RIP Survivor Series

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 30, 2008
hatemachine.us
-Vince McMahon stated during this morning's WWE conference call that the WWE Survivor Series title is "obsolete." He added that the title has "outlasted its usage" and that they do not intend on using the name going forward.

"We think that Survivor Series is obsolete, as far as that title is concerned," McMahon said. It was something that worked many, many years ago, in terms of a creative standpoint, various teams competing. That really is not advantageous as the consumer now looks as what actually they are buying. And it's such a broad ... Survivor Series yes, many years ago, was one of the original four pay-per-views, but it's outlasted its usage and it is one of the things in terms of rebranding, this year and going forward, that will be rebranded. No longer will we have that title, Survivor Series."

While WWE's new gimmick-themed pay-per-view events out-performed their 2008 counterparts, last year's Survivor Series took a sharp hit as the show drew 235,000 buys, down 26% from 2008 (319,000).

Oct 3, 2006
i think their still keeping the concept but just changing the name right? if thats the case not much big of a deal

Oct 3, 2006
agreed...I can put my money that if they jus use 4 ppvs alot more people would order em...cause it would make it have more value and a big deal to order em like wrestlemania

Jun 9, 2007
from what I read they're considering not only doing away with the name, but the whole concept altogether, which would make sense from Vince's comments... the buy rate for it was fuckin embarrassing, I dont think a name change alone is gonna change that.

I dont know about 4 PPV's a year, but I think 6 would be a good number...

Sep 22, 2007
You've gotta be fucking kidding me. THIS was my favorite PPV out of all of them I love the concept & matches it produces. Good going Vince. Can't wait for "Buried Alive" PPV.

ET23

Sicc OG
May 22, 2008
They should replace it with War Games...that was my shit from back in the old wcw days. Or bring back a whole King Of the Ring pay per view.
I just don't see why they'd get rid of something classic like Survivor Series....

Feb 8, 2003
i think their still keeping the concept but just changing the name right? if thats the case not much big of a deal
No they completely done with survivor series. they gonna use the old wcw ppv gimmicks & concepts under different event names you can vote for them now here they are below.

WWE > WWE considers bringing back WCW concept PPVs
Posted by Chris Kaufman on 02/11/2010 at 11:41 AM

WWE currently has a survey where they ask interest in the following themed events:

Tournament Event (Single elimination "bracket style" tournament where Superstars would compete in multiple matches during the night to become the tournament winner.)

Battle Bowl Event (Random tag-teams compete together - sometimes arch rivals - with the winning teams being put in a 2-ring Battle Royal. The winner could potentially receive a championship title match.)

Money in the Bank Event (The main event "Money in the Bank" match requires Superstars to climb a ladder and retrieve a briefcase hung high above the ring. The winner can "cash in" the briefcase for a championship title shot throughout the year. Qualifying matches earlier in the event will determine participants for the "Money in the Bank" match.)

Legends Event (Match participants would include WWE Legends from the past.)

Roulette Event (Main event match stipulations would be determined by the spin of a roulette-type wheel.)

War Games Event (Teams of 5 collide in 2 cages. 2 participants begin the match with a new participant added every 5 minutes. This process is alternated between teams until all members from both teams are present.)

WWE Draft Event (WWE's annual Draft where Superstars and Divas learn which brand they'll be a part of for the next year. The Draft is often the beginning of new conflicts and matchups.)

Street Fight Event (Main events would include"street fight" matches where there are no disqualifications and pin-falls count anywhere. Superstars often compete in normal street clothes.)

Click here to take the survey

Feb 8, 2003
agreed...I can put my money that if they jus use 4 ppvs alot more people would order em...cause it would make it have more value and a big deal to order em like wrestlemania
thing is they got a way bigger roster then back in the days. Now they will have to do ppv every month to get all the feuds and storylines over.

Feb 8, 2003
Theres going to be a survivor series this year.

WrestleMania XXVI
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Glendale, AZ
University of Phoenix

Extreme Rules
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Baltimore, MD
1st Mariner Arena

Over The Limit
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Joe Louis Arena

Fatal Four Way
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Uniondale, NY
Nassau Coliseum

Money In The Bank
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Sprint Center

SummerSlam
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Staples Center

Night of Champions
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Allstate Arena

Hell in the Cell
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
American Airlines Center

WWE Bragging Rights
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Target Center

Survivor Series
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Miami, FL
American Airlines Arena

WWE Tables, Ladders & Chairs
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Houston, TX
Toyota Center

Apr 30, 2008
hatemachine.us
While WWE still had the Survivor Series listed on their 2010 pay-per-view calendar, a new Variety article on WWE pay-per-view business confirms that WWE will be "re-tooling" the concept this year because of "eroding sales."

Regarding the Survivor Series changes, a WWE spokesman said.....

If something gets tired or old, it's something we have to look at. It's just like any entertainment property. It's crucial to continue to reinvent yourself. WWE fans will tell you right away if they like it or don't like it and if it's something they don't want, we don't do it again