RIP Matt Garcia: Fairfield City Councilman

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
in all my years living in fairfield, i didn't meet this cat until a few months ago. he had been coming in to my work several times a week...he was always friendly, outgoing and positive...and at 22, he was one of the youngest elected officials in the nation's history. this was the exact type of shit he was working against in the city council...this pussy trend of driving up, shooting at someone, then speeding off has to stop...grow the fuck up people...schwarzanegger just offered a $50,000 reward for info leading to a conviction...RIP to Matt, and much love to his fam...

FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A 22-year-old Fairfield city councilman shot in the head died Tuesday at John Muir Medical Center, according to hospital representative Patty Heffner.

Fairfield Mayor Harry Price said at a news conference that the family of Councilman Matt Garcia had decided to "let him die naturally" at the Walnut Creek hospital, where he was taken with critical injuries after Monday night's shooting.

Matt Garcia arrived at a friend's house in the city around 8:30 p.m. Monday and had just stepped out of his car when someone fired several shots, according to police.

A single bullet struck Garcia in the back of the head, Fairfield Police Chief Kenton Rainey said.

Garcia was airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he was being treated in the intensive care unit, according to the hospital.

Mayor Harry Price said he and other city officials joined Garcia's friends and family at the hospital overnight after hearing of the shooting, Price said.

Price said at a news conference in front of City Hall Tuesday morning that many people had been praying for Garcia, and that elected officials throughout the Bay Area had reached out to offer support.

Authorities said they still were trying to determine a motive in the shooting and whether Garcia had been specifically targeted.

"We have no motive, no suspects," Rainey said. "We are very, very early in our investigation."

A witness described the suspect as 5’9” with a medium build, driving a mid-size American made sedan, according to Fairfield police. Multiple rounds were fired from a small caliber gun before the suspect re-entered the vehicle and fled.

Bullet casings were located approximately 50 yards from where Garcia was located and have been sent to the Sacramento branch of the Department of Justice for analysis.

Garcia was just 21 when he was sworn in last fall as a councilman in this city of 105,000, the Solano County seat.

Fairfield officials opened up the City Council's chambers Tuesday morning for those seeking grief counseling.

Jun 2, 2002
aside from being hella inappropriate, those jokes are pretty lame...

i can see making light of someone's death if they did some foul or stupid shit, but this was one of the few people in our age demographic that was trying to make shit better in the bay...it's sad how much some of u cats value a cheap laugh from your online homies that u have never met...

RIP

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
aside from being hella inappropriate, those jokes are pretty lame...

i can see making light of someone's death if they did some foul or stupid shit, but this was one of the few people in our age demographic that was trying to make shit better in the bay...it's sad how much some of u cats value a cheap laugh from your online homies that u have never met...

RIP
as opposed 2 u greiving over sum1 u never met.

Jun 2, 2002
as opposed 2 u greiving over sum1 u never met.
i definitely have met dude before...i said that i hadn't met him up until a few months ago, but i've had conversations with him several times a week since then. even so, he wasn't one of my close friends, so i wouldn't say i'm greiving over losing him in my life so much as greiving over the bullshit that surrounds me everyday in my city...and even then, i wouldn't even say that greiving is the right word...im just sick of all these pussies shooting over dumb shit, over females. he was a good dude, trying to better his community...i just don't see what's funny about him getting shot...maybe i lack a sense of humor, fuck it...

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
i definitely have met dude before...i said that i hadn't met him up until a few months ago, but i've had conversations with him several times a week since then. even so, he wasn't one of my close friends, so i wouldn't say i'm greiving over losing him in my life so much as greiving over the bullshit that surrounds me everyday in my city...and even then, i wouldn't even say that greiving is the right word...im just sick of all these pussies shooting over dumb shit, over females. he was a good dude, trying to better his community...i just don't see what's funny about him getting shot...maybe i lack a sense of humor, fuck it...
its definitly a shame but its the siccness open forum. rip

Apr 25, 2002
Matt was a good guy, who was trying to effect change in his city. If more of our generation was like Matt, our communities wouldn't be headed in the negative direction they are going. I am 5 years older than him and still everytime I spoke to him, he inspired me to get more involved.

Mar 13, 2003
Technically he's still on life support but the family chose to keep him on until 2morrow, so that friends can say goodbye to him....

On some real shit, this kind of dude is what we need for us the younger generation...Nobody understands the young like the young right?! Sad to see another young brother gone off of some bullshit, wether it was random or not! Never knew dude myself but i like what he stood for "positive change" A positive anything is better than a negative something!!!

R.I.P
Matt Garcia

Dec 19, 2005
yup Matt was a cool ass dude... Him and my sister where hella coo. his somewhate cousin was my sisters best friend and they used to kick it and have always remained good friends. Yesterday i seen it on the news and told me sister and she was out the door on her way to the hospital. anyways Matt would always come through to my bros tint shop and he would always bring us hella cars and he just always seemed too be hella positive and shit. i sucks to see someone like Matt die over some bullshit because he was tryin to make an impact in fairfield. He was only 21 and was already in office tryin to bring posititve to the kids.

he deserves a R.I.P

oh yeah they had his viewing today at 7:00

Dec 19, 2005
Cops: Councilman Running From Gunman When Shot
Reporting
Elyce Kirchner
FAIRFIELD (CBS13/AP) ― Fairfield Police say that Matt Garcia saw the gunman and was running away from him when he was shot in the head.

Today, the 22-year-old Fairfield city councilman died after being taken off life support, according to Fairfield Mayor Harry Price. And this afternoon, Gov. Schwarzenegger issued a $50,000 reward in the case.

Council Matt Garcia had been on life support at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek since being shot last night as he stood in the drive-way at a friend's house in Cordelia. Police say they believe one person fired several shots hitting Garcia in the back of the head.

Police are asking for the public's help in the investigation. They want anyone with information about the shooting to call Fairfield police.

"We have no motive, no suspects. We are very, very early in our investigation," said Fairfield Police chief Kenton Rainey. Rainey also said Garcia campaigned against youth violence and was making a difference in the community.

This afternoon, Gov. Schwarzenegger issued a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction in the case.

Garcia was just 21 when he was sworn in last fall as a councilman in this city of 105,000, the Solano County seat.
"Last week we had lunch with John McCain. John McCain came up to Councilman Garcia, shook his hand and said 'You are the vision for the future.' The future did not include getting gunned down when you're 22-years-old," fellow Councilmen Chuck Timm said.

Meanwhile, Fairfield officials have opened up the City Council's chambers for those seeking grief counseling.

(© 2008 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
R.I.P. young dude.......I talked to him some months ago and he really wanted to help the youth out in our community.........RIP....way to young and talented, was headed in the right direction.....