Tech N9ne MTV Interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 19, 2008
www.youtube.com
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1665673/tech-n9ne-lil-wayne-b-o-b.jhtml

Jun 13 2011
Tech N9ne Bringing Lil Wayne, B.o.B Into His World
'Different artists are supposed to hook up and make something beautiful,' the underground MC tells MTV News.
By Rob Markman

Among his underground following, Tech N9ne can do no wrong. But his fans, appropriately dubbed the Technicians, did get a little uppity when news broke that the Kansas City, Missouri, rap veteran would be collaborating with the likes of Lil Wayne on Tech's recently released All 6's and 7's.

"No, I was not afraid of the backlash because I was getting it when Wayne said he wanted to work with me to [Hot 97 DJ] Funkmaster Flex when he was in Rikers," Tech N9ne told MTV News during an intimate sit-down at his Strange Music headquarters in Lee Summit, Missouri. "All of my fans, a lot of my fans were like, 'Oh no, don't f--- with Wayne. No, no, no, he's mainstream and you're underground — it don't mix.' "

In October 2010, while still serving his eight-month prison bid for gun possession, Weezy revealed to Flex that he would like to work with Tech. For Tecca Nina, Wayne's name-drop was an introduction point for new and curious fans, but for his long time die-hards, there was some skepticism.

"Different artists are supposed to hook up and make something beautiful, that's what makes music wonderful, I think," Tech said, defending against criticism that he was selling out. "I already knew what I was gonna do. When I get with these [well-known collaborators], the beats gotta say their names."

The resulting collabo is "F--- Food," a raunchy track that not only features Weezy, but T-Pain on the hook as well. The song's lyrical depiction of explicit sex acts will make it a hard sell for radio, but then again according to Tech, airplay was never the point of the union. "Everybody else is just going to try to put it on radio and big hit, boom and get their money off these cats. Nah, I just want to do beautiful music," he said.

The Young Money CEO isn't the only popular rapper to appear on All 6's and 7's, Atlanta's B.o.B also lends his production and lyrics to the project on "Am I a Psycho?." The dreary track is a far cry from Bob's 2010 radio hits "Nuthin' On You" and "Airplanes." Tech remembers the feeling he got when he first heard the beat and often reminds fans of B.o.B's oft-overlooked lyrical prowess.

"I chose it like, 'Whoa,' he did the beat and he did the chorus and I said, 'That's my world right there,' and he wrote a verse for it. He's a lyricist," he said before citing Bob's very first single, 2007's "Haterz Everywhere," as further proof. "That was thugged-out; that was gutter. I ain't forgot B.o.B; he supposed to expand. But I know he can go, so we did 'Am I a Pyscho?' with Hopsin."

Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, Twista, Yelawolf, Kendrick Lamar and Stephen Carpenter of the Deftones also appearances on All 6's and 7's, but Tech N9ne puts any notions that he's going mainstream to rest. "I brought people into my world," he said.

Also a short 1:30 video of Tech's interview on the link

Nov 14, 2002
For the record... I didn't want Tech to fuck with Wayne because Wayne sucks. Not because he was "mainstream". I think most of us meant it in a way that was more like "Don't do him the favor".

May 7, 2008
wayne entertains..he doesnt bring much else.. yea u can argue about his lyric abilities but he still entertains eitherway..

fuck food was good <

Jun 20, 2008
For the record... I didn't want Tech to fuck with Wayne because Wayne sucks. Not because he was "mainstream". I think most of us meant it in a way that was more like "Don't do him the favor".
I didn't want Wayne on Tech's album because, as I expected, he ruined the track. Even if his verse wasn't complete garbage, I can't tolerate his voice. If I'm listening to music when I'm in my car I don't want to have to fast forward through a shitty verse, I just skip that track.

I love Tech being on Wayne's album however in an effort to gain him some much earned acknowledgment.

Dec 14, 2005
I haven't really liked most of Waynes music but I dont think he at all ruined the song.

I thought their styles meshed well together.. Techs precise rhyme schemes and style switching with Waynes punchlines and wordplay = great track imo

Im interested in hearing what these two did on Carter 4