The NHL Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I dont like hockey, but im having hard time figuring out why they have these teams in the middle of the frickin desert.

NHL officially approves Las Vegas as 31st franchise
No idea, the team in Phoenix has failed miserably and is 2nd to last in attendance.

As somebody that grew up in Vegas I never met a single person there that gave a shit about hockey lol

Maybe they're banking on tourist attendance or something.

Feb 10, 2006
whats crazy is I went to 6 coyotes games last year and they were all pacced to the rafters. trust me their attendance will rise in Glendale, they have stocc in a few great, exciting YOUNG players. I hope they flourish in LV. as well. I didn't watch the nhl( knew a few players) until they brought them to Phoenix.

oh yea I wonder what their team will be named??

LAS Vegas Tig Ol' Biddies?

Feb 10, 2006
No idea, the team in Phoenix has failed miserably and is 2nd to last in attendance.

As somebody that grew up in Vegas I never met a single person there that gave a shit about hockey lol

Maybe they're banking on tourist attendance or something.

I wouldn't say failed miserably, they've been here in AZ for 20 years now. its a process tho and when your team is winning your franchise is winning. I think what they thought was gonna bring in a lot more fans was the move to Glendale because the cardinals are out there as well. not so much of an investment yet but the city is growing rapidly. just succs for me cuz its more of a drive to see them play.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Coyotes attendance is bad because the team is bad and the arena is bad. AZ is a bandwagon sports town, there is no local loyalty to losers, especially a) when they are not homegrown and b) there are so many transplants.
How is the arena bad? That arena at Westgate is nice and set up perfectly for hockey. Probably one of the nicer venues in the NHL.

Phoenix is a city of 4+ million people, hockey has had 20 years to catch on and it hasn't. The only team I see people here being bandwagon with are the Cardinals. The Suns and Diamondbacks fill their venues with diehards regardless of losing. The Suns for example blow and still averaged over 17,000 a game last year. Hockey just doesn't belong here. I feel like Las Vegas will be exactly the same (from the residents at least).

The only way hockey flourishes in Vegas will be due to fans of other teams filling the arena like Bruins fans, Rangers fans etc. when they come to visit.

I wouldn't say failed miserably, they've been here in AZ for 20 years now. its a process tho and when your team is winning your franchise is winning. I think what they thought was gonna bring in a lot more fans was the move to Glendale because the cardinals are out there as well. not so much of an investment yet but the city is growing rapidly. just succs for me cuz its more of a drive to see them play.
20 years and they haven't produced a winner. ESPN has attendance figures stored all the way back to the year 2000 and they've been bottom 3 in attendance every year except from 2004-2006, which was when Gretsky was brought in to boost attendance. The city of Glendale is screwing the Coyotes out of the arena, because the team is losing the city millions of dollars per year. They even had a bankruptcy a few years ago and the NHL had to fund the team for like 4 years. To me they've failed miserably.

Maybe they'll be more successful if they move back downtown, who knows, they had pretty terrible attendance there too though. The Coyotes already said they won't be back in Glendale after this two year lease is up, would the arena downtown even want them back?

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
How is the arena bad? That arena at Westgate is nice and set up perfectly for hockey. Probably one of the nicer venues in the NHL.

Phoenix is a city of 4+ million people, hockey has had 20 years to catch on and it hasn't. The only team I see people here being bandwagon with are the Cardinals. The Suns and Diamondbacks fill their venues with diehards regardless of losing. The Suns for example blow and still averaged over 17,000 a game last year. Hockey just doesn't belong here. I feel like Las Vegas will be exactly the same (from the residents at least).

The only way hockey flourishes in Vegas will be due to fans of other teams filling the arena like Bruins fans, Rangers fans etc. when they come to visit.
Yes, Westgate is nice, that arena is outdated though. AZ's team was the minor league Roadrunners. They had mad support before the yotes arrived. The yotes have had too much scandal and haven't put a good team on ice for 4 years now. It is real easy in AZ to lose interest in a team, especially a sport that does not connect with a region (southwest) and a team that has had little historical success; the exception is the east coast transplants that love the sport imo. The games I went to majority of fans were for other teams. I agree, they put the yotes near Cardinals thinking both sports translate to same fan bases, but that was a mistake. I believe if the yotes had been placed in the East Valley, their support would have been greater. Phoenix is a shithole (I know arena in Glendale but is practically Phoenix).

The Suns and DBacks are homegrown teams.

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
The city of Glendale is screwing the Coyotes out of the arena, because the team is losing the city millions of dollars per year. They even had a bankruptcy a few years ago and the NHL had to fund the team for like 4 years. To me they've failed miserably.
The NHL rejected the sale to move the team to Ontario (big mistake).

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
The NHL rejected the sale to move the team to Ontario (big mistake).
They also rejected a sale to move them back to Winnepeg where they came from to begin with. The NHL seems to have a fascination with keeping them here, I think they feel like the 4 million people here will eventually come around and start shelling out money.

I don't get it though, Seattle for example has been begging for a NHL team for years, seems like hockey would flourish there much more then one of these desert towns.

Feb 10, 2006
I enjoy it, my girl has enjoyed the experience as well. if you go to the games there are some die hard fans out there, this last season I also took my kids to go see the yotes as well. they loved it. ive been going to coyotes games from since they first landed here in Phx/Glendale, I'm not too high up on the numbers and figures of what they do, that's the staff and gm's deal. does hockey work here? yes and no. to the ppl who love coyotes in the desert, yes. to the outsiders who look in and don't give a shit about nhl here then of course no.

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
Hockey is a fucking awesome sport i try and goto as many gamees as i can via San Jose or go down to LA but i do think Lv is a bad place for Hockey, they rejected Quebec to bring back the nordiques

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
The Vegas team unveiled it's name and logo tonight. It's officially the Las Vegas Golden Knights

Las Vegas' NHL expansion team named Golden Knights

I'm gonna fuck with it and give it a chance. My home town finally has a professional squad, think I might even take the 4 hour drive and hit a couple games a season. Never really fucked with hockey, but I want to give it a chance now.

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
Watchin fox 5 most locals tweeted no need to say golden... we are just the knights..and i agree.. never gave a shit about hockey before but i been watchin a lil to be better prepared for the inaugural season... go knights!!