So I Just Moved Away From Salem, OR & Then This Shit Happens

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 8, 2003
Source: http://hightimes.com/news/ht_admin/4470

(SALEM, Ore.) - A proposed law for Oregon would radically alter the availability of marijuana for adults, by allowing the herb to be purchased in liquor stores. The Oregonians For Cannabis Reform 2010, say the Oregonian Cannabis Tax Act would make cannabis products legal and available in a retail environment. Proponents say it will mean millions and millions of dollars for Oregon's state coffers and many predict that the move would literally salvage the state's unstable economy.

Backers of this Initiative say their plan would send 90 percent of the proceeds from the state's sale of marijuana to Oregon's General Fund, which could lower the state tax burden significantly. Portions of the revenue would be used to fund drug abuse education and treatment programs.

But right now, the people bringing this opportunity for Oregon voters forward, says their effort needs money, equipment, and, most of all, volunteers.

But they say the payoff will be enormous, as the Cannabis Tax Act (CTA) will take the lucrative marijuana market out of the black market, where children and substance abusers often control it today, and place it in state liquor stores, where the age limit of 21 and older is strictly enforced.

Advocates also say it will be like a rebirth of the Oregon farmer. Farmers will be licensed to cultivate cannabis for both medicinal and adult private use. Farmers will be able to grow industrial hemp without a license, for paper, fabric, protein and oil, under the new proposed law.

Medical Marijuana

While the overall law as it is proposed addresses all marijuana use for adults, there are specific allowances to aid the ongoing battle for the rights of medical marijuana users. The CTA will allow doctors to prescribe untaxed cannabis through pharmacies, so patients won’t have to grow their own or buy medicine illegally.

The law would modify Oregon's program and ultimately, see it appear more similar to California, where dispensaries are already available for people using marijuana legally.

They say that while accomplishing so many things, the law would also raise millions of dollars in new public revenue, lowering the tax burden on all and saving taxpayers money by taking the profit out of crime.

More than marijuana, the CTA will restore industrial hemp, the most productive agricultural source of fiber protein and oil, and a huge aspect of American heritage. Hemp seed oil is diesel fuel. The first cordage, cloth and paper were invented from hemp fiber.

Advocates say the laws would virtually wipe out the black-market. "The CTA allows police and the courts to concentrate on real criminals that hurt others, not arrest, prosecute and jail harmless, productive adult cannabis users. Stop our government from tearing families apart. Let’s show real family values and end cannabis prohibition."

The OCTA will wage its campaign to help stop the War on Cannabis by challenging the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act- it's credibility and effectiveness. This is the law that was precededd by mass hype and hysteria fed to the American public by Harry Anslinger, (see: Harry Anslinger page on Wikipedia) a dubious U.S. politician who worked with Dow Chemicals and Dupont in the 1920's and 30's, to demonize marijuana and place it in an illegal category, in order to get their new "synthetic rope" on the market. In truth, the natural hemp fiber is to this day, superior in strength, quality and durability.

It would appear that Anslinger was a conservative who truly believed marijuana to be a threat to the future of American civilization, yet his biographer maintained that he was an astute government bureaucrat who viewed the marijuana issue as a means for elevating himself to national prominence.

Paul Stanford of the Oregon Cannabis Tax Act, told KATU that the measure would also put a dent in illegal dealing of the weed.

"We want to take marijuana out of the hands of children and substance abusers, who control the market today, and put it in the hands of the state's liquor control commission and the age limit of 21 will be strictly enforced," Stanford said.

Others say it is simply the time to do this, and the next presidential administration will almost certainly live up to statements that they will be supportive of state's legal rights to pass marijuana laws, and redirect federal agents and protocols. This clears the path for very large steps as medical marijuana tests and research continues to yield one new medical application after another.

Dr. Phillip Leveque of Molalla, Oregon, first became familiar with the positive health-related aspects of marijuana in the early 1950's, while studying at the Oregon Medical School in Corvallis. That was a bottle of marijuana cough medicine from before Harry Anslinger's time. Leveque is a WWII combat veteran. As a physician, toxicologist and pharmacologist, Dr Leveque offers sound reasoning. "I would be far more surprised to see someone come up with something it is not helpful for, as a medical property." He says little time is passing now between large developments that show marijuana's potential role in society as a legal product.

Supporters have two years to collect nearly 83,000 signatures to get the measure on the November ballot in 2010. They say you can learn more about this proposed new law for Oregon, by visiting this page: CannabisTaxAct.org/oregon/

also check out - http://www.myspace.com/oregoncannabistaxact

Jan 16, 2008
fuck that, if i could vote against it i would....i would need to get a real job...

the only reason this law would pass is cause the stoners would vote for it and the fuckin high up people wanna take the money from workin people and turn it into a fuckin rich man owned corporation

Sep 4, 2002
fuck that, if i could vote against it i would....i would need to get a real job...

the only reason this law would pass is cause the stoners would vote for it and the fuckin high up people wanna take the money from workin people and turn it into a fuckin rich man owned corporation
I would give it over for sure, if I could legally buy the shit and smoke it in public in certain places and it keep its quality and price. I would do that shit in two seconds.....

Jan 16, 2008
^^^ i feel u bro if you just a straight smoker..but im thinkin where is the money goin if this shit goes thru?...i mean i'd love for when i get piss tested and they see i been smokin that nobody cares but it might just turn this shit into a clone of the tobacco industry

Jul 10, 2002
I remember when I was up in Van. B.C. at their smokeshops/volcano lounges, and I was choppin it up with the dude behind the counter, and was I like 'it'd be so dope if we had these down in Seattle' and he said, yeah, it would be, but it'll prolly happen in Oregon first, as thats where a majority of the foreigns come from. I know I'd be headin' south much more often if this became law. That'd be tight, but its still prolly a couple years out, although, how fresh would it be for Oregon and the NW to be a Vanguard on the bud front, leading the way ahead of Cali, you know Cali would then have to follow suit, then Nevada (vegas), it'd be the domino effect, lol....