Renting with a felony?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Notes

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Anyone know how you can rent an apartment with a drug felony conviction (intent to distribute/manufacture)? I know you can have someone else on the lease and I know you can find a slumlord to rent to you. But are there any other ways? I heard something about giving a fake last 4 numbers of your social security number on the application and you basically come back non existant. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
your best bet would be to have someone else on the lease..just my two cents..
the homie tried to do that ssn shit at a job..they have ways of finding out. ie: "oh sir, your ssn came up inconclusive or for somebody else, can we see a copy of your ssn card to verify we have the right one." busted! lol
all they want is someone with clean credit, i mean just no felonies and no evicitions..if you know someone like that and they trust you, put them on there my friend

May 15, 2002
Yeah most places will run your credit to see how you handle your finances. I don't think they'll consider you if your report comes up erroneous. Like Rasan said, your best bet is to get it in someone elses name. You could also try and negoiate with a bigger deposit and maybe putting down more rent as extra security.

Nov 24, 2003
Most companies are only searching your financial records. If you give them your actually info, I bet less than half actually discover this legal info.

Nov 24, 2003
yeah that is true of some places. I was speaking on my experience in real estate out here and most of the companies I worked with never did background checks past credit reports and a lot of people didn't even run credit checks. It tends to be related to the size of the company you are going through. The larger it is the more procedures the follow, vs small owner managed companies that often don't go to the trouble.