Shaq headed to Celtics?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5436289

Shaquille O'Neal has decided to join the Boston Celtics, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. He is expected to tell the team of his intentions Wednesday morning.

The length of the contract is not known, but O'Neal, who has been seeking a two-year deal, will play for the veteran's minimum of $1.4 million annually.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers began pursuing O'Neal last month when the two met in Orlando. Boston and the Atlanta Hawks were the two clubs most interested in O'Neal, and sources say O'Neal chose the Celtics because he believes they have a better chance of winning what would be his fifth NBA championship.

O'Neal, 38, averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds last season for the Cleveland Cavaliers. In the Cavs' six-game loss to Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals, he averaged 13.5 points and 5 rebounds in 23 minutes a game.

Although O'Neal is no longer the dominant force he was for most of his 18-year career, he will bolster a Celtics' front line that will be without injured starter Kendrick Perkins for the first few months of the season.

Earlier this summer, the Celtics added Jermaine O'Neal, signing the veteran center/power forward for the full mid-level exception of $5.7 million.
Comcast SportsNet-New England reported Tuesday that Shaquille O'Neal and the Celtics were close to agreeing to a deal. With Celtics general manager Danny Ainge out of town on vacation, an official news conference is expected to take place next week.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
he has officially signed. i dont think hes going to help the team much at all if any im just glad one of my favorite players made a stop in boston on his nba tour

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
damn how much cap space do the celtics have to be able to get all these veteran guys that are past their prime
none he has to take the vet minimum or boston has to do a sign and trade with cleveland that will send rasheed wallaces 6mil expiring contract that way.

Oct 10, 2005
1 yr at the vet minimum is a no brainer this is a nice pick up, plus shaq taking the vet minimum says off top he leavin his ego at the door

if anyone could manage shaq itd be doc

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
1 yr at the vet minimum is a no brainer this is a nice pick up, plus shaq taking the vet minimum says off top he leavin his ego at the door

if anyone could manage shaq itd be doc
plus he been playin in the league with the other wheelchairees for quite some time so theyre all pretty much on the same level agewise and attitude-wise. this will be the prime team gunning for the heat. opening night is at the garden too? shaq aint too happy about being left out of the mix in miami.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
To match Kobe's 5. Plus he'll have a chance at getting back at Kobe (while playing for their rival Celtis) because the Lakers will probably be back in the finals if they're healthy.

Mar 18, 2003
i think the celtics were his last hope. if anything hes probably making them worse
I would agree with this IF he were to start for the Celtics, which I highly doubt he will. You have Jermaine O'Neal and Perkins, both of which will probably see more playing time than him. If he comes off the bench behind these guys I don't see how they're not better. Aside from that you have Wallace who is gone, and Semih Erden?

Nov 7, 2006
i dont care what age shaq is. shaq off the bench is scary for any team we face. he was the only player on that cavs team last year in the playoffs that actually showed up and played his ass off. he isnt kobe where he was known to be fast and is now slowing down, he'll play the same we he had for the past 4-5 years and it will help us plenty (specially in the playoffs)

Jan 18, 2006
Considering all the scoring threats the Celtics already have Shaq will be a factor and hes that inside presence that the Celtics were missing. I love the signing, it keeps them 1 step ahead of the Heat cuz the Heat have no decent sized center

BABY

Jun 23, 2010
Considering all the scoring threats the Celtics already have Shaq will be a factor and hes that inside presence that the Celtics were missing. I love the signing, it keeps them 1 step ahead of the Heat cuz the Heat have no decent sized center
they got 7'4" illgauskas and he can shoot the three

Jan 18, 2006
Big Z i forgot about but he is over the hill like a mothafucka, i wouldnt be surprised if this will be his last season. Imagine how many times Rondo will drive to the hole and passes to Shaq for a dunk will happen this season

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Its a good pick up for Boston. You get a veteran who doesnt mind being a role player if it may lead to a ring. He's playing for the veteran minimum, and spitting time with Jermaine until Perkins is healthy. He obviously isnt what he once was, and he seems to know that, Shaq is good at a few things that arent going to go away, he can score inside, he is aggressive, and most of all he is a big dude that takes up space. If shaq can play to his strengths, and it helps their bottomline, there you go, good signing for them.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
All I kno is all the guys from the celtics better take this summer resting, kiccin bacc and takin it easy and not partying, there're old guys on that team so they need all the rest they can get, the bulls are better and young the magic are better and young, and well we all know about the heat

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
on ESPN they were saying it could hurt the Celtics because it's gonna force Rondo to change his game, because he plays similar to Nash, and Phoenix got worse with Shaq on the team