San Antonio Spurs official thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2005
Scrimmage was cool they played a whole 4 quarter game instead of splittin 15 min scrimmages. Bruce Bowen was listed on the program as an assistant coach. Tim Duncan won the 3 pt contest too LOL. DeJuan Blair looked like a damn beast out there, hes gonna wreck shit this year for a rookie.

Sep 17, 2005
Courtesy of ESPN SPorts Guy Bill SImmons:
Healthy, happy, rested, in shape. He's already the greatest power forward ever. He already has four rings. But you know what he doesn't have? When he's 60 years old, or 70, or 75, or whatever, and one of his grandkids says, "Grandpa, what was the best team you ever played on?" … he doesn't have an answer. He never played for a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners, dominant team. Kareem had the '87 Lakers and '71 Bucks. Magic had the '87 Lakers. Wilt had the '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers. Bird had the '86 Celtics. Shaq and Kobe had the '01 Lakers (playoff edition). West had the '72 Lakers. Oscar had the '71 Bucks. Moses had the '83 Sixers. Duncan has nothing.

Now, you could argue that the league is too diluted at this point. (And maybe it is. The '01 Lakers were our last kick-ass team.) Or, you could argue that Duncan never had a season in which everything fell into place. In my basketball book (coming Tuesday!!!), I wrote a chapter about the specific set of dynamics that separate championship teams from memorable championship teams. It's complicated and I won't spoil it here. Just know the 2009-10 Spurs qualify for "memorable" status. They have the talent, they have the "Eff You" edge (a term I explain in the book), and they have something that Gregg Popovich likes to call "appropriate fear." Here's how he explained that phrase in 2005:

It gets more difficult after a win to come back and understand how that subconscious sort of complacency can set in. You can't allow that to happen. You have to keep an appropriate fear of your opponent so that complacency will dissipate as soon as possible.

This particular Spurs team has the right level of appropriate fear: fear of aging and complacency coupled with an appreciation for how fast things can fall apart (thanks to Manu's ankle the past two seasons), and beyond that, the reality that their best player might only have one great season left in him. I am a Spurs junkie. I love reading about them. I love the way they put their rosters together and value chemistry so deeply. I love the way they interact during games (as I've written many times). I just get a kick out of them. And the truth is, this might be their last chance for a dominant season with Tim Duncan leading the way.

I think it happens. If only because great basketball players have a habit of somehow finding that one great team. They are my pick to win in 2010. Convincingly.
Tim Duncan, first to five baby....

Apr 20, 2003
I remember an article not too far back that I read on ESPN.com about Tim shedding 15 lbs. for this upcomming season! He wants to stay healthy since the last few years he's been plagued by injuries. Can't wait for the season to begin as well Sav

Apr 20, 2003
Our bench was solid last night...... Blair was beasting n we had a solid outting by Mcdyess, great guys to back up Timmy while he takes a breather! What freakin annoys me with Bonner is his defense. Dude can't rotate for shit nor clog the paint, but does shoot the 3 ball good(even with an ugly shot) so it evens out a bit.

Sep 17, 2005
Yeah Bonner is good for the 3 but thats about it. Im sure once the season moves along and new players learn the system McDyess will be startin instead of Bonner. Also Blair was beastin but his size is a huge disadvantage on D for his position.

Apr 20, 2003
Fuck!!!! We took a shlacking to the hands of the Bulls tonight..... That dreaded back 2 back syndrome is starting the rear its ugly head back in for the Spurs.