Refugee Status To Those Fleeing Chavez Dictatorship?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 22, 2006
Chavez Denounces Effort to Give Venezuelans Political Refugee Status in the U.S.

By: Chris Carlson - Venezuelanalysis.com

Mérida, March 28, 2007 (venezuelanalysis.com)— On Monday, five Representatives of the U.S. Congress made a formal request to U.S. President George W. Bush to give temporary legal status to Venezuelan immigrants in the country, claiming that "there exists a dictatorship in Venezuela." Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez responded yesterday, accusing the United States of developing an international campaign against him.

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Connie Mack, Lincoln Díaz-Balart and Mario Díaz-Balart, all Republicans from the state of Florida, and Jerry Weller, Republican from Illinois, sent a letter to the U.S. President to ask him to order the Department of Homeland Security to temporarily stop the deporting of Venezuelans.

"We strongly believe that the Chávez government in Venezuela at this time is persecuting its citizens for their political views," said the representatives in the letter released on Monday, March 26th at a press conference in Miami.
"Time has come to admit formally that Chávez has established a dictatorship in Venezuela," said the Cuban-U.S. Republican Lincoln Díaz-Balart.

"What dictatorship?" responded Hugo Chávez yesterday on his TV and radio program, Aló Presidente. "We are installing an anti-dictatorship… The United States is the one who is a dictatorship. They threaten, coerce, invade and destroy countries," he said.

The representatives have requested that Venezuelans be given an immigration status similar to that given to Nicaraguans and Hondurans after Hurricane Mitch in 1998, and to Salvadorans following a 2001 earthquake. Or, as an alternative, the legislators asked that Bush grant asylum to Venezuelans, as was done for Nicaraguans who left their country in the 1980's after the Sandinista government came to power.

The temporary protection for Venezuelans could be implemented under a program called "Deferred Enforced Departure" (DED), which defers deportation of immigrants who could be endangered if sent back to their home countries, for reasons of political instability or other reasons. According to the U.S. lawmakers, the DED they are asking for is for political reasons or where there is a disaster in a country. "As a matter of fact, the freedom and lives of Venezuelans who return are endangered," said Lincoln Díaz-Balart.

The Venezuelan President denounced this as a campaign by the U.S. against Venezuela. "This goes around the world, in every language, and its repeated a million times. Millions and millions of people hear this and see this. It's a world-wide campaign, an ideological war."

Chávez read segments of the letter on his TV and radio show yesterday, using it as an example of what he called a larger information war against him and against Venezuela. "It has gotten worse, as we expected, the attack against Venezuela, and particularly against me, against the revolution in Venezuela," he said.

When questioned about the proposal, U.S. Ambassador to Venezuela William Brownfield declined to give his opinion, but said it was a "complicated" topic that does not only involve the United States but other countries as well.
Brownfield pointed out that "there are a growing number of Venezuelan citizens trying to get residency outside of Venezuela and we have to confront that reality in a way that complies with our laws, rules, and humanitarian principles."

According to the latest U.S. Census numbers, between 2000 and 2005 the number of Venezuelans living in the U.S. doubled to about 160,000, almost half of which live in Florida.

In 2004-2005 around 2,000 Venezuelans were granted political asylum in the United States. In 2005 alone, over 30,000 Venezuelans were issued green cards, compared to 17,000 in 1999 when Hugo Chávez took office.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Yeah they have it so bad down there, I mean, that guy is just so anti-capitalism and doesn't want to work with the US, he's got to GO!

Chavez is not as bad as the US media portrays him, and he's right about the US, to a certain extent.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
maybe he's not as good as all you non-residents of his country think either. or did that possibility never enter your train of thought?

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
phil said:
maybe he's not as good as all you non-residents of his country think either. or did that possibility never enter your train of thought?
I never said he was "good" I just said he's not as bad as the US media portrays him or did you miss that entire part of what I said genius?

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
you said he's not as bad as the us portrays him, but to the refugees he's obviously not as swell as you think.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
nobody ever seems to be able to explain why people float to america on refrigerators and broom handles. i wonder why that is? why arent people floating to venezuela or cuba? lake maracaibo is very nice and the countryside in venezuela is beautiful. why arent people fleeing the united states? where are all the american refugees in other countries?

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
phil said:
you said he's not as bad as the us portrays him, but to the refugees he's obviously not as swell as you think.
When did I say I thought he was doing "good"? I just said he's not as bad as the US makes him out to be. I think you're looking too deep into what I'm saying.

I never said he was good, I just meant he wasn't completely fucking horrible. I'm sure there are bad things about him, just like every other president/country leader in the world.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
maybe you should reread your post. you were being sarcastic about it being so bad down there. unless you were being serious this is thought to mean that its good. or did you just mean not as bad as the us? or what did you mean? or did you not know what the fuck youre talking about in the first place? dumbass, go hop on a sheet of plywood and float your faggot ass down there if its not as bad as we make it out to be. go experience poverty. poverty isnt welfare checks and section 8. the media wants you to believe that. thats not poverty. go to south america if you want to see poverty. or cuba.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i've been to a lot of different countries that you wouldn't know about, so dotn' tell me what i should or should not do.

if you dont understand what i'm saying, i'm sorry that you're a fucking idiot, but that's not my problem.

Where did I say "Chavez is doing a splendid job,"? Where did I say that? Tell me where. OR...where did I say, "he's a shitty dude, he fucking sucks,"? Where? Right, I'm not on EITHER side, because EVERYTHING has a middle ground you fucking moron.

maybe you should go to some places in the US where welfare and section 8 don't really exist and tell me about poverty inside OUR OWN COUNTRY. you don't need to go to mexico, or SA to do that. you fucking dumb ass.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Chavez is not as bad as the US media portrays him
or did you not type that.

maybe he's not as good as all you non-residents of his country think either.
did i not type that?

how is the media portraying him as bad? by reporting on refugees fleeing his country? thats what im saying, you probably dont think cuba is "as bad as the media portrays" either huh?

Mar 15, 2005
phil said:
nobody ever seems to be able to explain why people float to america on refrigerators and broom handles. i wonder why that is? why arent people floating to venezuela or cuba? lake maracaibo is very nice and the countryside in venezuela is beautiful. why arent people fleeing the united states? where are all the american refugees in other countries?

cuz they see TV, movies, magazines, and everyone else portraying America as a sort of "HEAVEN" on earth metropolis where everything is great and everyone lives healthy and long lives.....

they dont have access to the truths and entire facts....they dont know that when they get here they gonna be livin in a nieghborhood wit conditions jus as bad as the one they left......they dont know that they will be fighting for thier rights more often since they will also be discriminated against....they dont know that its very dangerous in America.....we kill oursselves at a much higher percentage than other countries and for even more rediculous and unimportant reasons......they dont know that the 5 dollars an hour they are makin isnt really shit cuz its American money and that means its worth more than thier countries.....

we are also brainwashed into thinkin this is the best place for us.....if i can get my life right i wouldnt mind movin to another country and not livin my life out in the US.....i could see myself retiring in Amsterdam or somewhere in the Netherlands.....maybe even south america......

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
ValleyPainProduct said:
cuz they see TV, movies, magazines, and everyone else portraying America as a sort of "HEAVEN" on earth metropolis where everything is great and everyone lives healthy and long lives.....

they dont have access to the truths and entire facts....they dont know that when they get here they gonna be livin in a nieghborhood wit conditions jus as bad as the one they left......they dont know that they will be fighting for thier rights more often since they will also be discriminated against....they dont know that its very dangerous in America.....we kill oursselves at a much higher percentage than other countries and for even more rediculous and unimportant reasons......they dont know that the 5 dollars an hour they are makin isnt really shit cuz its American money and that means its worth more than thier countries.....

we are also brainwashed into thinkin this is the best place for us.....if i can get my life right i wouldnt mind movin to another country and not livin my life out in the US.....i could see myself retiring in Amsterdam or somewhere in the Netherlands.....maybe even south america......
really? the difference in the shitty neighborhoods in their countries and ours is YOU CAN GET OUT OF OURS WITH HARD WORK AND NO EXCUSES OR EXCESSIVE WHINING THAT WE ARE "BRAINWASHED" (translates into SPOILED) in case you didnt know that. be realistic. what percentage of the world population could move to small places you mention before it turns into what they were escaping????? amsterdam and the netherlands are what they are BECAUSE THEY ARE SMALL. that lifestyle would not be feasible in a larger country. SOUTH AMERICA? BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Mar 15, 2005
how the fucc is my head up my ass if i want to move somewhere else???? am i paccin you in a box and takin you wit me???? why the fucc should you care???? its people like you that make this country so shitty.....always tellin people what they should think and do....and gonna act like you know it all......you have your own head up your own ass and it aint my problem so have a nice time in there....

Dec 25, 2003
^Ccytzo you for real makin alot of blanket statements.

I know plenty of paisas makin 7 dollars an hour out here that wouldnt trade it for shit they had back home.

Even if you are in the worst of the worst in American poverty, being poor in America or Europe is nothing compared to being poor in Africa, Latin America, or Asia. And believing that only in America is discrimination alive and well is yet another falsehood.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
WHITE DEVIL said:
^Ccytzo you for real makin alot of blanket statements.

I know plenty of paisas makin 7 dollars an hour out here that wouldnt trade it for shit they had back home.

Even if you are in the worst of the worst in American poverty, being poor in America or Europe is nothing compared to being poor in Africa, Latin America, or Asia. And believing that only in America is discrimination alive and well is yet another falsehood.
you dont even have to go to other countries to see this shit either, its right in your face if you watch anything other than mtv/bet. not saying americas perfect but you have more opportunities in this country than any other, imagine if you werent ALLOWED to get an education or a decent paying job. you lived your whole life knowing from the jump that all you would ever be is a fucking pee-on, that regardless of what you did you could never escape that. if you feel like that in america then you need to travel out of your box and see the world.

Nov 20, 2005
i'm too spoiled. i could NEVER live in nicaragua...then again i would probably have like 3 maids...so....never mind.

~k.