The NW has a fuckin ego problem

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I'm going to ignore your disrespectful ways.

Anyways

You really think I meant every single artist? NO

What I meant is everything has been done to try to blow up the northwest.

Artists have gotten signed.

Artists have gotten all the major features.

Artists have gotten major money behind them

Artists have been on their independent grind for a minute "this has most successful" "Blue Scholars"

Artists have been making industry connections.

Bosko was on the best selling hip hop album last year "Graduation".

Artists have done the payola route.

And guess what?

We still haven't blown.

What other ideas do you have?

Lets all get together?

We tired that and that didn't work either.

We never get behind anybody thats about to blow cuz we have so many Hip Hop sub-genres.
Then say what you actually mean rather than giving false impressions. I don't know for a fact that you mean anything specifically, that's why I based it on the words you typed. I don't know you and I can't see your expressions so I don't know why I would know what you mean. I don't read into the shit that deep.

And maybe, just maybe trying to "blow up" the whole region instead of one or two or three of the most solid artists is a stupid, childish idea.

Let's "all" get together? You mean everyone that's friends? Cause I know for a fact that certain people who have talent won't fuck with others cause of past or present issues.

This thread is NOT about the NW blowing up or not. Maybe you missed my point. My point was that if you aren't really fucking doing anything, like the things I listed in my first post, then don't say you're "making moves." And when I say you, I mean NW artists in general so we're clear on that.

And you named one person and a group. Does someone having E-40 on a song or Twista or who the fuck ever automatically mean they are making moves? Fuck, not in my opinion. Not unless dude comes to your studio and lays the shit down. If you never see the person you didn't really make any progress besides certain fans wanting your shit more...and I'm not tryin to be negative but the fan base for NW rap as a whole is not very large. I'm not saying nobody listens to it but it's not like 50,000 people are waiting for any one NW album to drop.

And if you think that was disrespect you got it twisted. I was being nice. Don't think because I say FUCK or USE CAPS that I'm trying to be disrespectful. I just do that rather than using the bold feature cause it catches people's attention better. Or was it the "are you on drugs" statement? That shit isn't personal. It's like me saying, "what the fuck are you talking about?" Maybe I should have said that so we were totally clear. I just do that rather than using the bold feature cause it catches people's attention better. Like I said, I don't have any issues with you. If you thought I meant to disrespect you then you were incorrect. Cause I would have said a lot worse if I was going talk shit.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
the title of the thread is "The NW has a fuckin ego problem"
so i spoke on it.

who ever says anything about nw rap
Most people tend to read the first post to see what the topic is specifically about. lol. I don't really care though.

If we're talking about individuals though, every region has people with major ego problems. Fuck, I'd bet every family has someone with major ego problems, lol.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
Then say what you actually mean rather than giving false impressions. I don't know for a fact that you mean anything specifically, that's why I based it on the words you typed.

And maybe, just maybe trying to "blow up" the whole region instead of one or two or three of the most solid artists is a stupid, childish idea.

Let's "all" get together? You mean everyone that's friends? Cause I doubt that some people would works with others.

This thread is NOT about the NW blowing up or not. Maybe you missed my point. My point was that if you aren't really fucking doing anything, like the things I listed in my first post, then don't say you're "making moves." And when I say you, I mean NW artists in general so we're clear on that.

And you named one person and a group. Does someone having E-40 on a song or Twista or who the fuck ever automatically mean they are making moves? Fuck, not in my opinion. Not unless dude comes to your studio and lays the shit down. If you never see the person you didn't really make any progress besides certain fans wanting your shit more...and I'm not tryin to be negative but the fan base for NW rap as a whole is not very large. I'm not saying nobody listens to it but it's not like 50,000 people are waiting for any one NW album to drop.

And if you think that was disrespect you got it twisted. I was being nice. Don't think because I say FUCK or USE CAPS that I'm trying to be disrespectful. I just do that rather than using the bold feature cause it catches people's attention better. Or was it the "are you on drugs" statement? That shit isn't personal. It's like me saying, "what the fuck are you talking about?" Maybe I should have said that so we were totally clear. I just do that rather than using the bold feature cause it catches people's attention better. Like I said, I don't have any issues with you. If you thought I meant to disrespect you then you were incorrect. Cause I would have said a lot worse if I was going talk shit.
Lol about the caps and "what the fuck are you on drugs" nice to know next time I get a smart ass comment from you. :)

But an individual artist moving out of this spot and making the right connections is the best thing to do. Unfortunately is more realistic to go to another city network with the right people and blow up there then to blow up in the northwest.

The northwest fans don't know what the fuck they want. The person who makes it is going to have a universal sound cuz I guarantee you that person is going to sound scan more out of state then in state.

I'm mean look at Emmanuel we should be behind his movement 100%

He is the candidate at the moment; he can open the doors for the more commercial sound artist from the northwest.

But ask your average listener about him in Seattle they are going to be like who?

Labels don’t want a westcoast gangster sound rapper from L.A why would they want one from Seattle right now?

The gangsta rappers are doing what they have to do, they network with all the Cali underground artist in hopes to sell units in the west coast. And they do. Look at Syko, Twin-g and Jay Barz Cool Nutz and a whole bunch other mutha fuckas. They are known in Cali now.

So my point its going to take a commercial sounding mutha fucka with mc skills that grinds outside, that rubs elbows with industry muthafuckas to blow up.

Selling units and doing a 100 shows is not going to blow you up. Did Tech n9ne blow up? NO are you going to eat? YES

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Lol about the caps and "what the fuck are you on drugs" nice to know next time I get a smart ass comment from you. :)

But an individual artist moving out of this spot and making the right connections is the best thing to do. Unfortunately is more realistic to go to another city network with the right people and blow up there then to blow up in the northwest.

The northwest fans don't know what the fuck they want. The person who makes it is going to have a universal sound cuz I guarantee you that person is going to sound scan more out of state then in state.

I'm mean look at Emmanuel we should be behind his movement 100%

He is the candidate at the moment; he can open the doors for the more commercial sound artist from the northwest.

But ask your average listener about him in Seattle they are going to be like who?

Labels don’t want a westcoast gangster sound rapper from L.A why would they want one from Seattle right now?

The gangsta rappers are doing what they have to do, they network with all the Cali underground artist in hopes to sell units in the west coast. And they do. Look at Syko, Twin-g and Jay Barz Cool Nutz and a whole bunch other mutha fuckas. They are known in Cali now.

So my point its going to take a commercial sounding mutha fucka with mc skills that grinds outside, that rubs elbows with industry muthafuckas to blow up.

Selling units and doing a 100 shows is not going to blow you up. Did Tech n9ne blow up? NO are you going to eat? YES
I guess it depends on what you mean by "blowing up."

I didn't realize you didn't know I was an asshole, lol, now you know :)

And those people you listed that are known in Cali....how people people do you think know about them? I would imagine that Syko and Cool Nutz are the most well known.

There's just not that many really talented artists in the NW I don't think.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
Keep in mind everything I say does come from a good place.

I wish all the Northwest artist the best.

I hope Non Stop produces Akons whole album.

I hope Neema does great on Koch "especially since I'm on it"

I hope Young Soprano becomes sells as much records as C-Bo if not more.

I hope Sonny Bonoho shit blows up here and in the ATL.

I don't want cats to think I'm coming at them sideways. I'm just spitting my opinion which is as real as it gets.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
There's just not that many really talented artists in the NW I don't think.
This is another problem we have in the Northwest. You don't have to support the guy standing outside of the club with big pixels on his cover.

But just cuz you don't like the way Emmanuel sings or you hate R&B doesn’t mean you shouldn't support.

Just Cuz the Blue Scholars do "Back pack" shit or you hate Asian rappers. Don't mean you shouldn’t' support them some how?

You hate Twista shit cuz he hasn't been the same since 97. Buy his new shit cuz Nonstop made a beat on it.

I understand it’s your bread and you shouldn’t spend money on shit you don't like but if you really want to see the some shit blow from here. You have to drop your ego and support it. ASSHOLE..lol

P.S another problem we have artist always expect somehting in retunr for support somebody in a better postiion.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
But just cuz you don't like the way Emmanuel sings or you hate R&B doesn’t mean you shouldn't support.

Just Cuz the Blue Scholars do "Back pack" shit or you hate Asian rappers. Don't mean you shouldn’t' support them some how?
Ummm, No. I'm not going to buy something I won't listen to. I barely can listen to an Akon LP, and Emmanuel is no Akon. I'd be more LIKELY to buy his album because he's from my own area, but then again, I'd be more LIKELY to buy a Red Hot Chili Peppers album than a Cher album. I won't be buying either in the next 50 years, God-willing.

2ndly......Ummm, Yes, it does. Not the Asian part, but the Back Pack part. Only Backpackers I support are the ones who emulate Wu-Tang/Early Nas/et al. I don't give a fuck about your "change the world" bullshit. Come at me with some spectacular/manufacturing dracula/immaculate actor type shit. If I hear "Out of Iraq" or any variation, i change tracks. It's a wrap for you. Basically, shut the fuck up. Go write a news article--leave that shit out of your rhyme notebook. (Edit: For the record, I went to a Blue Scholars concert a few months back, had a great time. Didn't buy the album, but I'd go see a show again.)

Anyhow.

The OP does not know what he is talking about. It does not take a brain surgeon to realize that. Grunge music exploded and created a musical revolution, taking Rock from mullets and butt rock and bullshit, to basically everything we have today, in all its variations. And who would you thank for that, if you had to point to one single guy, and say "thats the guy"? You already know who I'm going to say.

He wasn't from L.A. Wasn't from Seattle and moved to LA. Wasn't even from Tacoma and moved to Seattle. Aberdeen's own Kurt Cobain made that shit happen by moving to Seattle. Population 16,000...probably less back then.

Some of you guys on the inside looking out might not appreciate us small towns, or appreciate the impact of your larger towns, but you need to learn and learn quickly. Sea-Tac has plenty of people. Portland has plenty of people. In those 2 areas combined, we're talking 3-4 million people. You're telling me our top names shouldn't be doing 1000+ a month, every single month of the year? You telling me a monthly Supershow couldn't pack in 500+ every time at 20 bucks a pop? You're on crack. It's not that the leads aren't out there, you're just coming at them all wrong. You're pushing Kia on someone who's used to a Lexus or Range Rover.

Something is off. It isn't the music. It isn't the talent level. It isn't the fans. It's the way these rappers are coming at the fans like "Help me blow up, or FUCK YOU IN YOUR ASS". Like there's no middle ground at all.

What it should be like is:

"Oh, so you don't want to buy my CD? That's cool. But here, take this [CD-R mixtape of you, your label, your city's best artists, WHOEVER], free of charge."

It costs you 25 goddamned cents, and more important than that, they walk away with something that at least 50% will listen to at least once. Don't give them your MySpace link or a flyer or some shit, because it's going in the trash. Always has, always will. Postcard Flyers are the biggest waste of money known to man. It's like printing "FUCK YOU FOR NOT BUYING MY ALBUM" in bright colors, because people only take the flyer if they feel guilty for not buying anything.

Now, tell me Aberdeen representative has this all wrong. Stop me at any point. Step in and let me know I'm making shit up.

But no.....instead we get, "Fans don't know what they want". "Fans want to hear a mainstream sound". So then what do we get? Some asshole making an album with 16/18 crap ass songs and 2 radio clones, like it does any good. And then, so they can claim the album "has something for everyone", they go out and spend who knows how much of their budget on beats and features that nobody but their core base of 113 fans care about--instead of focusing on crafting their own distinct sound and niche. And then on top of the then, they push the album back for 1-2-3-4-5-6 years just to make REALLY REALLY REALLY sure it's "something you can play all the way through, start to finish!". Yeah. Sure, buddy.

You know what it reminds me of? The Get Rich Quick infomercials that air at 3am. But.......mothafucka, if you're so rich, why the hell can't you afford an ad during the daytime? It's 100% transparent.....yet these rappers still do it in a region populated by some of the smartest people in the entire country.

There's a reason we don't speak with an accent. There's a reason we drink more coffee than beer. There's a reason we wig the fuck out when its 70 degrees outside. There's a reason we don't have slums. There's a reason we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

The NorthWest, 10 Million plus, is here to stay. We Exist. If "We" does not include You--Wise Up, don't Dumb Down. Dumb Marketing and High Pressure Selling is fucking everything up, and that much should be known. It's not about being on your own dick or not. Call yourself the greatest all you want, but NEVER let a potential lead walk away without SOMETHING in hand (other than a fuckin' postcard). Cardinal Sin, and Rappers are doing it every single day of the week.

Nov 30, 2002
. You're telling me our top names shouldn't be doing 1000+ a month, every single month of the year? You telling me a monthly Supershow couldn't pack in 500+ every time at 20 bucks a pop? You're on crack. It's not that the leads aren't out there, you're just coming at them all wrong. You're pushing Kia on someone who's used to a Lexus or Range Rover.

^^ couldnt have said it better myself... the last part was ON POINT

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
lol, 10k outta the trunk in portland alone? lol! good luck. its prolley not even that many muthafuckaz in portland alone that even listen to rap music. shit add beaverton and salem and still its not gonna happen.
Yes in Portland alone. You have to find 10,000 people. Fuck dude, I don't care where you do it. My point was that Neema sold around 10K. Nobody else is doing that. He has a lot of hustle in him and some good marketing ideas...like going to FUCKING SPORTS GAMES where there are tens of thousands of people. If you tell me that you went to a Trailblazers game and didn't sell at least 50 albums then you don't have hustle.

Nobody in this fucking area REALLY knows about marketing and advertising besides......Neema and Cool Nutz...for the most part that is. You don't have to have a ton of money you just have to know how to reach your fucking audience. Half these idiots don't know who their audience is.

It's actually really fucking simple too. Then again I've actually made a full out advertising campaign, which Neema helped me with a little bit.

As far as Seattle goes, the only person that I see marketing themselves correctly is Neema. And you don't have to sell out to market yourself, that's how you sell cds and tickets for shows.

@Speedy...I'll only buy shit that I know I will listen to. Otherwise it's a waste of my money and time. I've bought probably 10 CDs from NW aritsts at shows over the years...TWO of them were good. Neema's album and Crytical's album. And I got those CDs at the same show. LOL.

Nov 30, 2002
I've bought probably 10 CDs from NW aritsts at shows over the years...TWO of them were good. Neema's album and Crytical's album. And I got those CDs at the same show. LOL.

wait a minute.. werent you all over gettin greedy when they first came out? you, my friend.. are stating false information

(that was inasense's turn to be an asshole!:cool:)

pz

Nov 24, 2003
Dirty Shoez said:
Oh, so you don't want to buy my CD? That's cool. But here, take this [CD-R mixtape of you, your label, your city's best artists, WHOEVER], free of charge."
Co-sign 100% on this.

If you want to make money, run this shit like a business. Spend money now, make money later.

If I was managing an artist, I would take out a loan if necessary and print up 10,000+ copies of the album to give away for free, just to get the name out.

Think of the first albums as an investment in future album sales.

Jan 22, 2007
www.myspace.com
^^Yup! I know that every person at a Sammy "P" show gets a free cd...not a mixtape either...the full first album...wrapped and all....FREE! We might have sold 100 copies at ten bucks at first and then decieded to just give it away and focus on the next album. Now everybody knows his name whether they like him or not!