Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Golden Tate Theft a Joke for Seattle Seahawks, but Sets a Horrible Precedent

M BUTCHER 206 went ahead and wrote an article about the Golden Tate incident and posted it at seattlepi.com....lol JK he didn't. But the dude that did write this article seems mad that he can't get away with gankin donuts lol

The Seattle Seahawks franchise and fanbase should be ashamed of themselves.

Seriously, people.

On June 8th Golden Tate broke into the Top Pot Donuts establishment below his Seattle area apartment, reportedly en route to stealing some allegedly delicious maple bars. Nothing of great value was stolen, but the night baker received the fright of her life.

Now, I can take a joke as well as anyone, and one look at my profile picture will let readers know my take on donuts, but this is no joke.

This one minor technicality from breaking and entering.

Period.

Please, Seahawks fans, stop pretending it isn't.

Pete Carroll laughed off the incident in a tweet, saying: "A great maple bar is a great maple bar, right golden?? They don't come along everyday...a classic TopPot temptation."

Um...

What?

Way to go coach, you have effectively hamstrung yourself (quite publicly) when it comes to any future discipline of a similar nature.

Then again, knowing Carroll (and today's likely USC sanctions), it isn't like discipline is going to be something the Seattle Seahawks will be known for.

It seems like that the fact this was a donut shop is lightening this story for everyone. Should that even matter? The law doesn't differentiate between breaking and entering when the establishment provides tasty food stuffs.

Be honest. If this had been a teenage kid, he'd have taken a ride downtown and would have been facing a judge at the next available opportunity with a highly incompetent lawyer in tow.

What if the night baker had recently watched a local news story about a nighttime crime and decided to start bringing a handgun to work.

Bu, no one was hurt and this was a football player, so we all laugh and make jokes about how funny it is that he would steal donuts.

So what if Tate got a diamond earring urge after consuming one-too-many alcoholic beverages? Or what if he had just shoplifted some Twinkies from the nearest Kwik-E-Mart?

Still no big deal?

This is a horrible precedent for the Seahawks (although not surprising to start the Carroll era) and for the NFL in general.

The NFLPA spends valuable time and resources trying to get NFL players to act like and be treated as businessmen. The union and league host symposiums and weekend retreats to educate young players on NFL life.

"Theft 101" is not one of the courses.

Neither is "Intermediate: You Get Whatever You Want" (although, Reggie Bush would be a great instructor).

All this is moot if it was just a horribly planned endorsement stunt—Top Pot is a new sponsor for both the Seahawks and Coach Carroll.

However, if it was a stunt, who in their right mind would OK this? Tate's and Carroll's agents should never have let their clients anywhere near this. The Seahawks' PR people could have planned something much less risky.

Top Pot said it wasn't a stunt, however, and isn't risking its deal by pressing any charges. One can assume that the night baker won't either but will be well compensated for her troubles.

So the stage is set.

If you're a Seattle Seahawk, you get whatever you want, and the coaching staff, media, and fans will just joke about it.

Let's see who gets the last laugh.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-for-seattle-seahawks-but-horrible-precedent

Feb 14, 2004
Getting defensive

To Pete Carroll, the whole point of playing defense is to make things as uncomfortable as possible for the opposing offense.

As the Seahawks wrap up their offseason with the three-day minicamp this week, their new coach is starting to feel more comfortable about his defense’s ability to do just that this season.

“We’re going to be able to do a lot of stuff like we like to and try to make it uncomfortable for our opponents and their offense,” Carroll said. “So at this point, I’m very pleased with that.”

As with the offense, and all the changes on that side of the ball, the real proof for the defense will come once the player put on the pads when training camp practices begin in late July – and especially once the preseason games start.

Will the pass rush be able to generate more than the 28 sacks the Seahawks posted last season, which played directly into the pass defense ranking 30th in the league? Did the club do enough in free agency and the draft to upgrade a unit that ranked 24th in total defense, and lost three starters – defensive ends Patrick Kerney (retired) and Darryl Tapp (traded) and strong safety Deon Grant (released)?

Rather than make the kind of big splash in free agency that often turns out to be a belly flop, first-year general manager John Schneider acquired defensive linemen Chris Clemons, Kevin Vickerson and Robert Henderson in trades. The club also selected free safety Earl Thomas in the first round of the NFL draft and then re-signed veteran safety Lawyer Milloy to mentor, and possibly start opposite, him.

It’s also significant that two of the three coaches that Carroll retained from last season are defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and line coach Dan Quinn.

But even more than who plays this season will be how the Seahawks play – with speed and aggression.

“I think we have a pretty good understanding of what coach Carroll wants to run and how he wants to play,” middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu said.

With that said, here’s a closer look at how the defense is coming together:

Line – Clemons, who had eight sacks for the Oakland Raiders in 2007 and played the past two seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, was brought in to play the “Leo” end spot that Carroll learned while an assistant coach with the San Francisco 49ers and used with so much success at USC. But the real “find” could turn out to be the move of 323-pound Red Bryant from tackle to left end.

This tandem provides the ability to pressure the quarterback from Clemons’ side and the bulk to stuff the run from Bryant’s side.

“Personnel placement is so important, getting guys in the right spot,” Bradley said. “Like Red. He was inside, now he’s outside. And he’s doing well outside. That’s a great example of personnel placement to the scheme that we want to achieve.

“And with Clemons, credit our guys in personnel and D.Q. They saw him on tape and felt he could come in and help us, and up to this point he’s doing a real nice job.”

The interior remains the same, with Colin Cole at nose tackle and Brandon Mebane at the three-technique spot.

But versatility could be the key to more productivity this season, especially rushing the passer. The coaches plan to use the pass-rush skills of Aaron Curry, last year’s first-round draft choice, as a blitzer from his strong-side linebacker spot but also as an end in the nickel defense.

“There are going to be roles for guys, and that’s what we’re trying to find out now – who best fits which role,” Bradley said.

The new-look line also includes incumbents Lawrence Jackson and Nick Reed at end and Craig Terrill at tackle, as well as fourth-round draft choice E.J. Wilson (a 298-pound end) and Vickerson and Henderson.

Linebackers – The real key will Tatupu’s return to leading-tackler form from the shoulder injury that ended his 2009 season after only five games, and allowing him to use his instincts to flow to the ball after he was asked to play a delay-before-reacting style last season.

“I like the things we’re doing and it’s just comfortable out there,” Tatupu said of the using some variations of the 3-4 defense and asking the cornerbacks to play more aggressively at the snap of the ball.

One thing that came out of Tatupu’s absence was the emergence of David Hawthorne. After stepping in for Tatupu, Hawthorne led the team in tackles, shared the lead in interceptions and finished third in sacks. With Leroy Hill’s prolonged absence this spring, Hawthorne has moved to the weak side with the No. 1 defense.

The coaches are also expecting – no, demanding – more from Curry, after his performance dropped off last season when Tatupu went down.

They also have depth and versatility in Will Herring, who is capable of playing all three spots; promising second-year player Anthony Heygood and rookie Dexter Davis, who was drafted as an end but has been moved to linebacker.

“There’s strong competition,” Bradley said. “And guys are learning multiple positions. That can help, as we found out last year.”

Secondary – As with the linebackers and Tatupu, this unit was not the same without Pro Bowl left cornerback Marcus Trufant, who was not the same even after returning from the back issue that forced him to sit out the first six games.

The more aggressive style of play being installed by the coaches plays to Trufant’s strength.

“Tru has really taken to it,” Carroll said. “He has no problem at all doing the things we’ve done.”

On the right side, Josh Wilson continues to be the starter. But Kelly Jennings is showing that his role could be expanded from playing the right side in the nickel when Wilson slides inside to cover the slot receiver. Waiting in the wings is fourth-round draft choice Walter Thurmond, who continues to rehab the knee injury that ended his senior season at Oregon.

“Josh is so competitive, and then Kelly Jennings has really done a nice job all through OTAs,” Bradley said. “So there’s another spot where there’s competition, and who knows how that will play out once we get through training camp.”

At safety, Thomas’ range brings an element that has been missing. Jordan Babineaux, the starter at free safety last year, is competing with Milloy to be the strong safety. Also in the picture is fifth-round draft choice Kam Chancellor, a 232-pound strong safety who seems to be getting better with each practice.

“We’ve done a lot of stuff with the defense,” Carroll said. “We’ve made a lot of progress.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...efensive/a79e118b-5d9a-4af0-a682-cc7d33b77f85

Feb 14, 2004
Former 49ers GM McCloughan joining Seahawks

Scot McCloughan, who abruptly left his job as general manager of the San Francisco 49ers three months ago, is joining the Seahawks front office to work in the football personnel department, according to Mike Sando of ESPN.com.

McCloughan worked for the Seahawks as their college scouting director before being hired by the 49ers in 2005.

"It's huge for us because Scot is one of the most respected personnel people in the league," Seahawks general manager John Schneider told Sando. "He played a critical role in helping the Seahawks become a Super Bowl team (in 2005) and did a great job in rebuilding the 49ers over the last few years."

He was relieved of his duties by the 49ers in mid-March, saying he needed to work on some personal issues.

McCloughan, a former minor-league baseball player, worked with Schneider in both Green Bay and Seattle before being hired to oversee the 49ers personnel department in 2005. He was promoted to general manager in San Francisco in 2008.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/211954.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Golden Tate signed

Second-round draft pick Golden Tate has come to contract terms with the Seattle Seahawks, a fact announced by Tate himself on his Twitter account Wednesday morning.

Tate's tweet says: "Praise God!!! Terms and conditions have been reached for the seattle seahawks! Let's play ball!"

The former Notre Dame wide receiver is expected to be a large part of the Seahawks' plans this year as a big-play receiver who should challenge for playing time immediately both at receiver and kick returner.

The National Football Post says the deal is for four years at $3.261 million, including $1.471 million in guaranteed money.

That's a lot of Top Pot maple bars, but nothing out of line in the NFL world where Tate -- as the 60th overall pick -- falls neatly in between the amounts agreed to earlier by the 59th and 61st selections.

The Cleveland Browns on Monday signed Tennessee running back Montario Hardesty to a four-year, $3.372 million deal with $1.572 million guaranteed. Hardesty was picked 59th, one spot ahead of Tate.

The New York Jets previously signed Massachusetts tackle Vladimir Ducasse, the 61st selection, to a four-year, $3.225 million deal with $1.435 million guaranteed.

Seattle now has just two unsigned draft picks -- first rounders Russell Okung and Earl Thomas -- with training camp scheduled to begin Saturday morning.

The Seahawks haven't yet officially announced Tate's signing. When they do, they'll need to release someone off the current 80-man roster to make room.

Tate is the 17th of 32 second-round picks to sign around the league, but only two first-round picks have agreed to terms thus far.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/216019.asp

Feb 14, 2004
^Not me. I'd like to, but I have to work. Going to be busy as hell the next few weeks. I want to get some tickets for the home opener, though.

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks agree to deal with 1st-round pick Thomas

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Seahawks have reached an agreement with safety Earl Thomas, one of their two first-round draft picks.

A person familiar with the deal says it's a five-year contract worth $21.1 million, including $12.32 million guaranteed. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been signed.

A Seahawks spokesman confirmed the agreement on Saturday night but wouldn't reveal the terms.

Seattle selected the 21-year-old Thomas out of Texas with the No. 14 pick in the April draft. He missed two practices on the first day of training camp.

Left tackle Russell Okung, drafted by the Seahawks with the No. 6 selection, remains unsigned.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/2020ap_fbn_seahawks_thomas.html

Feb 14, 2004
Seattle agrees to $58M deal with Okung

RENTON, Wash. -- Russell Okung came to terms with the Seattle Seahawks on a six-year contract Friday and wasted little time taking to the field.

Okung, the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft, joined his teammates about 15 minutes into the afternoon practice and was working at left tackle.

A person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press earlier Friday that Okung agreed to a six-year contract worth more than $29 million guaranteed and a maximum value of $58 million. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team isn't releasing contract details on the last first-round pick to sign.

The Seahawks did confirm the deal was done on Friday morning.

Seattle selected Okung in April's draft out of Oklahoma State to replace retired All-Pro left tackle Walter Jones. New Seahawks coach Pete Carroll named him the starter the day he drafted Okung.

Okung missed the first six days of Seattle's training camp.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_okung.html

Mar 24, 2006
NFL ref: My mistakes 'impacted' '06 Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowledged he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

"It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly," Leavy said of the game in February 2006. "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

Several calls went against the Seahawks in their 21-10 loss to the Steelers. It was Seattle's only Super Bowl appearance.

This week is the first time since that game Leavy has been in Seattle with the Seahawks. He and a mini-crew arrived Thursday to help with the team's practices and give it a rules presentation.

Leavy didn't specify which plays he "kicked" that day in Detroit.

Early in the fourth quarter, tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1. After the penalty, Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception, and then was called for a low block on a play that ended with him tackling Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor on the defensive back's return.

The penalty moved the Steelers from their 29 to the 44. Pittsburgh used its better field position to score the clinching touchdown four plays later.

The next day, then-Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren told fans at a civic gathering at Qwest Field, "I knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts, as well."

Holmgren, now a top executive with the Cleveland Browns, has since said he's gotten over that game.

But Leavy hasn't.

"I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn't good enough," said the retired police officer and firefighter in San Jose, Calif., who became an NFL referee in 2001. "When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It's something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it's difficult."

When high-profile referee Ed Hochuli visited the Seahawks' training camp in the months after that Super Bowl, he and his crew took good-natured ribbing from players.

"The Super Bowl was one of those games where it seemed the big calls went against Seattle," Hochuli said in August 2006. "And that was just fortuitous -- bad fortuitous for Seattle.

"The league felt, actually, that the Super Bowl was well officiated. Now, that doesn't mean there were no mistakes. There are always mistakes, but it was a well-officiated game."