The Bay Our Position in The Industry & WHY!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

70SAV

Sicc OG
Mar 1, 2006
some of the shit u said i feel - but thats the mentality that brings a lot of animosity and jealousy to this game. people get killed over shit like that everyday ima say it one time "everybody aint eatin b" so if they catch you on that high horse best belive them some lil hungry motha fucka gon knock you smooth off.
Look, I ain't said shit that GOD don't love. I been in the game for many a moon and ain't nary a nigga knocked me offa shit. Real niggaz don't wan't to do me harm... They love me cause I give 'em the real. I am well respected in THIS game as well as a few others for that matter. Why? Cause I carry it right nigga. That's why. I don't ride high horses and I don't floss. But, at the same token I don't slum either. You've mistaken my disgust for a lack of work ethic as arrogance, but it don't matter... cause I'll tell YOU like I'll tell any other muthafucka that wanna know... If you expect me to worry about some other ABLE BODIED nigga who aint eatin' cause he chose the wrong career path and refuses to see reality for what it is, then you got another thought comin'. And back offa me with that "some little hungry nigga gon knock me smooth off". It sounds too much like a threat to me. I gots THANGZ fa THEM thangz... and I'm good wit 'em too, so lets just leave it at that.

You got the game all fucked up. You didn't hear me say shit about downin' the next man cause that ain't in me... and apparently you cant read between the lines because when I say I take care of ME first, I MEAN Me and MINE (as opposed to you and yours?). Stragglers are'nt tolerated in my circle. You either handle your business or you get left on the side of the road. REAL players and businessmen have worked this way since the beginning of time and will continue to do so whether you like it or not. So pop another cheeto and get back to your Xbox while I get this Gwop.

you gotta have people behind you pushin for you we need the whole bay pushin if this crab in the bucket mentality keeps up then we all gettin cooked.
You sound a little insecure there homie. Tell me again... just why exactly does it take an entire region to make one good album? You need to stop blindly repeating rhetoric that you do not understand. I know it sounds good
but take a little time to break the concept down in your mind. Then maybe you'll understand what I'm gettin at. Improvement begins with self first. If everyone in The BAY would stop worrying about trying to figure out how to get everyone on the same page and just do THEIR Job I guarantee you that something will start to happen. If you don't know where you fit in then get out of the way and let those who do know handle their business.

See... I know what you're scared of... You scared of gettin left out aint cha? Like back in the 90's when real muthafuckas stood head and shoulders above the crowd. You prefer the Thizz/ Hyphy era where any and everybody can be all they can be huh? Just grab a mic and scream "get stupid" and "get dumb" into it. Instant rapstar (at least in your own mind). By the way you don't need to explain to me anything about 40 or Jacka. if I wanna know somethin about 'em I'll ask 'em personally. Trust that. As far as your little "bitch" comment goes, I'ma leave that alone cause you wasn't talkin to me. P.S. Next time you jump into a thread have somethin constructive or original to say. I can tell you chimed in just to say you were involved.

So Look Sicness homies, I'll make ya'll a deal, y'all stop askin' for aswers and I'll stop givin 'em to you. The problem here is... you want a cure but you don't like the medicine. Get it through your heads, everybody can't do this. There is an issue of balance going on here. There are too many wannabe artists and not enough fans. The market is glutted. The only way to get back, is to allow the cream to rise to the top. It doesn't matter if you want it to or not. nature will take it's own course you're only making it take longer...

Dont get it twisted, I Love The Bay and it's people... I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but in all actuality the entire earth is my turf and I'd rather have a go gettin ass uzbekistanian by my side than the lazy raggedy ass nigga that lives across the street.

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
the bay needs real hustlers,

just the way people say that a lot of these dude's dont have talent

...a lot of these people dont know about hustle

you saved all your money and you bought a bunch of cd's and posters

whopty fuckin do, you gon blow up for sure!!!!

Feb 12, 2003
our position in the industry is nothing. nobody starts up a conversation about rap anmd says man the bay is doing it selling records sold out shows etc etc. Man we really havent made a splash in a long time besides e 40 but even he isnt as widely acceptecd as i feel he should be as compared to like a jay z or lil wayne.

I just gave up on seeing my favorite rappers from the bay get big. i buy the slaps that i love and i know to me they are better than all the shit coming on bet and the radio. and i just appreciate it for what it is.

not saying we couldnt do something like the south has done as a region but i dont see it as a reality anytime soon. but i would love to see it all come together but regardless the shit i like im gonna bump it in the whip with bass and stay lovin it.

May 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
GOOD THREAD

There is a lot of good Game to be soaked. I have been fortunate enough to taste both sides of it. What I've realized is that music is a luxury not a necessity. To break a quality record Independently is a high risk investment. If you do not have any Business sense, You'll be in the Business of losing money. Independents need to realize that the market your in/entering is competitive, saturated and not in demand. I'd say 90% of hustle and determination is wasted on music due to the state of the business. I admire those who have stuck with it, But if you utilized a quarter of that time and capital into a smarter investment you'd be rich by now. I'd advise all those in this area to find a back up plan (in the near future) as a means of generating revenue outside the record biz rather than ride this rap game out. It's fucked up but consumers don't buy the cow...
Records are flopping left and right. Fans blame the artist, Artists blame Labels and Labels blame Pirates. There are valid points to every argument, but the one thing you all have in common is placing the blame elsewhere. Everyone must play their part in order for a product to be successful. Pick and choose your hitters and get behind their records if you want them to continue. It's as simple as that. If you are not being paid for a service its no longer a job its a hobby, And nobody in this business is blowing up treating it as such. There is an abundance of talent out here in the Bay Area. You might have a great record on your hands, But if everyone isn't playing their position the game forces you to forfeit. This is not a negative post. It's realistic. All I can say to those of you whom this may concern, Pray for the best and prepare for the worst. 100

Jan 22, 2007
There is a lot of good Game to be soaked. I have been fortunate enough to taste both sides of it. What I've realized is that music is a luxury not a necessity. To break a quality record Independently is a high risk investment. If you do not have any Business sense, You'll be in the Business of losing money. Independents need to realize that the market your in/entering is competitive, saturated and not in demand. I'd say 90% of hustle and determination is wasted on music due to the state of the business. I admire those who have stuck with it, But if you utilized a quarter of that time and capital into a smarter investment you'd be rich by now. I'd advise all those in this area to find a back up plan (in the near future) as a means of generating revenue outside the record biz rather than ride this rap game out. It's fucked up but consumers don't buy the cow...
Records are flopping left and right. Fans blame the artist, Artists blame Labels and Labels blame Pirates. There are valid points to every argument, but the one thing you all have in common is placing the blame elsewhere. Everyone must play their part in order for a product to be successful. Pick and choose your hitters and get behind their records if you want them to continue. It's as simple as that. If you are not being paid for a service its no longer a job its a hobby, And nobody in this business is blowing up treating it as such. There is an abundance of talent out here in the Bay Area. You might have a great record on your hands, But if everyone isn't playing their position the game forces you to forfeit. This is not a negative post. It's realistic. All I can say to those of you whom this may concern, Pray for the best and prepare for the worst. 100
Good stuff....

Oct 28, 2003
Good post...

Mar 1, 2006
the bay needs real hustlers,

just the way people say that a lot of these dude's dont have talent

...a lot of these people dont know about hustle

you saved all your money and you bought a bunch of cd's and posters

whopty fuckin do, you gon blow up for sure!!!!
Sad but true... Lames is fuckin up The Game.

There is a lot of good Game to be soaked. I have been fortunate enough to taste both sides of it. What I've realized is that music is a luxury not a necessity. To break a quality record Independently is a high risk investment. If you do not have any Business sense, You'll be in the Business of losing money. Independents need to realize that the market your in/entering is competitive, saturated and not in demand. I'd say 90% of hustle and determination is wasted on music due to the state of the business. I admire those who have stuck with it, But if you utilized a quarter of that time and capital into a smarter investment you'd be rich by now.
Truer words were never spit...

I'd advise all those in this area to find a back up plan (in the near future) as a means of generating revenue outside the record biz rather than ride this rap game out. It's fucked up but consumers don't buy the cow... Records are flopping left and right. Fans blame the artist, Artists blame Labels and Labels blame Pirates. There are valid points to every argument, but the one thing you all have in common is placing the blame elsewhere. Everyone must play their part in order for a product to be successful. Pick and choose your hitters and get behind their records if you want them to continue. It's as simple as that. If you are not being paid for a service its no longer a job its a hobby, And nobody in this business is blowing up treating it as such. There is an abundance of talent out here in the Bay Area. You might have a great record on your hands, But if everyone isn't playing their position the game forces you to forfeit. This is not a negative post. It's realistic. All I can say to those of you whom this may concern, Pray for the best and prepare for the worst. 100
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I would much rather give my support to a Bay Area Company that sold unique goods and/or services rather than continue to feed an already glutted market. Trying to support Bay area hip hop artists is like trying to feed a starving continent with a "We Are The World" type of fundraiser. Everyone gets to eat for a day and everyone feels all self congratulatory, but the next day everyone is back to starving. I'm not preaching hate. What I'm preaching is realistic self examination and taking responsibility for you and your own actions, and eventually taking realistic steps toward your own self improvement.

Lets be real alot of people are spending alot of money chasing this Hip Hop Dream. If youre really THAT hungry then stop throwing your money down the well. Redirect your energy and resources towards more realistic and profitable ventures. The same small fish in a big pond can be the big fish in a small pond...

I think the bay missed the boat. Im sure E40 will be successful but not as much as he was with Ghetto Report Card. This hyphy shit was new and people were curious about it, they got with it and thats what made that album successful. Even if this new album is big I dont think we will see any aftershocks from it. (other artists getting signed) if any time was the right time it was 2 yrs ago when 40 had his second wind.

Lets look at what happened as a result of E-40 My Ghetto Report Card:

Federation got signed, dropped an album that had no promo, no major single. Their big single Stunna Glasses At Night ended up not getting cleared because of the original singer...

Mistah FAB got a deal, came out with Ghost Ride It single and released a video funded by his own money. That ended up getting pulled. He has yet to release anything

Clyde Carson got a deal with Capitol and although he had a hot single Kingston's hook didnt get cleared so there that went, and hes still on the label waiting

The A'z got signed to TVT and we ended up hearing less from them than when they were indy.

If anyone would have benefited from the situation it would have been Keak but i guess he got tied up with other labels and never got his chance.

Only successful new bay artist that has stayed afloat that I can think of right now is Baby Bash but he got signed way before this hyphy shit and never depended on it....

feel free to add on if I forgot something or you disagree...
yeah thats how it happened!! Big Rich had a single that got play but what happen after that the lable forgot about him, same as Bailey....Bullies Wit Fullies had video wit Clyde Carson a video then then mess goes to jail all down hill....

and instead of gettin behind the Pack niggaz sit here and hate on em...worrin about there street cred and style

Feb 2, 2006
shit the other day i went to this show in berkeley for "the cataracs" couldnt even get in (well i didnt really try) cuz the shit was sold out already and there was tons of bitches outside still trying to get in and see them. we definetly aint lost it - i mean that was the last thing i expected for a turnout like that i was suprised as fuck. i definetly think with the right approach we can continue to draw the crowds and sell music. we just need to rethink our strategy and like i said get behind our local artists - i can see us getting on strong as long as everyones on top of their game. it'll happen new york is feelin the same way we feelin right now.

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
shit the other day i went to this show in berkeley for "the cataracs" couldnt even get in (well i didnt really try) cuz the shit was sold out already and there was tons of bitches outside still trying to get in and see them. we definetly aint lost it - i mean that was the last thing i expected for a turnout like that i was suprised as fuck. i definetly think with the right approach we can continue to draw the crowds and sell music. we just need to rethink our strategy and like i said get behind our local artists - i can see us getting on strong as long as everyones on top of their game. it'll happen new york is feelin the same way we feelin right now.
c/s