Tech could help KC's MLS Wizards...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2003
Okay, I couldn't quite find the right thread to put this under, so I made a new one. It is from the Friday, January 26, 2007 FYI section of the Kansas City Star. It is mostly about the Wizards, which is KC's Major League Soccer team. In the interview, the Wizard's top spokesman, Rob Thompson, states he would like to have a team song to play at the games... possibly even created by a local artist.... read on.....

COWTOWN CONFIDENTIAL

Wizards get ready to click their heels

Hearne Christopher Jr.
The Kansas City Star

While Sprint Center face-savers scramble for a fourth pro sports team here, the Cowtown’s next big thing may well be the Kansas City Wizards. They’re even led by — would you believe? — actual local owners with vested interests in all things Kansas City.

What will they think of next?

What’s more, at any moment, the team is poised to announce where it will play this year, as Major League Soccer finalizes its schedule. Hint: Arrowhead is out, it will seat 6,500 to 8,000 and Dorothy may not approve. And as early as Valentine’s Day the Wizards could announce a permanent stadium site.

Naturally, when it comes to such Top Secret details, Wizards spokesdude Rob Thomson’s lips are sealed — a rarity in itself.

That said, the Wizards are pulling out all the creative stops.

“We want to do something like the Comets used to do with the theme song to ‘Midnight Express,’ ” Thomson says. “We want to adopt a local band to come up with a theme song to be associated with soccer and our team. You know, like it’s time to get fired up, rowdy or whatever. It doesn’t have to be soccer-specific.”

Kind of like a Y2K version of Chiefs bandleader Tony DiPardo?

“Um, well, he’s Y1K, right?” Thomson quips. “Yeah, we’re even talking about having a DJ at our games. You know what would be neat would be to have a Tech N9ne-Elders mix to play as we come on the field.”

Forget about being used by Pittsburgh’s Penguins and the NHL, “We’re going to be in the mainstream. We’re going to be the happening team,” Thomson vows.

So even sports talk dudes like WHB’s Kevin Kietzman will spend hours jabbering about the Wizards?

“That’s a good question,” Thomson says. “I think that what we’re doing is going to force media members to catch up.”

Now if we can just figure out where that Beckham dude will play here this summer ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The artical does go on, but that's the end of what's important to this forum. Soccer is definately not high on my list of things to watch when it comes to sports, but I just wanted to post so everyone could see what was being said. Even though it is soccer, it's good to see a local team that actually knows their stuff when it comes to local music.

Aug 8, 2002
www.techn9nehq.com
Fuck Soccer...they're playing a "major league" soccer season at a high school this year. How fucking gay is that? More people in Kansas City know who Tech N9ne is than a single player on the Wiz....

Name one.....just one.

Didn't think so.

Oct 10, 2004
www.myspace.com
techn9nehq said:
Fuck Soccer...they're playing a "major league" soccer season at a high school this year. How fucking gay is that? More people in Kansas City know who Tech N9ne is than a single player on the Wiz....

Name one.....just one.

Didn't think so.
didnt even know yall had a team..

Feb 17, 2006
i dont know...soccer might get big in the U.S. now because of players like david beckham and freddy adu...tech might just help out and be another stepping stone to getting MLS big...i'd rather watch soccer than baseball any day

CyrusTheVirus

thats just my ghost
Oct 31, 2002
legendary
haha.... The comets already passed through years ago.... Since the truman sports complex doesn't have games every day all day... I would like to see the penguins land in kansas city. A hockey team would be pretty cool, I'm sure kc has enough crazy fans who would enjoy watching people knocking the shit out of each other with short intermissions from the zamboni.

Soccer is so popular all around the world but it seems that americans could give a fuck less. Oh layyy oh lay oh lay oh layyyyyyyy :dead:

Aug 8, 2002
www.techn9nehq.com
the.know.how said:
i'd rather watch soccer than baseball any day

Then you're a douche....no offense.

What's not to love about soccer???

Waiting 20 minutes to see a scoring chance, only to watch some mullet sporting douche drill it 20 feet wide of the net.

Guys falling down when they get clipped like they got shot by a 12-gauge.

Games are 90 minutes long...or are they? Added stopage time that only the ref knows??? WTF??? How soccer of them.

Soccer should only be a breeding ground for future goat kickers in the NFL. Bill Gramatica had to be a soccer player...because only a soccer player would break his leg celebrating.

Soccer is a joke and it's been "the next big thing" for 30 years. I'm still waiting.

CyrusTheVirus

thats just my ghost
Oct 31, 2002
legendary
hahaha ^^^ soccer was almost as kool as the tight rolled denim pantlegs.... and all coolest kids were easy to spot... they were the ones who had the tents setup outside kemper arena like the next star wars film was about to drop. These kids were making damn well sure they would be gettin that complementary kc comets fanny pack the moment the doors opened.

Unfortunately without personally attending a venue I had to settle for simply laughing out loud everytime I saw one of these more fortunate individuals

didn't some soccer guy supposedly come over here to the US to put soccer on the map? As I understand it he has already went home? *correctly if I'm wrong cause I probably am*

soccer in america might catch on if it was a nude female sport... until then it will remain in the tv program lineup right after rerun's of perfect strangers, alf, and inside schwartz.

Sep 17, 2003
Isn't Soccer the biggest sport in the world outside of the US? I think I've heard that before. It just refuses to catch on here.

The reason the Wizards have to play in a high school stadium this year is a combo of things. Lamar Hunt (RIP) sold the team this past year. Voters approved rennovations to both stadiums at the Truman Sports Complex, and obviously the rennovations at Arrowhead have to be done in the Chiefs' off season. So that rules out the Wizards playing there for a few more years. A new Soccer only stadium won't be ready for a few years, not to mention the owners have no idea who is going to let them build where (altho it will probably be on the Kansas side).

I really don't care too much, other than I like to keep up on current events in my area, which includes KC.

Feb 17, 2006
shit, at least soccer players are real athletes...the only thing i can say for baseball players is some can throw fast and some can see a ball coming and hit it 40% of the time if they're brilliant...i have no desire to watch a guy stand on a pile of dirt for three minutes before he throws a ball that the batter doesnt even swing at...i've been to a shitload of brewers games and the best part is the seventh inning stretch when the fuckin hotdog, brat, italian sausage, and polish sausage race around the field in ridiculous uniforms...possibly if the MLS had phallic meats they'd be on top too

CyrusTheVirus

thats just my ghost
Oct 31, 2002
legendary
soulwinnerrj said:
I really don't care too much, other than I like to keep up on current events in my area, which includes KC.
That's kool, I would have never even known there was a soccer team in kc. I heard they were trying to get pittsburgh penguins to move into the sprint stadium rent free. I hadn't heard much about the wizards. I did hear somewhere that they might be trying to get an arena league football team or someshit. I'm betting some sports team will be calling the sprint center home before too long. I have no idea if it might be basketball, hockey, soccer, rollerderby, or even professional dodge ball. Maybe we could get something really intereting to watch like a new hybrid sport like croquet lawn dart dodgeball. Ahh fuck it, just bring over the MXC show, someone always gets fucked up and the announcers are spectacular

Aug 8, 2002
www.techn9nehq.com
the.know.how said:
i've been to a shitload of brewers games and the best part is the seventh inning stretch when the fuckin hotdog, brat, italian sausage, and polish sausage race around the field in ridiculous uniforms...possibly if the MLS had phallic meats they'd be on top too

Well that's your problem right there! You've taken your experiences at Brewer games as a barometer of the whole sport. While it's probablly the only sport where if my team (white sox) aren't involved, I really don't give a rats ass, but if you know the game and appreciate the science of the game you can't say it's worse than soccer.

I'm blessed, I grew up playing it, watching every day on tv and being able to go to two of the greatest sports venues of all time to see it....Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park. You couldn't have a bad time at these places in the 80's and 90's. And this is before all the gimicks they have now, sausage races, kiss cams, dance cams, etc. I'll be damned if soccer ever has more popularity in this country than baseball.

Jan 4, 2005
damn, post has gone to hell over the world's most popular sport that has more then 100,000 youth players in kc (one of the biggest market) and the US has the USA CUP in Minnesota, which host over 800 soccer teams from around the world in one week, the things people don't know about soccer. i love to watch soccer live. nothing like being in eourpe watching a soccer match with over 500,000 people there, only thing better is seeing over a million people at the daytona 500.

Sep 17, 2003
CyrusTheVirus said:
...I did hear somewhere that they might be trying to get an arena league football team or someshit....

Ahhh, you did not hear! Kansas City got an Arena Football team last year, and they are named the Brigade. They played at Kemper Arena last year and will again this year (the home opener can bee seen nationally on ABC, March 4th). Then next year, they will move into the Sprint Center.

Sep 17, 2003
tha_psycho said:
my friends cousin is going to play for them, his last name is bishop

Michael Bishop. Former stand out when he played for K-State. Haven't heard much of him since. But I did see on the news the other night that he's one of the two quarterbacks on the team.

Feb 17, 2006
KEEP_IT_KEEBLER said:
damn, post has gone to hell over the world's most popular sport that has more then 100,000 youth players in kc (one of the biggest market) and the US has the USA CUP in Minnesota, which host over 800 soccer teams from around the world in one week, the things people don't know about soccer. i love to watch soccer live. nothing like being in eourpe watching a soccer match with over 500,000 people there, only thing better is seeing over a million people at the daytona 500.
um...is this sarcasm? sounds like it with the daytona 500 remark...it's cool that people like different sports and whatever, but...well...whatever

Aug 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
soulwinnerrj said:
Michael Bishop. Former stand out when he played for K-State. Haven't heard much of him since. But I did see on the news the other night that he's one of the two quarterbacks on the team.
yup thats him haha, he was awesome at k-state watched some highlights awhile ago, i know he went to the patriots and somewhere else then went to the europe league