return of ecw...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
From pwinsider.com:

WWE IS BRINGING BACK ECW AS A FULL TIME ENTITY, MAKING PLANS TO SIGN TALENT FROM THE GLORY YEARS FOR NEW VENTURE
by Dave Scherer @ 2:56:00 PM on 4/23/2006

WWE has made the decision to bring back Extreme Championship Wrestling as a full time entity and has begun talking with former ECW talent about returning to work for the new version of the legendary promotion. As of right now, WWE is targeting a September return for the promotion. No decision has been made as to exactly how the company will be brought back yet. It's possible that it will take over the present OVW territory, that it will be a promotion that gets matches on the Raw and/or Smackdown promotions or possibly in some other manner. Sources have told us that Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer will be booking ECW when it starts up.

WWE has already contacted a number of ECW wrestlers and contracts will be sent out to them this week. The talents are being offered three year deals which consist of a series of one year contracts, with rollover clauses. A number of wrestlers have been contacted so far. We can confirm that WWE has talked with The Sandman, Francine and Balls Mahoney and will be sending contracts out to them this week.

We will have more information on this story later today or tomorrow.

Jan 2, 2004
Sounds pretty good.. I doubt they'll let the best ECW guys go down though. Unless they just make Smackdown the ECW show, but that's not going to happen.

So, I doubt RVD will be going to ECW if he's never going to be on TV. Hopefully, they bring back Justin Credible as he is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers.

Could be sweet as hell.. Hopefully its true, but I won't be getting my hopes up, yet. I know they said this shit last year, too.

Jan 2, 2004
Fridge said:
They're gonna have to bring the titles back... hopefully they make this move a good one.
Something I was wondering..

They let Rhino go.. He was world champ and TV champ..

They have doring and roadkill as far as I know, so they still have the last tag team champs.

Not sure what kind of deal Rhino has with TNA, though...

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
LATEST WRESTLING NEWS FROM WRESTLEMAG:
4/26/2006
WWE: Heyman misses OVW TV tapings as ECW meetings held in Stamford, CT; WWE vs ECW special to air on USA Network prior to ECW PPV
Wrestlemag.com @ 5:14 pm
by Phil Lowe
Editor, WrestleMag
E: [email protected]

The word we’re getting this afternoon is that Paul Heyman will not at tonight’s OVW TV tapings in Louisville as he is meeting with several senior members of WWE management to further discuss plans for the return of ECW, which is now likely to start up in June and not September as previously reported.

USA Network (and likely Sky Sports for those in the UK although this is still to be confirmed) will be running an ECW special as part of the build up to the ECW One Night Stand PPV on Sunday, June 11 with a two-hour special airing on Wednesday, June 7. The Nutter Center in Dayton, Ohio have today confirmed via their website that the June 7 show will see “WWE vs ECW Head to Head” with a 20 man Battle Royal being listed as the main event for the show. Several big names from WWE’s RAW brand will be featured on the show, with the plan for the ECW PPV still being for Rob Van Dam to take on either John Cena or Triple H in the main event for the WWE Title.

PW Insider are also reporting that WWE have contacted the former ECW Arena in Philadelphia, PA with a view to running a show there on June 24 - just two weeks after the One Night Stand PPV and also just a few weeks after TNA run at the venue with their ‘Hardcore War’ show. It’s likely that WWE will announce dates in other cities in the near future, with WWE already talking to management at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City (the venue for One Night Stand) to book future dates for running ECW shows.

Feb 8, 2003
Ra$an said:
mcmahon should just have this as a seperate company...
WWE owns it...
but let paul run the operations....and let paul do what he gotta do....

That suppose to be what they planning. I also heard that RVD is gonna have the ECW tittle when they first get it jumpin. Maybe he'll cash his breifcase in for a ecw tittlematch. bc Shelton issuppose to keep the IC tittle in june. so that means Rvd wont get it this sunday unless he lose it before June

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
Ra$an said:
if mcmahon does this..then tna is doomed...
Not neccessarily. You have to remember, those guys in ECW from 6 years ago, they just arent possible to physically do what they use to. Sabu is held together with duct tape and bubble gum, RVD needs a lil more oil on his joints etc etc... so regardless of the name, I think TNA will be fine. IF anyone will be introuble depending on how much control Paul Heyman has I think the only company that will be in trouble is WWE flagship shows. And a fourth (or fifth depending on how fast avalanche wrestling gets on tv) show will only benefit the business and the fans.

But again, you can put any initials on a product, you can have anyone run the show but above all it will be a different show.

Jan 2, 2004
Cesolito #1 said:
That suppose to be what they planning. I also heard that RVD is gonna have the ECW tittle when they first get it jumpin. Maybe he'll cash his breifcase in for a ecw tittlematch. bc Shelton issuppose to keep the IC tittle in june. so that means Rvd wont get it this sunday unless he lose it before June
Remember when Shane Douglas threw the NWA Title away and proclaimed the ECW Title as the true heavyweight championship...

History could be about to repeat itself..........

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
LATEST WRESTLING NEWS FROM WRESTLEMAG:
4/28/2006
WWE: ECW to replace Velocity; show to be taped prior to Smackdown! on Tuesday evenings
Wrestlemag.com @ 6:59 am
by Phil Lowe
Editor, WrestleMag
E: [email protected]

Sources close to the situation last night informed WrestleMag that the ongoing meetings between Vince McMahon, Paul Heyman, Tommy Dreamer and others yesterday in Stamford, CT resulted in McMahon deciding that the new ECW show would replace Velocity as a one-hour weekly show - at least for the forseeable future.

The plan right now is for the ECW show to air weekly via WWE.com until a television deal can be found in the United States, with the show likely still being available via Sky Sports 3 in the UK. Velocity will no longer air once the ECW show starts, meaning that WWE’s main weekly shows will be RAW, Smackdown!, ECW and Sunday Night Heat.

It was also announced last night via WWE’s text message service that the upcoming WWE vs ECW special on June 7 that will air on USA Network will also feature stars from Smackdown!. It was previously thought that the show would be made up WWE stars from the RAW brand joining ECW talent.