Some important music biz. info/updates:

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-12

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.a-wax.com
I know alot of you are probably disappointed with the postponement of the Bay Area Rap Summit. Well, myself and Chuck from Done Deal are too! We still intend to do it, but the current status of the music business has hindered our plans. Support we were counting on from major media outlets, record companies and others just never came through, and quite frankly, Chuck and I couldn't do it all on our own. Don't fret though, IT WILL go down, somewhere soon. STay tuned!!!

What really prompted me to creat this post though is something else entirely. My colleague, peer, friend, competitor and all round stubborn homeboy Cuda aka Big C of Associated Distributors started an amazing post that has record responses and has generated a great dialogue that the Siccness has been missing for a long time. I considered stop posting on this site due to the "at great lengths" that muthafuckas go to to hate sometimes.

I think the post shows solidarity among music industry insiders and hopefuls alike. I also think it shows the imperfections of this business and ALL of us as businessmen. We as distributors are not above correction or reproach in the same way that no rapper or producer or graphic designer etc. is above criticisim and comment.

I gotta say that there are times I have forgotten why I got in this game and lost sight of what I'm in for. I most assuredly am in for the dough because I got a mortgage and a family now but I came into this biz 10 years ago as a rapper/wanna-be manager/two bit hustler and gangbanger that didn't know shit. All I wanted to do was be heard and network with established cats in the business. When you do get to my position though (and believe me it ain't much of one), you learn that all the muthafcukaz out that pants on one leg at a time, just like us. This is also a humbling industry that has taken me from ego maniac, to broken spirited to well rounded businessman and the only thing that has changed around me is the players.

The music business, partiucularly in the Bay Area, used to have a sort of GHETTO ROYALTY (TM) that used to network like N2DEEP, Johnny Z, E-40, Chaz Hayes, Mike Mosley, Davey D, Chuy Gomez, Buddha Bob, Walter Zelnick, Jo & Chris at Dogday, Travis aka TKO of Wherehouse Music in Novato, Doxx (believe it or not), Scott Gordon, Art Gonzales, Rob Nonies, Jeff Clanagan, Spice 1, Cougnut, Jason at Music People, Cellski, JT the Fig, and too many to list. Alot of those people have moved on to other things and some have all the way fallen off and some are stgill here trying to get their piece of the pie. The fact is, the Bay has long been missing "an establisment" within the music business. The days of the mom & pop, the record pool, college radio, music industry seminars like GAVIN, unsigned hype contests, DJ's that actually "broke records" yada, yad, yada etc.

Anyway, my point is, some of you are too young in the game to remember, some of you were there. WE need to bring the game back to the Bay. I don't just mean money, and politics and all that but I mean solidarity and individuals willing to put it on the line to get results. Now, I dont want any responses to this post talking about, "what distributors need to do", or "how week the next cats shit is" cuz all of that is counter productive. People have voiced their opinions but I can say this...

MY CONCIENCE IS CLEAR!!! If this music shit falls into the ocean tommorow, I did my part for the game. I provided jobs and opportunities for countless numbers of established, and up and coming artists and labels and broke bread with plenty of magazines, designers, printers, mastering companies and studios (you all know who you are). If it sounds like I am getting off topic, check this out and see my point, the talk is getting done but the action is being taken. I have discussed this on numerouse occasions with the big homie HERM, Cuda, Chuck from Done Deal, Black Dog from Murder Dog, Chuy Gomez all my rap comrades and plenty of other industry cats who WILL support whatever we do but someone has to step up. I don't know how, when or where but it has to be done before we lose all that we got left.

I'm in favor of the conventions, seminars, a music union, all that. Boycott radio, whatever. But we need a voting body. The same way the majors have the RIAA and the indie (non rap labels) have the AFIM. I propose the company be named for a company I already have incorporated called THE LABEL GROUP. It is the perfect name for a body of labels and affiliates that need representation in the game. I say that this company have a board of directors and specialize in addressing issues that face the indi rap game and taking it to Washington DC, radio, major labels and whoever else we have grievances with. This company should charge union dues to cover costs and use these dues to assist in securing legal representation for labels as well as hiring staff for marketing purposes and even having in house graphic designers, photographers, recording studios, manufacturing etc. All available to member companies at a discount.

I sound like a revolutionary but I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and those of you who know me, know that I don't get involved in much but when I do I got alot to say. You also know I have been stressing lately about the path that the game is going down. These are just ideas, but let's get the dialogue going and see what we can do with our collective thinking caps.

There are a lot of vocal and intelligent cats on this board like Tact Out, Cuda, A-Wax, Mac Pacino, LIL CS, Sick Wid it etc. and we could probably do some damage as a unit. I don't want anyone to take this post the wrong way though as an inivation for distribution deals etc. I am an employee at Bayside much like a McDonald's manager and I answer to people so some of the decisions I make as the VP of Urban Music over there are strictly from a distribution standpoint. When I am not at Bayside, I am a record label owner, retail store owner, artist manager, consultant, rapper and any other hat I can wear. My contacts and resources in this game run deep and I feel it is time we pooled these resources.

I am working on a book called GHETTO ROYALTY about the rise and fall of the Bay Area rap game and I hope my last chapter can be about how the Bay rose to it's once known prominence once again.

With or without people though, I am going to launch the LABEL GROUP and see what happens. The first project is going to be a DVD called THE RAP GAME 101, and you can guess what it's going to be about. An informative DVD on what to do and what not to do in this shit. I've already got 40 in it, Black Dog from Murder Dog, Violet Brown at the Wherehouse, Rick Rock and too many others to list. We are dropping science in this one and it will take the viewer on a step by step journey through this game.

My apologies for this long post. I had to get it off my chest. I look forward to seeing everybody at the Siccness and I am proud to be sponsoring it with Hitworks, Cuda and Press A Demo so that some good networking can take place.

Peace and be safe. Support indie rap!!!

Apr 25, 2002
5 STAR POST B.......YALL NEED TO READ THAT AGAIN.B,GET AT ME WITH THOS #`S WHEN THEY SRT8N IT OUT BIG DOG.....E-MAIL ME OR CALL

N

NASTY NATE

Cats always use the term "REAL TALK" very loosely....But this is some of the REALEST talk I've heard in a minute....B you never cease to amaze me with ya knowledge of the industry....I hope you put ya plan into effect and succeed big homie....God knows your due to make it big in this game one way or another....

C-4

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Very well said 12,

Something has to be done about the current state of music here within the Bay. Nothing is going to happen that we ourselves don't make happen, we HAVE to come TOGETHER and fight for what we need and what we want, work together so ALL OF US can be successful and at least have an equal shot with these silver spoon fed industry hoes who don't have to struggle on this independent circuit that you hear so many people outside of the Bay yap about these days which WE CREATED

Good Luck in whatever you choose to persue 12, I don't wanna say I can speak for everyone, but I think I can say that most if not all of us will be here to back you up as you can become one of the leaders in this shit and help us all take it to the next level and bring it back and take it even further than what it once was.

Craig AKA C-4

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
I been hearin' this idea for years and years and I wholeheartedly agree. Shit I had ideas for this kind of thing back in the heyday of the Bay. If it happens it would be beautiful and B, you know I would be involved in it from the get go 'cause we got history like that. The main problem I see though is egos. The classic "Too many chiefs, not enough indians" story. There's a lot of strong personalities in the Bay who will get all bent out of shape when things in the organization go opposite of the direction they want. In order for it to work properly and be recognized as a legit factor in the music industry (not just the Bay 'cause this shit is bigger than the Bay), egos would have to be kept in check and decisions and moves made by the voting body would have to be respected and supported by everyone.

Before this thing gets off the ground there would have to be a MAJOR MAJOR roundtable discussion so everyone knows what being involved means to them and where they stand.

I agree with everything you said B...

Except one thing:
Doxx (believe it or not)
OUCH!!! I don't know how to take that. Thanks I guess for mentioning me at least.:classic:

Gone,
Doxx

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
IM ALWAYS DOWN TO HELP DO WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE.... PEOPLE THAT KNOW ME, KNOW IM ORGANIZED AND KNOW ALOT FOR SOMEONE YOU WOULDNT EXPECT TO KNOW WHAT I DO.... BUT FACT IS, I ALWAYS LISTEN, TO WHAT PEOPLE TALK ABOUT, ASK QUESTIONS, AND LEARN ABOUT WHAT IM DOIN, THATS WHY IM ABLE TO TALK THE WAY I DO.... LIKE I SAID IN THE OTHER POST.... WHEN WE PUT OUR STREET CREDENTIALS AND ALL THE OTHER B.S. ASIDE, AND GET DOWN TO BUSSINESS, THEIR ARE A GROUP OF US HERE ON THE SICCNESS AND IN THE GAME THAT WE COULD GET TOGETHER, AND START A FOUNDATION, AND BASICALLY SOMETHING LIKE.... YOU KNOW WHEN YOU GO BUY A USED CAR... SOME ARE CERTIFIED THAT THEY HAD AN INSPECTION AND ETC.... WELL IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR GROUP OR LABEL TO BE A PART OF OUR FOUNDATION, YOU COULD GET CERTIFIED WITH US.... AND THAT WILL ASSURE ANY DISTRIBUTOR OR CONSUMER THAT THEY ARE GETTING A QUALITY WELL PUT TOGETHER PROJECT, AND THAT IT WILL BE PROMOTED PROPERLY..... THEIR IS JUST SO MUCH ON MY MIND ABOUT THIS, I COULD TALK FOR DAYS... THEIR'S SOME HOLES IN MY THOUGHTS, BUT THEIR IS ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES OF WHAT WE COULD DO..... IM DOWN TO GET TOGETHER AT THE SICCNESS AND START TALKIN BOUT THIS.... IM DOWN, TALKING ABOUT IT, IS THE START OF WHATS TO COME....

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
B12... I'm a tell you like this. You know me, and what type of cat I am. I am with anything it will take to bring some kind of unity and allegiance to the Bay Area industry. First off we have all been taught not to trust each other on the streets, and we bring that attitude in to this music game and it doesn't work. If we all build a business relationship where everyone's best interest is primary, we all benefit from it. We all aint gone be rich, so if we we basin this on money, alot of yall still gone be mad at the end of the day. This is not just rappers and rap labels, but producers, managers, promoters, graphic designers, mags, etc... We always post something like this every six months. If it's really in our heart to make a change, then let's get past this initial beginning talk and begin the dialogue to make it happen. That goes out to every one of us who feel they want to be a part of this. Either we part of the solution or we in the way. Cats like Cuda and B12 really take away from their day every minute they are on here, especially if it aint nuthin on here beneficial to read about. What B12 is asking I been about. Ask all the artist on here that I have supported with appearances, production, and game. I know every cat I dealt with will say I'm a stand up guy and have passed along somethin I learned even if I got nuthin from it. And I can attest that cats that I have filtered through have the same passion that I have for the Bay game, and that's where it lies. Do you really want to be looked at as a viable market? Then what are we doing to make that happen. Plot, Plan and Strategize. Figure out the cancer, and then lets set forth on a path to correct the many blows that have set us back as a formidable market.
Just my 2 cents....

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
^^^I AGREE FULLY WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID MAC.... COULDNT OF SAID IT BETTER.... EITHER YOU PART OF THE SOLUTION, OR YOU JUST IN THE WAY.....

SO WHAT WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT IS??? WHO IS PART OF THE SOLUTION??? AND WHO WANT TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION, I MEAN REALLY, DONT JUST SAY IT, CUZZ IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, BUT BECAUSE YOU ARE DOWN 150%.... I KNOW I AM, AND LIKE I SAID, I KNOW THEIR IS A GOOD CORE OF US HERE THAT CAN HELP MAKE A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER IN THE MUZIC GAME IN GENERAL.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
CHECK THIS...

It's more than just us on this board. I know cats who have labels but have never posted here. This has got to be bigger than the Siccness(Sorry Vamps)... Think of all the labels in the Bay. Of course it starts here buit that doesn't make us no better than the next man that wants the same change, but may not be apart of this online community. Let our actions speak louder than words...
Here's a quote from a book I am soaking game from:

"Any momentary triumph you think you have gained through argument is really a pyrrhic victory. The resentment and ill will you stir up is stronger and last longer then any momentary change of opinion. It is much more powerful to get others to agree with you through your actions, without saying a word. Demonstrate, do not explicate..." Now that's game from the beginning of time yall...

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
^^^ EXACTLY, IT STARTS WITH US, BUT THEIR IS SO MUCH MORE OUT THEIR..... THE FACT IS, WERE GONNA NEED PEOPLE FROM ALL AREAS, BASICALLY LIKE A REP FOR EACH AREA WE WANT TO COVER..... GET AS MANY PEOPLE INVOLVED THAT WILL BE DEDICATED.... AND HOPEFULLY EACH PERSON WOULD HAVE SOMETHING THEY BRINGIN TO THE TABLE TO HELP THE FOUNDATION..... FROM THEIR WE CREATE OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS, AND ETC...

FACT IS, NOT JUST 1 PERSON IS GONNA BE ABLE TO PULL THIS OFF.... ITS GONNA TAKE A GROUP OF US TO COME TOGETHER..... AND ANYTIME YOU GET A GROUP OF PEOPLE WITH EACH OF THEIR OWN THOUGHTS, SHIT GETS DIFFICULT..... THATS WHY THE RIGHT PEOPLE THAT ARE OPEN MINDED AND ABLE TO HAVE AN INTELLIGENT CONVERSATION ARE GONNA NEED TO STEP FORWARD.... LETS SET SOMETHIN UP..... OR WE CAN START AT THE BBQ, AND THEN SET UP SOMETHIN..... BUT LIKE MAC WAS SAYIN... TALK IS GREAT, BUT WE BEEN TALKIN BOUT THIS.... LETS REALLY MAKE IT HAPPEN THIS TIME, OTHERWISE WE ARE JUST IN THE WAY....

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Shit, we're all gonna be at the BBQ this Saturday....

And even though it's mostly for people to get together, get their drink on and have a good time, we can step off to the side for an hour or so and have a little powwow.

Gone,
Doxx

Apr 25, 2002
B-12: Your post was definately one of the better ones in recent times. I appreciate that you are conscious about those things and took the time to express your views to all of us. I can't think of anything I didn't agree with and it's certainly a relief to know that a few cats have the music business in the right perspective! That's really all it takes to get the ball rolling. I believe in everything you said and hopefully cats will follow your lead with this one.

Quality post man, 5-star!