Ramadan

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 9, 2005
I thought it was starting in late September, but one of the muslim girls at work has been practicing Ramadan for atleast a week now - I know that the dates are slightly off depending on where in the world you are, but they should be pretty close, shouldn't they?

Aug 3, 2005
hmm thats weird. what she could be doing is starting early because girls arent expected to fast during their menstrual cycle, but they still have to make up for those days. so maybe shes jus usin these days to make up for those she'll eventuall have? u should ask her

Aug 13, 2005
Ramadan Mubarak Nav.

Regarding the girl, she could be making up the days she did not fast during last years ramadan due to her menstrual cycle, because you only have up until the next ramadan to make those days up.

Mar 9, 2005
kingsvillektp said:
I aint islamic, but haha to those that are... YALL GOTTA FAST! be all hungry n shit. My friend is islamic and that foo skinny as hell sometimes i think he fasts 24/7.
I'm sure muslims aren't all sitting there thinking to themselves 'Oh, damn - gotta fast. That sucks'. This is a time of cleansing for them, and once it's finished it's a time for celebration. Besides, the majority of Americans and Australians could do with a fast once in a while, fucking fat bastards. PUT THE FOOD DOWN!!!

Mar 12, 2005
NavThaShah said:
^well said. we may be "hungry n shit" in one way, but we are feeding our souls in a much more valuable way.
Regardless if you are Muslim, Chrisitian or Jewish in a Judaic way, We can all agree that's the Purpose of Fasting.

Aug 3, 2005
The observance of fasting during Ramadan constitutes one of the five pillars of Islam. The experience of fasting is intended to teach Muslims self-discipline and self-restraint, and understand a little of the plight of the less privileged (e.g., the hungry, thirsty and the poor). Furthermore, Ramadan fasting is not just about disciplining the body to refrain from eating and drinking from predawn until sunset but is also about exerting control over the mind. This involves restraining anger, doing good deeds, exercising personal discipline, and preparing oneself to serve as a good Muslim and a good person. Ramadan is a month of peace and love in which individuals are encouraged to bury differences, to forget and forgive and to renew both human and spiritual relationships. Therefore, it contributes to the overall principle of making the individual more humane, more considerate and generally a more responsible member of society. In this way, the month of Ramadan ultimately benefits society not just the individual. It does this, in part, by setting a standard for behaviour not only in this month but during the rest of the year and, indeed, every year of a Muslim's life. These principal tenets of Ramadan are important when considering our intentions and subsequent actions during this spiritual month, including those pertaining to the health of the individual

source

Mar 9, 2005
It's funny that - I know a Russian lady who just found out about Ramadan (she works in the same las as me and the muslim lady). She thought it was stupid fasting when there was no 'real reason' (as she puts it), but she was most upset when I told her that you could not have sex during the daylight hours of Ramadan either. I'd personally be more concerned about not being able to have a drink in 40 degree weather!

Feb 1, 2006
Ramadan mubarak! I will not be fasting during all of ramadan due to the amount of dance training I have. On the days that I am not dancing I definitly am fasting, like today.

And for those who don't know, fasting for muslims is not a burden or even responsibility. It's a personal decision. You are doing it for yourself, not because you "have to". I believe it's one of the toughest tests of self control and I respect all who practice it.

Aug 13, 2005
Actually it is a must on all muslims who are able to do it(5 pillars). Examples of people who are unable are, the sick, people who need to take daily medication, etc...Also for example, firefighters should not fast because it makes them weak and that endangers the lives of others. And just a sidenote that might interest you, Hakeem Olajuwon used to fast all of Ramadan during the NBA season.