Santa Clara Police shoot & Kill 24 year old Santa Cruz Rapper

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 13, 2005
rip,
Friends ask why police fatally shot area rapper
By Lisa Fernandez, MEDIANEWS STAFF
Article Created: 04/09/2008 03:31:20 AM PDT

Aziz Howard Raqmond James was considered a rising star in Bay Area hip hop. A talented 24-year-old Santa Cruz rapper, he performed throughout California. But James — known to audiences as "Almighty Aziz" — became suddenly violent at a party last weekend following a performance by his group, according to relatives and friends. He stabbed two friends and a police dog, then was fatally shot by Santa Clara police officers.

It should have ended differently, those close to him said Tuesday. They question whether police did everything they could to defuse the situation before using deadly force. They wonder why officers couldn't have negotiated with James or used a stun gun on him.

"Aziz was trippin'," said longtime friend and fellow rapper Eric Munoz, 24, of Watsonville, who goes by the name Ghambit. "I was like, 'Dog, what's happening, bro? What's wrong?' And we tried to warn the cops: Don't send in the dogs. But that's what they did. It just got out of control."
James' brother, Howard James III of Santa Cruz, can't believe his younger brother — his sidekick — is gone.

"We went everywhere together," he said Tuesday. "My parents are devastated. He was their baby. I just don't think police did everything they could have. Why didn't they even try to talk to him, at least over a phone? He wanted their help."

Police won't say much about the deadly predawn scene — the first officer-involved fatal shooting in Santa Clara since 2005. Officer Scott Fitzgerald, a 16-year veteran of the force, and Officer Troy Johnsen, an eight-year veteran, were placed on routine administrative leave following the shooting. As is standard, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office is investigating.

"It would be inappropriate to discuss the tactics used, since this is still being investigated," Lt. Mike Sellers said. "But you need to look at the totality of the situation. Here's a person who stabs a person at a party, jumps through a glass-plate window, runs to a neighbor's house, jumps through their window and then stabs another friend who tried to calm him down. He may be a nice guy, but my concern is what the officers were faced with."
Officers resort to deadly force, Sellers said, when someone is believed to "cause imminent harm to himself or another human being.
"I appreciate all the questions people are asking. It's an unfortunate thing," he said.

Aziz James, a graphic artist, grew up in Watsonville and Aptos. He and his group, the Warlordz, had wrapped up a gig at Avalon Night Club in Santa Clara and were partying with about a dozen people at a house on Crystal Drive early Saturday morning. Around 3 a.m., James called his older brother.
"He was jokin' around. He seemed to be fine then," Howard James III, a drug rehabilitation counselor, told MediaNews.
But friends say he began acting paranoid and then, Munoz said, he went berserk.

James stabbed a friend and jumped through a window, running out of the party. Munoz said people were drinking beer at the party, and perhaps smoking a little pot. But he never knew James to take hard drugs — in fact, he preached against hard drugs. Munoz can't understand what happened.
"He was frightened," Munoz said.
James ran two houses down and entered another by breaking a window, police said. He also ended up stabbing another friend who came to calm him down. Friends won't identify the stabbing victims, but said they are both out of the hospital.

James had no known criminal record in California. His brother said he has no known history of mental illness. Friends theorize someone may have spiked James' drink or marijuana with something stronger.
Friends and family say they will lodge a formal protest and complaint against Santa Clara police for their handling of the situation.
When Howard James arrived at the scene about 5 a.m. — his brother had called him at 3:52 a.m. saying there were "people out to kill him" — he tried asking police to go inside and talk his brother down.
The answer was no.

Finally, at 6 a.m., Howard James saw two police dogs go inside the home.
"I heard them breaking down the door," he said. "I heard dogs barking. Then I hear the gunshots. Six fast ones, then two more. Like firecrackers."
A police radio barked out: Shots fired, shots fired. Paramedics, then fire crews, arrived — and left. But no one came out on a stretcher.
"I knew he was dead," his brother said. "A Sunnyvale cop said, 'I'm sorry for your loss.'"
Funeral arrangements are pending.

Jan 1, 2006
R.I.P.

Shooting someone is never right.. Not every cop is equipped with a stun gun, nor are all of them trained to negotiate.

In any situation the outcome can be always be flipped. But with police that's just something that's not going to happen.

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
its a sad story. it seems like maybe the kid did pcp or something and lost it. from what i read, it looks like the cops didn't have many otgher options. like dutch said, if u fuck with one of those police dogs, its on and poppin. cops consider those dogs as one of their own and yall know what happens when u hurt a cop, all cops will come gunnin for u till they get u one way or another.

Oct 28, 2003
tney had to do something ,but that something didn't have to be fatality shots. This though should be kind of lesson to some of the drug abusing rappers in the bay

Jul 23, 2007
what kind of dog was it? wonder if it was a german sherpard,dude musta been hella mainey to stab that dog fareal,them dogs be hella big...i heard u can get life just for killing one of them k9s

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
he was prolly tweeking hella hard ....

youre not that agile on pcp

but hey who knows

i think if he was shermed out he wouldnt have just all the sudden flipped in the middle of acting normal nigga woulda been trashed the entire time and barely able to talk

Jun 5, 2004
i dunno about pcp, maybe...

but i been drunk doin all kinds of crazy shit that aint like me... i mean i never jumped through windows and stabbed people, but i have been way out my body before

May 16, 2002
That was my Homie, shit's not cool.

R.I.P. AziZ

Gypsy, Kandyman, Almighty AziZ (R.I.P), Nitemare and Birdman (my nephew).

Street-Connect, Ghetto Ballin' Ent, Ineffable Records, and 2Face Ent. Reppin' in the house that night...all lovely.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
yall know a hell lot about sherm
exscuse my drug knowledge

its a wonder what the show cops can teach you

i also like the stereotype that any nigga who dares to get naked and run around aimlessly has to be on pcp as well

regardless of the substance or even if he just snapped when sober, RIP...

ive jumped through a window and stabbed someone on alcohol + xanax...
two seperate issues, luckily the cops did not come for that