasons other places. I think the difference with Beane is he made a carreer of finding ways around that and the lack of money, but now "moneyball" doesnt work any more, other teams caught up, and the ones that didnt now have big bloated salaries and money pour in from new ball parks. I think Beane has abandoned any type of advanced metrics, and realized he needs more money to put a winner together, and the only way the a's are gonna get that kinda money is with a new stadium. I think he's running short of patience, Selig icing him about the stadium, big offers to GM for other teams. Beane wants to build a winner, and he wants to do it in Oakland, but he's not getting the pieces he needs yet.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
Well, its been the A's way for 40+ years to trade away someone before paying them, after 74' they lost almost everyone, Reggie Jackson, McGwire, Giambi, Damon, Swisher, they always lose guys before contract time comes, then they have big seasons other places. I think the difference with Beane is he made a carreer of finding ways around that and the lack of money, but now "moneyball" doesnt work any more, other teams caught up, and the ones that didnt now have big bloated salaries and money pour in from new ball parks. I think Beane has abandoned any type of advanced metrics, and realized he needs more money to put a winner together, and the only way the a's are gonna get that kinda money is with a new stadium. I think he's running short of patience, Selig icing him about the stadium, big offers to GM for other teams. Beane wants to build a winner, and he wants to do it in Oakland, but he's not getting the pieces he needs yet.
THIS. Its gonna be a sad day when the A's move, but I will be stoked if they move to sanjo instead of out of state.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Twins Agree To Sign Josh Willingham
The Twins have agreed to sign Josh Willingham, reports ESPN's Jerry Crasnick (Twitter links). The multi-year contract is pending a physical. Willingham is represented by Sosnicke Cobbe Sports, and the deal almost certainly takes the Twins out of the running for Michael Cuddyer.

Willingham, 33 in February, is a modified Type-A free agent under the new collective bargaining agreement. The Twins will not have to surrender a draft pick to sign him, but the Athletics will still receive two picks as compensation for the loss. One will be a supplemental first round pick, the other a pick one spot ahead of Minnesota's second rounder.

The Twins hit an AL worst 103 home runs in 2011, so Willingham provides some much needed pop. He hit a career-best 29 homers for Oakland this past season, and has cleared the 20 homer plateau four times in the last six years. He's also shown a knack for drawing walks and getting hit by pitches, leading to a solid .361 career OBP despite a .262 batting average. The Twins figure to use him in left field, where UZR has consistently said he's below average defensively.
•The A's announced that they agreed to terms with Landon Powell, Daric Barton and Adam Rosales on one-year deals for 2012. The A's aren't non-tendering any arbitration eligible players this offseason. Joe Stiglich of the Bay Area News Group hears Barton will earn $1.1MM in 2012 (Twitter link). Rosales will earn $600K and Powell will earn $620K, according to Ronald Blum of the AP
I like Rosales, and for $600k isnt bad. Barton and Powell are just taking up space IMO though.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
Barton is a dud in my eyes. Had one memorable season, but hasnt played well since. What happened to that first baseman we called up at the end of the season?

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
lol wtf Just read on mlbtraderumors that the A's are still looking to trade Gio even after they've traded Cahill? Haha i'd be pissed if I was an A's fan.
They've been talking about that for months. Gio is marked to be traded, most likely for young talent/prospects. The Cahill trade was a bigger suprise when it happened. Since Beane is handcuffed until the stadium debacle is sorted out the plan seems to be streamline, keep a young base until they can build something in the next 3-5 seasons.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
The Athletics and Dallas Braden have avoided arbitration by agreeing to terms on a one-year contract, reports MLB.com's Jane Lee (on Twitter). The team confirmed the agreement in a press release. We project his 2012 salary at $3.3MM
I like Braden. If he can pitch at his best that is. He's not a great pitcher but he can spot the ball and has a great change-up.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Report: Gio Gonzalez traded to the Nats for four top prospects

There were multiple reports in the past hour or so that the Athletics were moving close to trading Gio Gonzalez, with most suggesting the Nationals as the most likely destination and some random Red Sox speculation. Now Keith Law reports that a deal has been struck: Gonzalez to the Nationals for four prospects: A.J. Cole, Brad Peacock, Derek Norris, and Tom Milone.

This is a huge haul for Gonzalez, it seems to me. According to John Sickels, these guys rank as the Nationals’ third, fourth, sixth and ninth best prospects. And given how good the Nationals’ number one and number two prospects are — Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon — you could easily move all of those numbers up if they had come from other organizations.

Great move for the A’s to sell high on the Nationals. If Gonzalez holds form, fine, it’s a solid addition for Washington too, but I can’t help but think we’ve already seen Gonzalez’ best. This strikes me as a pretty significant overpay, especially for a team whose competitive window is not just next year, but rather, over the next six or seven years.

Billy Beane’s still got it.

Nov 2, 2002
godamn, this new stadium cannot happen soon enough. Its like the A's are putting their head in the sand until its done. :(

Nov 2, 2002
Im hoping the MLB orders the A's to play at PacBell park til the new stadium is built.........

I also hope the NFL orders the Raiders to play in the new 49er stadium until their stadium situation is figured out, the coliseum is just embarrassing now

lol

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
this is some bullshit. we should have started rebuilding the year before the stadium is finished. A's wont sell out a fuckin game this year unless maybe as vs giants, or maybe as vs yankess. And both those games will have more opposing team's fans then as fans in attendance. We aint gonna have shit for money, we aint gonna have shit for a team. Takes us out a of a winning season before the season starts. Thats ridiculous.

Say goodbye to any hopes of another winning season in oakland. Might as well not even fucking play.