Rasse Swedish siccnes from Malmö

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

EVERgREENRIDER

ResidentRocketScientist
Dec 18, 2008
At the Pump
You're able to communicate in English anyway you can try to make a song in English? I know it might not end up being your best work but it will give us a much better idea of your subject matter and rhyme structure. Welcome to the Siccness bruh, I appreciate the way you present yourself.

Lu_

Sicc OG
Jun 14, 2005
You're able to communicate in English anyway you can try to make a song in English? I know it might not end up being your best work but it will give us a much better idea of your subject matter and rhyme structure. Welcome to the Siccness bruh, I appreciate the way you present yourself.
I'm not speaking for Rasse, but this doesn't always come across as natural in the end. Some people are able to pull it off, others have difficulty losing that accent, or lack the same word play. Shit seems forced in the end.

I can give you some examples with some Croatian rappers. When they started out, most thought rapping in English was the way to go. Eventually they realized it wasn't as appealing as in their own language.

I can tell you they are a fuckload better by staying away from English lol

Jun 15, 2015
Malmö, Sweden
Hello again!

Sorry for my absence from the thread I've been away from home for a couple of days. I just want to begin with to say thanks for the love. I've started this with really no expectations, so to get good feedback from people from a musical environment that I respect a lot really have been an nice experience that proceeds what I could have imagined. And I especially want to thank NotAllThere who chose to get high to my music. I don't think you get a nicer compliment than that.

About me doing something in English. It would be a very interesting and hard challenge. I would have to build up a lot of confidence for it though. Just me singing and rapping was kind of a big step in the sense that it's something that relatively recently started to explore. So no I wouldn't deem it as complete impossibility, especially since a situation has occurred where the people who that have the nicest thing to say about my music don't know what hell I'm saying. And have admit I am myself a little frustrated because I do put a lot effort into my lyrics.

At same time I agree with you LU_, it is very seldom successful to rap in something other than your first language. As you say some can really pull it of, but in many cases it comes off kind of silly. I think you really have to know a language to do something relevant with it and even if you do it is a big chance that a lot of what is your identity is probably will go away by adopting something that isn't yours. It is funny that you mentioned Petter, who I'm, as you, is not a big fan of. Before him we had a situation probably very similar to the one you describe in Croatia. Swedish rap where almost exclusively in English and rap that where in Swedish wasn't taken seriously. At the same time real Hip-hop in general was a something marginalized and not really accepted by the mainstream. When he came with his debut in 98 it changed the whole climate. Suddenly everybody wanted to rap in Swedish and hip-hop gained lot of more acceptance by the mainstream public as well the establishment. He managed to make it cool to rap in Swedish and probably by that made Hip-hop communicate with and whole new audience. I always have compared us to the Danish, who always have had an tradition of rapping in Danish, which I think NotAllThere can testify to. I always felt that they much earlier and in a more natural way incorporated Hip-hop as a part of they mainstream culture and that could at least partly have to do with their early embrace of their own language in hip-hop.

It was also interesting to hear some Croatian rap, which is completely new to me. If I compare it to contemporary Swedish Hip-hop it did feel as Americanized or maybe I'm just imaging to make a point. Anyway, around this time we had some producers that did a really a great job with the New York boom bap sound. As great as some of those production were and felt very close in quality to their American counterparts they probably didn't have much of an own identity. I think this maybe ties in in to the discussion about language as well as what we who listen to underground music could be looking for, as I think why I never got into lot of Swedish Hip-hop has to do with that I always felt that it some weird way it has been to focused trying in adopting the contemporary and popular American sounds. And as with language it probably loses it own fingerprints, which is what we who love the underground often demand of our music

Last edited:

Lu_

Sicc OG
Jun 14, 2005
Yea, Petter's first album was well done though; production wise, it had a lot of nice samples as well

This song is prolly my favorite one

Btw, when he mentioned in the clip below that the hip-hop crowd was around 300 ppl in Stockholm, it was nearly identical for Zagreb too. You can also tell this type of sound was not money motivated at first. As he said, it was more so for the people around him. I've heard the same from Croatian rappers in their interviews for that same period.

Jun 15, 2015
Malmö, Sweden
Lu_;6418497]Yea, Petter's first album was well done though; production wise, it had a lot of nice samples as well

This song is prolly my favorite one

Good choice! That was the song that really changed things for Swedish hip-hop. Hearing him rap now makes it kind of hard to imagine that. It's an excellent beat, which I agree with you is something that goes for most of that whole first album, but his flow is very basic and his wordplay is sometimes cringe worthy. But at the time you really hadn't heard anything quite like it and it really changed the perception of what Swedish Hip-hop could be. So even if I find him boring and mediocre as fuck, which I guess that you even without understanding word can pick up on, I do at same time have a lot of respect for what he did for Swedish hip-hop

Btw, when he mentioned in the clip below that the hip-hop crowd was around 300 ppl in Stockholm, it was nearly identical for Zagreb too. You can also tell this type of sound was not money motivated at first. As he said, it was more so for the people around him. I've heard the same from Croatian rappers in their interviews for that same period.
Thanks, haven't seen that clip before. I actually don't necessarily think that it that much bigger than the 300 ppl that he is speaking of. I think the biggest difference, and this is speaking from a Swedish perspective and me speculating wildly, is the that media focus is much bigger today. And sure that makes the music, which also have become lot more mainstream and pop, reach out a lot more, but ppl really listing to the music and really identifying with the culture is at least in my mind probably about the same.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2015
Malmö, Sweden
^ Not really fond of that beat, but your last track "Regnet öser ner" was tight. It also has that Phonk Beta sound
I think I was trying something different with this one, which in my case often is not to try think to much Phonk Beta making the beat. Because I can't lie he is a big inspiration and I'm glad that you think it shows.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2015
Malmö, Sweden
Hello again 9-1 siccness! I've been inactive for a couple of years but I'm back at it. Here are some new songs. There all in Swedish so you will sadly don't understand any of the lyrics. Hope you can enjoy the music anyway.

And an old one that I never got posted last time around.