Start Kevin Smith or Jonathan Stewart?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 18, 2002
kevin smith hasnt had a td in a while and it seems like everytime i do not start stewart he breaks off 15+ points...kevin smith going up against cleveland and stewart up against miami tomorrow..thoughtS?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
well, Miami has a much better rushing defense compared to Cleveland... and Stewart splits carries with Deangelo Williams who is the better out of the 2

so it may seem logical to take Kevin Smith is you look at it that way

now forgive me for my lack of fantasy football knowledge, because I don't play it... but is it based on hwo many points the player scores or is it based on hwo many yards they can get?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Are you really asking this question?
I don't think it's really a dumb question

if you don't think about it you'd just automatically assume Stewart...

but Cleveland has the 30th ranked rushing defense, while Miami has the 7th ranked rushing defense

and like I said Stewart splits carries with Williams... while Smith is Detroit's number 1 rusher

Jul 25, 2007
FANTASY DIFFERENCE MAKER!! (ESPN ANNOUNCER VOICE)

Kevin Smith. He's the starter, doesn't split carries and going against Cleveland D. Cleveland's Offense fucking sucks which means the Defense will be on the field the whole game and will fatigue.

Stewart didn't practice Tuesday due to an Achilles injury but practiced today. He can see limited time due to a short rest week and going against a decent Miami defense. Williams should see majority of the carries and Stewart should be on the bench. Ayo4yayo reports.

May 9, 2002
I don't think it's really a dumb question

if you don't think about it you'd just automatically assume Stewart...

but Cleveland has the 30th ranked rushing defense, while Miami has the 7th ranked rushing defense

and like I said Stewart splits carries with Williams... while Smith is Detroit's number 1 rusher
And even with him splitting carries, he is only 50 yards behind Smith and has a MUCH better YPC. He also has twice as many TD's.

Again, is this question really being asked?

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Kevin may be facing a shitty Run D, but the lions offense is terrible itsself, Panthers have a good OL for stewart + he gets most the tds

May 2, 2002
I have a similar problem....

Cleveland has actually been playing pretty good D lately...but their offense is so damn terrible they are on the field ALL day.

For that reason I'm playing Smith in my league...I expect him to be catching some screens and shit this week too.

But Carolina runs all day and Stewart could easily get you points.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Jonathan Steart against the top defense's in the league thats he's faced, (DAL,ARI,PHI) he averages 40.3 yards, 121 Total rushing yards, which 25% of his rushing yards. Against the weak(ATLx2,WAS,TAM,BUF,NOR) rushing defense's 57.5 yards, 345 Total rushing yards, which is 75% of his rushing yards.

Smith against the top rushing defense's(MINx2,PIT,GB,SEA) he average's 63.8 yards, 319 Total yards, which is 61% of his rushing yards. Against the weak(NO,WAS,CHI,STL) he averages 49 yards, 196 total rushing yards, which is 39% of his rushing yards.

Like Murk already said, they just lost their left tackle for the season and Miami is the 7th best rushing defense(97 RushYperG) while Cleveland is 30th best rushing defense(165 RushYperG).

4 out of the 9 games (44%) this season, Stewart has failed to get more then 50 total yards(rushing and receiving) while Smith has never had less then 50 total yards. Smith also averages 17 carries to Stewart's 11 carries and Smith averages 3.6 receptions per game while Stewart averages 1.4 receptions per game.

I didnt add the Recieving yards Smith (217 yards, 29 receptions) and Stewart (103 yards, 13 receptions). So Smith has 732 Total yards while Stewart has 569 Total yards.

Anyone that says that Stewart is the clear cut choice, really has no clue. Saying that because he plays for the Lions really doesnt justify why Stewart is better. I mean its not like Stewart's a backup running back or anything....

May 9, 2002
Jonathan Steart against the top defense's in the league thats he's faced, (DAL,ARI,PHI) he averages 40.3 yards, 121 Total rushing yards, which 25% of his rushing yards. Against the weak(ATLx2,WAS,TAM,BUF,NOR) rushing defense's 57.5 yards, 345 Total rushing yards, which is 75% of his rushing yards.

Smith against the top rushing defense's(MINx2,PIT,GB,SEA) he average's 63.8 yards, 319 Total yards, which is 61% of his rushing yards. Against the weak(NO,WAS,CHI,STL) he averages 49 yards, 196 total rushing yards, which is 39% of his rushing yards.

Like Murk already said, they just lost their left tackle for the season and Miami is the 7th best rushing defense(97 RushYperG) while Cleveland is 30th best rushing defense(165 RushYperG).

4 out of the 9 games (44%) this season, Stewart has failed to get more then 50 total yards(rushing and receiving) while Smith has never had less then 50 total yards. Smith also averages 17 carries to Stewart's 11 carries and Smith averages 3.6 receptions per game while Stewart averages 1.4 receptions per game.

I didnt add the Recieving yards Smith (217 yards, 29 receptions) and Stewart (103 yards, 13 receptions). So Smith has 732 Total yards while Stewart has 569 Total yards.

Anyone that says that Stewart is the clear cut choice, really has no clue. Saying that because he plays for the Lions really doesnt justify why Stewart is better. I mean its not like Stewart's a backup running back or anything....
Are you implying that Smith is better than Stewart? J-Stew is only a backup becuase Williams is such a GREAT runner.

Does anyone wanna bet me that Stew outdoes Smith this week?

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Smith is better then Stewart. Put Stewart on the Lions and he wouldnt put up better stats. Plus so far in Stewart's career, he's the change of pace back. Being the featured back and change of pace running back are two different things.

I'm not saying that Stewart is weak because he's the backup. But you cant deny that he's the backup. He might not be the backup in a few years but Week 11 of the 2009 NFL season, he's the backup.

I'll take that bet. There both kinda of injured, so it's fair.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
And even with him splitting carries, he is only 50 yards behind Smith and has a MUCH better YPC. He also has twice as many TD's.

Again, is this question really being asked?
YPC means he's a better RB... I'm not gonna disagree with you here... but Smith has more total yards, which matters more IMO, Kevin Smith gets more total carries which means he gains more overall yards

I know he does have twice as many TD's... 6 to 3... but again you have to look at the teams they're playing...

7th ranked rushing D and 30th ranked rushing D... which would you rather take?

I can see why someone would take J Stew because he's a better overall back... but it's not a clear cut choice at all IMO... I can completely understand why poltergist is asking for opinions on it