Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Adam Schefter just reported that Patrick Kerney retired today.
RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks defensive end Patrick Kerney has announced his retirement.

The two-time Pro Bowl selection and 2007 All-Pro said in a statement released by the team on Tuesday that he wants to continue his career, but "the toll that has been taken on my body will no longer allow me to."

The 33-year-old Kerney has tried to play following shoulder surgeries in the seasons since his last Pro Bowl year in 2007.

Kerney was drafted 30th overall by the Atlanta Falcons in 1999. He played eight seasons for the Falcons and three for Seattle.

I thought he had at least one more season left in him.

Feb 14, 2004
Adam Schefter reportings:

To facilitate trade talks between Broncos and other teams, WR Brandon Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender Tuesday.

Now that Brandon Marshall has signed his tender, Denver is officially allowed to discuss potential deals for its WR with other teams.

Feb 14, 2004
Restricted free agent wide receiver Brandon Marshall signed his contract tender offer with the Denver Broncos on Tuesday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, which opens up the possibility of a trade in the coming days.

Marshall agreed to his $2.5 million tender from the Broncos, Schefter reported. That move gives Denver the ability to trade Marshall for less than the first-round compensation that would have been required prior to his agreement.

The Seahawks, of course, are at the head of the list among prospective trade partners as Seattle is the only team Marshall visited during the free-agency period.

It would figure that Marshall will be traded either prior to or during the upcoming draft, given the Broncos are seeking draft picks in return. The draft begins with the first round on April 22.

So stay tuned ...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/201679.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Yes, that is Chris Spencer back at center for Seahawks

There were a lot of new things to see when the Seattle Seahawks opened their first mini-camp under Pete Carroll on Tuesday. But one old thing was very surprising.

Chris Spencer, who lost his starting job at center in the final weeks of the Jim Mora regime, was back in the middle of the Seahawks first-unit offensive line when the team ran through drills with new line coach Alex Gibbs.

There has been much conjecture whether Spencer would even be part of the Seahawks future with the new coaching staff making numerous changes already. But while much can still change between now and training camp in July, the former first-round draft choice appears again to be part of the plan.

While guard Rob Sims was traded to Detroit, Spencer remains with the team and has been flip-flopped back to his old spot, with Max Unger shifting back to right guard.

What gives?

"I'm a center," Spencer said after Tuesday's initial workout. "That's what I do. Unfortunately last year I broke my thumb and all the debacle with that. But I'm a center in this league. We had a talk about that and that's where I'm at."

Spencer said he expects that situation to stay the same going forward.

"We haven't talked about anything but center," he said.

Spencer, 28, has started the past four years after taking over for Robbie Tobeck. But with the line struggling last season and Spencer having trouble snapping the ball left-handed after breaking his right thumb, he was moved to right guard for the final three games.

The shift was seen as a demotion and the clearance for Unger to move permanently into the middle, but the new coaching staff appears to prefer the old format as it seeks the most athletic group of players for Gibbs' zone-blocking schemes.

"The first day he said, 'You can't play fat in this offense,'" Spencer said. "You've got to be able to run and go and get back to the huddle and run it again. Run the same track over and over again."

To that end, Spencer said he's in excellent shape this offseason with a chance to finally get healthy.

Two years ago he missed much of training camp following offseason shoulder and thumb surgeries. He then started 11 games in 2008 before going on injured reserve with a herniated disk.

He recovered from the back injury well enough to start 14 games last season, but struggled at times while playing with a cast on his broken right thumb.

"It feels real good to be back out there being smooth and not worrying about if this hurts or that hurts," Spencer said. "I'm feeling good. This has been a good offseason for me, where I can actually train and prevent some of these freakin' injuries that have been happening to me."

As for the Seahawks new blocking schemes with Gibbs?

"We've got a lot of different techniques," said Spencer. "He's a technician and he's on you. He's going to push you to make you better. It's been a good thing. The techniques are a lot different, but it's a good difference.

"We're almost in extreme zone (blocking) now," he said. "We're really getting to the sidelines. We used to run a lot of tight zones, but that's kind of taken a backseat to the wide zone plays."

While Spencer took a lot of criticism last year as part of the struggling line, he said he's happy to start fresh and isn't surprised he's still part of the Seahawks.

"I didn't really focus on all that," he said. "My focus was getting into the offseason and starting to train early. I wasn't even worried about that. I knew I could play football and being here or there was the least thing on my mind. Wherever I'm at, I know I can play football, so that's not a question.

"But I'm excited to be back here with a new coaching staff coming in. We had a really good talk about some things and I'm just excited to be back in Seattle. I love Seattle. I don't want to leave Seattle. I'm excited to be back in a new offense and working on new things and see where this thing carries."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/201743.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks reportedly sign both Williams receivers

After taking a look at former first-round draft picks Reggie Williams and Mike Williams at their first minicamp under Pete Carroll, the Seahawks reportedly have signed both wide receivers to their roster.

Both players were out of the league last year and Mike Williams hasn't played in the NFL since 2007, but each showed enough in their three-day tryouts to apparently earn an invitation to the team's regular-season training camp that will begin in July.

The Seahawks haven't officially announced any signings, but nfl.com reported that two former USC players -- Mike Williams and fullback Ryan Powdrell -- had agreed to contracts.

Eric Williams of the News Tribune is reporting that Reggie Williams, the former Lakes High and University of Washington star, has also signed.

Carroll mentioned each of those names after Thursday's conclusion of the three-day camp as players who had shown well during the tryouts.

Carroll loves big receivers and the two Williams are virtual clones, both in the 6-foot-4, 230-pound range.

Both also have had off-field issues and were disappointments after being top 10 picks in the draft.

Mike Williams caught just 44 passes for 539 yards and two touchdowns in three seasons with Detroit, Oakland and Tennessee. He was a huge success in two seasons at USC under Carroll in 2002-03 with 176 catches for 2,579 yards and 30 TDs, but unsuccessfully tried to challenge NFL rules that say players can't enter the draft until three years after they leave high school.

After sitting out a year, Williams gained considerable weight and was out of the league in three years. He's now slimmed back down to 235 and looked relatively fit in his tryout, though it remains to be seen how effective he'll be after two years out of the game.

Reggie Williams didn't play last year after being released by the Jaguars at the conclusion of his five-year rookie contract.

After a sensational three-year career at Washington, Reggie Williams put up decent numbers in five seasons in Jacksonville with 189 receptions for 2,322 yards and 18 touchdowns, though never quite lived up to the expectations of a No. 9 draft pick.

He is currently on probation for cocaine possession stemming from an arrest in Houston in April of 2009.

But both Williams were at one time considerable talents and each is 26 years old, seemingly still in their prime if they can get into top shape, so this is an interesting move by the Seahawks to come up with help for their receiving corps.

Ironically it was Powdrell who made the best catch in Thursday's session with a full-extension diving grab over the middle. He'll be a candidate to back up Owen Schmitt on the Seahawks' roster as veteran Justin Griffith has not been re-signed.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/202196.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Is Marshawn Lynch the Complementary Back the Seahawks Are Looking For?

Marshawn Lynch is absolutely the extra running back Seattle desperately needs. Personal issues aside, Lynch has been nothing short of stellar for the Buffalo Bills. He is exactly what the Seahawks need for tough yards, but he could easily reemerge as an every-down back.

He was drafted 12th overall by the Buffalo Bills in the 2007 NFL draft. In the last three seasons he has obtained 2,601 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns. Not only is he a power back, but he has excellent hands.

If you have ever watched Lynch in a game you could see how much power he runs with. He was the only offensive highlight in Buffalo in 2007 and 2008. In 2009 he was suspended three games for a weapons charge. In Week 12 he lost his starting spot to Fred Jackson.

Yes, Lynch has a criminal past, but he is ultimately nothing more than an every-down power back that plays hard for his team. That's what I want to see in Seattle. Not the "He's a criminal; I don't want him on my team" philosophy.

Not only did Lynch play with Justin Forsett at Cal, but they are also best friends. How is that not the ultimate complementary running back tandem? Best friends that play for the same team at the same position.

The Buffalo Bills are shopping Lynch for a second-round pick. Why not pull the trigger on a 24-year-old, Pro Bowl running back? I could see the Seahawks trading two fourth-rounders for him. The point is that Seattle needs a player like Lynch to complement Forsett's speed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/379086-is-marshawn-lynch-the-complement-back-we-are-looking-for

Feb 14, 2004
reggie williams. i dont think its offical yet but i dont know if i want him here
It is official. And why don't you want Reggie on the team? The first 3 WR spots are already filled (Housh, Branch, and Butler), so him and Mike are going to be fighting for the 4th spot, and Seattle barely uses 4 WR set. Getting him at a league minimum for his potential is a good move.

Dec 3, 2005
Shit i ran into Leroy Hill on Wednesday, asked him if he was going to Lofa's wedding reception which was today, he chuckled and said no. figure he must be going back to Georgia to deal with some legal shit since the latest arrest. Then Lofa came through on Friday night on his way to his reception with two guys from his wedding party, said his wedding in Puerto Rico went smooth, his wifey Rachael is pretty cool, theyve known eachother since junior high..... anyway....Congratulations Lofa!! heres to a good 2010 2011 season!

and the schedule gets released tuesday...please god let the first home game be on my birthday Sunday September 12th, nothing better than kickin it in Lofa's suite for my birthday and the first homegame

May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
Not a seahawks fan by any means but I'm a biiiiig time lofa fan. He's an awesome MLB. Quiet year for him last year dealin wit injuries etc. Hopefully comes back healthy this year n plays at a high level again.

Also good shit dugress. Sounds fuckin awesome to spend ur bday to watch a hawks game IN lofas suite. Now thaaaats what I call a birthday!!! U got an extra tix for yaboy or whaaaat?!?!?! LOL.

Dec 3, 2005
haha lofa suggested i take my dad after he just lost his, anyway he comes thru my work every now and then and we got to talkin one night and he offered me two tickets to any home game i wanted next year. he's a really cool guy, i was so thankful for the offer and my dad is hella excited to go too. im hoping he gets back to his pro bowl level this year too after being injured most of last year. we did get two shutouts with him on the field last year though!

Feb 14, 2004
Eric Berry a future Seahawk?

After watching last week's Seahawks minicamp, it's exceedingly clear what the new regime must accomplish in an NFL draft now just three days away.

Without question, the Seahawks will add a safety and an offensive tackle in the first two rounds. You can put several other positions on the wish list as well, but those two spots simply have to be addressed with the goal of landing players capable of starting immediately.

Seattle currently has just two safeties on its roster, veteran Jordan Babineaux and practice-squad holdover Jamar Adams, an undrafted free-agent last year out of Michigan.

One backup safety during minicamp was DeAngelo Willingham, a cornerback on last season's practice squad. The other was Quinton Teal, a former Carolina Panther who was in on a tryout but not offered a contract at the end of the three-day session.

They could still bring back Lawyer Milloy, but he wasn't able to beat out Babineaux or the since-released Deon Grant last season and isn't getting any younger at 36.

That's why I see Seattle snapping up Tennessee standout Eric Berry if he's still available at the No. 6 position Thursday, given he's not only regarded as one of the best players available, he fills a huge need.

But as every Seahawks fan knows all too well, offensive tackle is also a gaping trouble-spot. Ray Willis, who started at right tackle last year, was working at left tackle in minicamp as the new regime flip-flopped Sean Locklear to the right side.

But Willis clearly is more of a placeholder than a long-term solution there. With numerous quality tackles available at the top of this draft, Seattle will definitely get one. The only question is whether they grab their man at the No. 6 spot or if they're confident enough in getting the right athlete later in the first round.

There are several ways this could play out, given GM John Schneider's preference of trading down with one or both of his 6 and 14 positions. Schneider believes strongly in acquiring additional picks if the right offer can be made and my inkling all along has been that Seattle will move down to lower in the first round in order to pick up an additional second- or third-rounder.

But they'll do so only if they believe they can still get players who solve those obvious needs at a slightly lower spot in the first or second round.

So to me, there are two likely scenarios:

• The Seahawks pick Berry at 6 to take care of that problem. Which means, however, they'll miss out on the premier left tackles -- Trent Williams, Russell Okung and Bryan Bulaga.

In that situation, I see them trying to trade trade down from 14 into a late first-round position and still getting someone like USC tackle Charles Brown, an athletic 303-pounder who fills the zone-blocking mold and is a known commodity for Pete Carroll.

• Or they go the other direction and take one of the top tackles at 6. Then they could trade down from 14 and presumably still land a quality safety -- either Earl Thomas from Texas or Taylor Mays of USC.

There is more quality depth at offensive tackle than safety, which is why I'd lean toward option No. 1 and grab Berry unless they are super-sold on Mays or another prospect later in the draft since Thomas might be gone before even their No. 14 pick.

If they do trade down, the key obviously is to add an additional high pick and still get the man they'll desperately need to step in right away and play.

But if they can pull it off, then they've also got their own pick at No. 60 in the second round, plus whatever new pick they can add by trade, in order to fill other needs -- like a defensive end, a big running back, a cornerback, a receiver and more offensive line depth.

All those spots need filling, just not quite in the same glaring fashion as safety and left tackle.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/202488.asp