studio shit i want for my house.....give me advice

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 27, 2002
well ladies so far heres what i have or am positive i am going to get within the next 2 months:

mpc2000 with the effects board
audiophile 24 bit soundcard
roland 3080
2 event monitors
mini dbx mic tube pre amp
the AKG 3000c mic (i think thats the number of it i cant remember off the top buts its one of the AKG 3000's)
2 sony mdr 700 headphones
soundproofed closet as a booth
plus i already have my computer and am going to be using reason, protools, or cubase (or a combination of the 3)

what i need to know is:
1)keyboard: karma, triton, trinity, roland xp-60, etc? which is best? why?

2) is there anything from this list that i would need that i am missing? please do list i want to know it all

and: 3) would a mixer do me any good? (mackie versions in particular)

also feel free to criticize my set up so far

Jun 25, 2002
geocities.com
you might wanna get a soundcard with more inputs, maybe something with at least 8 inputs

there are better low cost mic pres then that dbx/art thingy

better choice(s) of mics in the range or cheaper than that akg

as far as a keyboard goes...the karma and triton pretty much have the same sounds so eliminate the karma...the trinity is old so if you can pick one up for real cheap used then maybe

i would go to guitar center and try out the sounds between the xp-60 and the triton and see which one you like better

everybody seems to have a triton and mpc, so if you wanna be like everybody else, then there u go

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
THA RIPPA said:
mini dbx mic tube pre amp
Why dont you just get a lighter and burn your money instead. This unit is a peice of shit. Dont ever spend the least amont of money on your mic and mic pre EVER..............

the AKG 3000c mic (i think thats the number of it i cant remember off the top buts its one of the AKG 3000's)
Um yeah this mic is ok at best, and thats pushing it. Your better off getting a studio projects C3, and a Shure KSM32.

About the mackie mixer if you going to use it as a line mixer than that is ok, STAY AWAY from its MIC PRE'S!!!!!!!!!!!! Crued is a good term for them. Mackie does make good stuff dont get me wrong, I just like about a million other people dont care to much for there pre's.

And as for the which synth is best. Only one answer. THE ONE YOU LIKE THE MOST PERIOD. They all have pro's and cons.

I do own a trinity and I love mine, but it has flaws, but sound wise I have no complaints at all, none.

May 27, 2002
thanks a lot you two i appreciate your comments i am very appreciative because without you two i would have bought that mic pre, but now im lookin for others and another mic

anyone else have other suggestions?

Apr 26, 2002
The AKG C3000B has given me nice results. I also have the ART Pro MPA, which gives it that suttle Analog Tube Warmth, So far it's been workin' out great. I Personally like to record my tracks Dry, and then Run it through the pre-amp, or Through a Plug-in, and Eq, Etc. That way I can go back and Change it if needed. It saves me time when recording.

There's always been a debate over the Mackie Boards Pre-amps, Some people swear by them, others don't like them at all. If you're not likin' them, you might as well get a behringer, especially if your going to be recording Directly to the soundcard.

Good choice on the Monitors, I have the Ps6's, they are definitely worth the price you pay for them. once you get used to the characteristics of them mixing on them is a snap. I also have the Trinity, great Keyboard. Don't worry about the sounds it comes with, cuz you will probably end up tweakin' all of them out. I would be more interested in the synths capabilities. Plus you can cop a Trinity for real cheap off ebay

Mar 13, 2003
Rippa - not to sway you or anything - but I have a DBX Tube, mini pre-amp and to tell you the truth I cannot hear the difference between the mic preamps in my Mackie mixer, or the mic directly into the recorder.

The only reason I have it - and keep it around - is because I heard (and have seen) that a vocal waveform running through a tube and a vocal waveform running through nothing are different, although not detected by an untrained ear.

I thought many times about just saying fuck the tube pre-amp but the point is, as I've heard and seen, music A&R execs and engineers (REAL veterans, not 91siccness 2 Sicc 4 U Nicca, and Geah Mayn/Playa IM Real Records CEO we have here) can definitely tell the difference as to whether or not you're recording with vintage equipment or not, even if you can't.

Not to say the DBX is vintage, but the tube is genuine and the waveforms are definitely different ("warmer" as the term goes).

The audiophile soundcard only has a few inputs - but that's where the mackie mixer comes in - you can run shut through your mixer and record to your soundcard ...just like a studio runs 24 tracks to a mixer, then to a DAT machine.

A little creativity goes a long way in saving you time and money.

Mar 13, 2003
Dont ever spend the least amont of money on your mic
::dismisses this load of shit completely::

oh yeah and to whoever implied that all mics are the same and never spend money on a mic - that person is a moron. Yeah just use your windows microphone to lay vocals. I'm sure it's no different from a 6000 dollar ribbon vintage microphone that people kill to buy.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Willy Jones said:
if view1 is god why does he music blow
1.) 1ST off you bitch about other people who cant spell right, and you then go on and write a run on sentence.

2.) I never said I was anything, I thank Kp for the compliment though.

3.) You've never even heard my muzic dog, but you will, very soon. Well see then wont we....

And last but not least, eat a dick for trying to talk shit on a fuckin internet message board, put the toys down and grow the fuck up....

Your freindly MODESTO city native AODSTA FOR LIFE.......

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
RaginHomosexual said:
to be absolutly real with you view 1 and kp, willy jones is by far the best overall artist on these boards i am not kidding reply to this thread if you want proof
To tell you the truth I dont give a fuck about him his muzic his life or anyone else on these boards. I come here to get info on what ever I need, and to answer any question on this board that I can help cats out sarting in this game. I didn't come here to prove myself but I guess this cat feels the need. Me and my folkz will eat up cats, ask Playa Rae, Ask Gemini, Ask Doom. I can say the same shit too but I dont feel the need, I'll let our muzic do the talking. So if you really want to press the issue more power to you, we've never run from any cats and ain't about to now. I've invested over 7 tears and wont even begin to tell you how much money into this shit. And like anybody coming up in the game have ran into countless walls and set backs. We finally got our shit straight, and now are putting our album into the final stages. I've meet alot of cats in this game and seen what the game is really about, but were still here doing our thang regaurdless, just like everybody else. But we ain't like everybody else thats what sets us apart, and when I have audio up soon you will know what I mean by that. We as a group have never fallowed the road everybody took, we took the road less traveled and I'm glad we did. And like my folkz Sinn said in one of our songs TIMES "I try my best / and give it all I got / cause this music / and my AOD folkz is all I got"

VIEW 1 AOD FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!