The big mistake most San Diego artist make...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 5, 2004
Well, first off the big mistake most San Diegans make is, waiting for someone el's to put them on the map...... You have to do it yourself.......Once a person becomes serious about there marketing and promotion, the doors will start to open.........If more San Diego people were willing to take a financial risk toward there product , then every other business owner would benefit including the risk taker.(if your not willing to take risk then your not willing to make money) witch equals to not being on that imaginary map. Ya feel me..... ???????? What do yall think????????

Apr 20, 2005
i dont think there is that much music commin out of sd right now. it seems like its just Mitchy Slick doin his thing and everybody else that was getting hot kinda just stopped.

1 mistake is that sd artists arent putting out enough product

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
it takes money to put out projects, studio time, promo, etc. and some cats just don't have the funds to pump out albums. with the decline in music sales, its even a bigger gamble to put out an album, because you may not even recoup what you put into your project, and that may dissuade artists from pumping out albums, imo...
even knowing the risk, I anticipate putting out my next project, whenever that will be. :)
you have to know the risks involved but love doing music and have fun doing it.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
E-low you should know more then anyone..especially as a producer...that these artists aint even trying to spend any money on beats...let alone good sounding recording...wich equals mediocre at best...also out of the 100% of rappers trying to make it..only about 5% have the drive and determination to even make something out of this game..or their lives The rest of the 95% morons are ones who just talk about wanting to really do something,as they press play on the xbox smoking all day..
Truth be told there is no excuse as far as not putting money in the project..if you cant invest in your own career why should anyone else?..Aint got the money...get a fucking job...make sacrifices.....Thats whats wrong with alot of americans today..they wanna make excuses about how times is tough..wich for some they are.....but truth be told most are just a bunch of lazy motherfuckers...There are so many sucess stories of those who faced more shit then we can imagine..people who come to this country with the clothes on their back..no place to stay...and end up working two jobs and going to school to become doctors,businessman etc.....these aspiring rappers will spend 20-30,000 on a car but wont put 10,000 in a project....i could go on and on.....

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Rasan said:
it takes money to put out projects, studio time, promo, etc. and some cats just don't have the funds to pump out albums. with the decline in music sales, its even a bigger gamble to put out an album, because you may not even recoup what you put into your project, and that may dissuade artists from pumping out albums, imo...
even knowing the risk, I anticipate putting out my next project, whenever that will be. :)
you have to know the risks involved but love doing music and have fun doing it.
Rasan....i aint hollered in a minute..but just wanna let ya know I bought your album....as well as the new B-stone ....old hound foundation,and some more c.ds through JUNk......

Aug 23, 2005
San Diego got a few people thats truely serious and who have made big finacial sacrifies for their career.If u look at the artist the history and resouces they`ve built.Or traveling they`ve done towards marketing and promo you`ll you`ll find money love and heart going into certain artist and projects.The outcome is the respect of CHAMPIONS! THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT STRUGGLE!DAGO`s GOT TO OPEN THEIR EYES TO THE FEW WARRIORS OF THE MUSIC BUSINESS THEY HAVE!

Apr 8, 2007
I cant feel new SD rap at all, Id like to hear more shit like Sherm Stick, music that you can play over and over and not get tired of it, with all this new rap, once is enough for me.

Apr 26, 2006
Rap sucks, period. It ain't the 90's no more. No one is going to truely bring it and show it how it really is, the vibe just ain't their anymore.

Just make some Hyphy, Crunk or Snap music tracks, that's what the kids want to hear anyways. :ermm:

And to producers, just start making one finger melodies with big 808 kicks and your beats will sell for plenty of G's. :ermm:

Take note of songs like "DJ Quik ft. AMG - Can U Work With That," that's the $hit people want to hear right now. I ain't got much against this kind of $hit because I take it for what it is, but beats and shit like this is truely the future of Rap IMO. I just can't hear that G-Funk/Bay Area Mobb Funk coming back on a large scale. So you have to do what the public wants and right now it's $hit like that Dj Quik track. Also you have to get Akon to sing some shit on your tracks. haha :ermm:

Apr 4, 2004
www.myspace.com
BOOBOO619 said:
Rap sucks, period. It ain't the 90's no more. No one is going to truely bring it and show it how it really is, the vibe just ain't their anymore.

Just make some Hyphy, Crunk or Snap music tracks, that's what the kids want to hear anyways. :ermm:

And to producers, just start making one finger melodies with big 808 kicks and your beats will sell for plenty of G's. :ermm:

Take note of songs like "DJ Quik ft. AMG - Can U Work With That," that's the $hit people want to hear right now. I ain't got much against this kind of $hit because I take it for what it is, but beats and shit like this is truely the future of Rap IMO. I just can't hear that G-Funk/Bay Area Mobb Funk coming back on a large scale. So you have to do what the public wants and right now it's $hit like that Dj Quik track. Also you have to get Akon to sing some shit on your tracks. haha :ermm:
LOL.. U Said It Exactly How It Is In A Nutshell.. I Know It Sucks That Its Like That, But He Said It And Its True.. Thats The Game.. Its Forever Evolving.. Some People Love Elvis And Cant Let Him Go.. Thats How I And Most People Are Over The 90's Era Of Music.. Some People Can Evolve With The Times Like Chameleons, Some Stay True To Their Era.. But No Matter What It Will Be That Era And Not Now.. Thats Why Anything Coming Out Now Sounding Remotely Like Our 90's Music Is Called Dated.. Shit Ten Years Ago Was 1997... So U Know What Im Sayin...

Apr 20, 2005
10 years from now, these hyphy trap and snappers will say whatever is hot at the time is wack. Back when Gang Rap was tight in the 90's, everybody that wasnt into to it said that shit was wack. They all used to be like "Rakim, EPMD, Public Enemy, KRS, Big Daddy Kane, were way better, gangsta rap is garbage."

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
BOOBOO619 said:

I DIDNT READ ALL OF IT MY NIGG......NO DISRESPECT.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=20574513

Jul 17, 2005
biggest mistake a lot of these niggas make is pickin up the mic in the first place. but for the most part, the shit you said is true in regards to the few solid artists that rep for the city.

Nov 14, 2006
BOOBOO619 said:

Always gotta be thinking ahead. Most times when a producer make a track it dont get used right away. When your makin music you gotta try your best to make it timeless not just make sumthin thats hot right now. Gotta set yourself up to succeed in the industry. Make connections wit everyone u can. Find a passionate artist that is willing to stick it out the whole night to get the tracks done. Get that good engineer that has the same vision and and can hit the blunt and not fuck up the track(seen it happen.) Once u got the artist, producer, and engineer all vibing the rest should come naturally.

Apr 16, 2005
www.myspace.com
people need to stop being cheap, everyone think they too hot to pay for shit and want everything for free, and you guys right, you do need to put in money in yourself if you believe you hot!! and you cant be lazy either go out and GRIND!!! you may get rejected 100 times a day but you sell 10 cds at 10 bucks thats a c-note a day the numbers add up at the end :cool:

Mar 18, 2006
www.nonstopheat.com
Most artists, in my eyes, aren't setting themselves apart from the rest. Theres hundreds of rappers that say "look out for my (insert mixtape or album here)." Out of those, maybe half do really drop a project. Then from those, maybe 10% actually take the time to make their music look good (packaging, promo etc.)

I think if the good artists, who are actually GOOD, put a bit more effort into packaging their image, they would be more successful.

Production is also a key point that people tend to dismiss as unimportant. I personally am not rich, but I've managed to find good production just by looking and keeping an open ear.

S.D. should familiarize themselves with the barter system as well. It works.

Mar 18, 2006
www.nonstopheat.com
One more thing...

An artists focus should be on developing himself/herself first.

I think too many rappers try to put their homies on and it tends to backfire. Not to hate on anyone specifically because I ALWAYS keep an open mind, however I've noticed that generally, people are deterred from an overly cluttered song. That plus the fact that most of the time, the homies don't match up to their level anyway.

Not directed to anyone, because people should do what they think is best for them, but I have noticed this in several cases and thought it should be addressed.