Reading is knowledge

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2004
Right now I'm reading:
"A Vindication of the Rights of Woman" by Mary Wollstonecraft.

It's a simple read... eventhough it's the roots of feminism it does not come off as that. She makes some great intellectual links and really makes you think of why women were treated and acted the way they did all the way up to the books publishing in 1792.

Hutch

Sicc OG
Mar 9, 2005
Has anyone read a book by Felicity lawrence titled "Not on the label: what really goes into the food on your plate"? Theres some scary shit in there, the foundation of the book is focussed on the industrialisation of food - gangmasters exploiting farm-hands, the big supermarkets only paying a fraction of what was promised to farmers, the importation of vegetables from developing countries when the same vegetables are being thrown out in the country of import etc.

She discusses how, because there is no tax on aviation fuel, England and Europe are going as far to sending their salad vegetables to Africa, where they exploit the workers to convert the vegetables into salad, packaging it and then flying it back to Europe - it's worse for the environment, worse for european farmers, exploits and underpays workers in developing countries, but it is CHEAPER!

Also, because of all the subsidies on maize and soy (primarily by the US and Europe), these crops are being produced in excess. This excess food is dumped on developing countries for less than production cost and are making it impossible for local farmers to compete. Also, the overabundance of this food is causing the adulteration of food to a greater extent than ever before - modified starches and soy oil are being added to 2/3 of the fast foods and, because they are very low in nutritional value and high in fats (and not the good ones!), not only is this making us more unhealthy, but it decreases the prices of junk food and makes it a cheaper than healthy foods, forcing the poor into an unhealthy eating pattern.

If you can get your hands on this book at the library, then give it a read - I guarantee it will open up your eyes!

Hutch

Sicc OG
Mar 9, 2005
4th branch said:
animal farm
brave new world
the communist manifesto (weither you agree with it or not, be aware of the concept)
zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
sophie's world
tao te ching
tao of pooh
te of piglet

They're all high school books - basic morals but nothing much else

Dec 25, 2003
No.
Jonathon Livingston Seagull has lessons for all to learn.
But I'd definitely prefer something tailored to a more advanced audience. This gives you the possibly of learning concepts that 'easy' books teach and then some.

Hemp

Sicc OG
Sep 5, 2005
Hemp said:
anybody know where i can find "They Thought They Were Free
by Milton Mayer " online or any links for it?

from the book:

"What no one seemed to notice," said a colleague of mine, a philologist, "was the ever widening gap, after 1933, between the government and the people. Just think how very wide this gap was to begin with, here in Germany. And it became always wider. You know, it doesn’t make people close to their government to be told that this is a people’s government, a true democracy, or to be enrolled in civilian defense, or even to vote. All this has little, really nothing, to do with knowing one is governing.

"What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.

"This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter.

Aug 18, 2005
Duke. I am sorry for thee. Thou art come to answer
A story adversary, an inhuman wretch,
Uncapable of pity, void and empty
From any dram of mercy

Antonio. I have heard
Your Grace hath ta'en great pains to qualify
His rigorous course; but since he stands obdurate,
And thatno lawful means can carry me
Out of his envy's reach, I do oppose
My patience to his fury, and am armed
To suffer with a quietnessof spirit
The very tyranny and rage of his

May 15, 2002
Endgame by Samuel Beckett.

It's a play, but still one of the most fascinating and insightful pieces of literature ever written. It's very short, just over 40 pages, but extremely dense. It may be hard to understand it at first because of the way the characters speak about things, but it's well worth the time. It shouldn't take anyone more than 2 hours to read, most could probably get through in a little over an hour.
Here's a link: http://samuel-beckett.net/endgame.html

Mar 9, 2005
On the Origins of Species is a good book, it does get extremely boring though. If I were you, I'd read Steve Jones - Almost Like a Whale (It's called Darwins Ghost in America). It's a very interesting, well-written modern version of The Origin of Species. I definitely recommend it.

Dec 2, 2004
those books that you posted up mac jesus. when i download them and open it up...it then opens up my image read and then a error box pops up and says "operation could not perform unkown format? wth?

Dec 3, 2005
i was checking first printings of alot of these historic books after watchin Capote the other day and shit is crazy on ebay. 1,000 for a keroac on the road, 5 and 10g's for some others.