Tech N9ne is being sued by Klosed Kustody Records

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2006
Klosed Kustody, a local-music label based out of Topeka, is suing the king of Kansas City hip-hop, Tech N9ne, and his music label, Strange Music. Klosed Kustody (or Klosed Custody, as the label is known on its Facebook page) is suing on behalf of its act Brandon Evans (who goes by "Bizzy"), who allegedly was featured in Tech's "Sex on the Beat" -- both the mixtape track and the video -- and Collabos: The Gates Mixed Plate, without any credit to Klosed Kustody. (According to the lawsuit, Strange Music also encouraged Bizzy to stop communication with his original label and to skimp on the management percentage that Klosed Kustody was due.)
Klosed Kustody claims that "introducing competing Evans products into the stream of commerce ... diluted [Klosed Kustody's] product." The thing is, I can't find Bizzy's name on The Gates Mixed Plate mixtape anywhere. Bizzy's front and center on "Sex on the Beat," though.

Tech is well-known in Kansas City for extending a hand to local artists and trying to usher them into the spotlight. (Just think about his show a month ago, at which he filled out the lineup with a local metal band Hammerlord, DJ FSTZ, and local MC Dutch Newman, who isn't signed to his label.) Encouraging a local artist -- who Tech's been known to support -- to turn on his label seems a little, well, strange -- especially when Klosed Kustody can't get its LLC's spelling straightened out. Seems a little fishy, doesn't it?

What do you think?

​UPDATE, Friday February 25, at 2:06 p.m.: Travis O'Guin, CEO, president and co-founder of Strange Music, has this to say about the lawsuit: "We obviously dispute these accusations and view this as a frivolous lawsuit, and we will deal with this very aggressively."

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2011/02/tech_n9ne_is_being_sued_by_klo.php

Aug 23, 2002
Lol, this company seems like bullshit. This lawsuit will get thrown out, i guarantee it. Just someone looking to make a quick buck. Either that or the Bizzy dude got scared and said some bullshit. No way that Travis or Tech would ever encourage dude to not talk to his own record label. They are businessmen... especially Travis. He knows what the fuck he is doing.

The lawsuit is bullshit and they are either just trying to get some exposure or a quick buck.

*Edit-looks like the bizzy dude has nothing to do with it. His manager wants his cut. I guess they fell out and just wants to start some legal mess over the label not getting credit. Sucks but dude should have done it the legal way. Bizzy is talented I hope this legal drama gets done with and dude gets to make music.

Jan 29, 2006
Lol, this company seems like bullshit. This lawsuit will get thrown out, i guarantee it. Just someone looking to make a quick buck. Either that or the Bizzy dude got scared and said some bullshit. No way that Travis or Tech would ever encourage dude to not talk to his own record label. They are businessmen... especially Travis. He knows what the fuck he is doing.

The lawsuit is bullshit and they are either just trying to get some exposure or a quick buck.
i didnt buy the gates mixed plate so i cant look in the booklet for bizzy or klosed kustody.

Mar 26, 2005
That label is full of shit! I'm looking @ The Gates Mixed Plate booklet now and in the song credits it clearly states, #20 'LOUD' feat. Brandon Evans (Bizzy) and has his name under the 'additional vocals' section. Doesn't mention his own labels name but then again, who cares?! Bizzy was one of my favorite features on the album too, so all this is bullshit. imo

Aug 23, 2002
That dudes manager is trying to make money since they are on bad terms. That sucks because dude is talented and will be stuck on some bullshit because of bad business. dudes manager is on the pitch talking shit. Bizzy is talented as hell. I hope he gets out of that shit deal. Thanks for the article shaggz.

Aug 20, 2006
FLA
That label is full of shit! I'm looking @ The Gates Mixed Plate booklet now and in the song credits it clearly states, #20 'LOUD' feat. Brandon Evans (Bizzy) and has his name under the 'additional vocals' section. Doesn't mention his own labels name but then again, who cares?! Bizzy was one of my favorite features on the album too, so all this is bullshit. imo
......hes getting sued because they didnt mention the label. so obviously kreamy kusturd kommittee cares.

Aug 16, 2003
I was reading about this today. I'll try to get a hold of Bizzy and see whats going on with this mess. I will say that it looks like its just his label is tripping for real and that Strange shouldnt have anything to worry about. Bizzy is a real as dude and as far as I know is cool with strange. Last time we spoke he had nothing but good things to say about Strange. He was telling be about how professional things were handled and how Tech came out to have a meeting w/ him before they even went into the studio for GMP. He was even at the album signing in @ the Bestbuy.

And like its already been stated he is in the credits of the album on the inside and the outside.