TC Finalizer

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006
anyone ever tried one of these? shit just made my tracks SLAP. thing does the trick when it comes to mastering. i finally got that "thick" sound i was looking for when i was mixing. it basically took my mixes and injected them with steriods it beefed up my 150 pound scrawny mix into a 250 pound beast with muscle. makes the drums SLAP and vocals SIZZLE (this in combination with a lot of plugins and peak mastering suite)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Finalizer96/

Apr 26, 2006
Post some examples up, before and after. I notice the same dramatic jump in thickness with certain plugins I use. I'd say compression is the main reason for it.

Feb 2, 2006
money and pussy before (l2 on this and everything):

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54369161b4e3ef4f/

after (with finalizer):

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5436930711f9c7c8/

Let It Knock (mixed with l2):

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5436939917deff23/

after (with finalizer)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54369489fb8b1d0b/

All My Money (l2)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5436956914b67b0d/

after (finalizer)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54369638b194a66a/

you gotta compare it in your car or something its kinda hard to judge on computer speakers. bottom line it fattens up the sound bigtime makes it radio ready pretty much. no plugins will get it this loud and thick (ay if u take this game and run with it dont say nobody on siccness ever upped your game!)

Feb 2, 2006
Post some examples up, before and after. I notice the same dramatic jump in thickness with certain plugins I use. I'd say compression is the main reason for it.
its not just compression it because anyone can take an l2 and slam the shit out their tracks and wonder why it dont sound full. i dont know how to explain it but you can't get that effect with an l2/ll16/ psp vintage warmer etc. this is just a tool but it sounds great compared to what i was doing before. it wont compete with a 50,000 mastering studio but its a step up. i feel like you can get your sound quality in the ballpark with any major release if u use it right

Apr 26, 2006
its not just compression it because anyone can take an l2 and slam the shit out their tracks and wonder why it dont sound full. i dont know how to explain it but you can't get that effect with an l2/ll16/ psp vintage warmer etc. this is just a tool but it sounds great compared to what i was doing before. it wont compete with a 50,000 mastering studio but its a step up. i feel like you can get your sound quality in the ballpark with any major release if u use it right
I see, it does sound A LOT fatter and clean. It adds a lot of presence. But I'm sure you can still get that same effect with plugins, you just need the right settings in compression, eq. That Waves L2 is really just a limiter though, it's not gonna add beefiness, just make it louder closer to 0db. Compression and EQ would add more of that beefiness. I'm sure there's some stereo widening going on in that machine your using as well to spread the sound out more. It sure sounds sick, but I ain't convinced that plugins can't achieve a similiar result with the right settings and combination of plugs.

Apr 7, 2006
I've used one for mastering quite a bit back in the day... Definitely a good piece for DIY mastering... They also make a plug in version, which is supposively the same thing since the Finalizer is all digital...

Apr 26, 2006
swear^ ok ima check for that right now
Looks like they do. It's called "MasterX3." But I think it's only TDM or Powercore.

Have you ever tried the Izotope Ozone plugin? It seems to be that all in one finalizer type of plugin and it gets a lot of praise. A version 4 will be coming out this month supposebly. I downloaded version 3 and it does sound pretty good while going through the various presets, but it's just too much shit for my taste to fully understand it all. I just fuck with the presets and that's about it, but there are some good ones. You might like it, I dunno.

Anyways, to get my shit sounding fatter, more presence and all, I usually use a combination of plugins on the master. You should also try some freeware VST plugin called "YOUWASHOCK." It's pretty fucking dope (made by the creators of FL Studio), you'll notice an immediate difference. It's a combination of multi-band compression and other ish. I usually only turn the knob about a 1/4 of the way or less. You'll notice the greater presence in bass and highs and it's not completely overdone, it'll just sound overall louder and thicker. I also like to add a compressor underneath it, usually the Waves API 2500 or PSP Vintage Warmer in singleband mode.

Feb 2, 2006
^i actually downloaded it yesterday after i realized how much of a difference "finalizer" or "mastering" plugin/analog gear makes. havent got around to trying it though. ive heard mixed reviews actually

it looks like i may be able to use the "masterx3" if i use vst to rtas wrapper? what is powercore

Apr 26, 2006
^i actually downloaded it yesterday after i realized how much of a difference "finalizer" or "mastering" plugin/analog gear makes. havent got around to trying it though. ive heard mixed reviews actually

it looks like i may be able to use the "masterx3" if i use vst to rtas wrapper? what is powercore
I'm not sure about that Wrapper thing, but maybe it'll work. Fxpansion is the company that makes the wrapper I believe.

Powercore is a DSP thing. It uses the power from the CPU to run the plugin. I don't know much about it, but it's a separate hardware unit. Similiar to UAD cards. Basically, it's just another option on how to get that plugin to run. The other TDM option is probably easier.

Feb 2, 2006
^damn so basically u need gear its not just a plugin then. that sucks. might as well buy the analog unit prooblby get a better sound too

Apr 7, 2006
powercore is the shit though... Comes with a good amount of bundled plugs... Their reverbs/delays are top notch... I use mine daily and haven't used the finalizer in well over a year - but then again I've been doing mostly mixing lately...

To further stray off topic, I would reccomend the UAD-2 over the Powercore any day of the week... The UAD offer world class mastering plugs like the Precision Series (limiter, eq, mulitband, ect), and the Neves (wanna talk phat, try the 1081)...

Ah decisions decisions...

Feb 2, 2006
powercore is the shit though... Comes with a good amount of bundled plugs... Their reverbs/delays are top notch... I use mine daily and haven't used the finalizer in well over a year - but then again I've been doing mostly mixing lately...

To further stray off topic, I would reccomend the UAD-2 over the Powercore any day of the week... The UAD offer world class mastering plugs like the Precision Series (limiter, eq, mulitband, ect), and the Neves (wanna talk phat, try the 1081)...

Ah decisions decisions...

do i have to buy gear to get these plugins? i heard the uad plugins are nice.

edit: yeah i see u need a card. those plugins look like they sound alot better than waves

edit: i see what powercore is yeah that thing looks tight

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11327

oh yeah like I said before finalizer is not analog...
damn i assumed all gear=analog so whats the difference then? im not even really sure what analog is ahahaha

Apr 26, 2006
I'd say the UAD plugins would be the better route. I haven't heard anything bad about UAD.

That Access Virus Powercore synth would be awesome though.

Apr 7, 2006
UAD is the better route hands down... plus since the UAD-2 came out, you can get used UAD-1's for dumb-ass cheap on EBAY.... then if you like it you can get a UAD-2 so that you can run a shitload of plug-ins....

Good thing is if you buy the plug-ins for the UAd-1, they will automatically work on the UAD-2 as well - so that way you can have up to 4 UAD-1s and 4 UAD-2s on one system...

Apr 7, 2006
Oh yeah, Waves business practices are hella scandelous...

Research WUP before throwing any money their way...

It's like you don't buy their plugs, only rent them...

They make some good stuff like the SSL, V-Series, JJP & API

But the I prefer the Duende for the SSL, as it's all the way official (not an emulation)...

I prefer UA's official Neve pulg-ins to the waves V-Series... The Neve bundle won the '07TEC award for signal processing software...

Many also prefer UA's officially licensed Fairchild and Pultec plugs to those of the recently released Wave's JJP series (which again is not officially licensed)...

Now the API series is something I've though about getting, but considering the annual WUP payments Waves wants to get out of you, I'd rather get the real deal analog units (2500 stereo comp and 500 series 500 B eqs)... but that's just me...

But yeah, as far as external DSP processing goes... in terms of overall quality, value, diveristy and customer service: UAD> SSL Duende > Powercore > Pro Tools TDM > Liquid Mix