R.I.P. Chester Mcglockton ex-Raider great

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
STANFORD, Calif. (AP)—Stanford assistant coach and four-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Chester McGlockton has died.

The school said Wednesday that McGlockton died overnight. He was 42. The cause of death was not immediately announced.

A native of Whiteville, N.C., McGlockton starred at Clemson before being selected 16th overall by the Los Angeles Raiders in 1992. He played 12 seasons in the NFL with the Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and New York Jets. He made all four of his Pro Bowl appearances while with the Raiders from 1994-1997.

McGlockton was in his second season as a defensive assistant on the Stanford coaching staff. He is survived by his wife, Zina, and their two children.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
RIP...I think he went in on some business's with E-40 if im not mistaken....Was a beast on that line 2...RIP to a Raider great from my generation..

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
Wiz had some cool things to say about McGlockton. it's true that he could have been even better than he was, but he held himself back a lot.

STEVE WISNIEWSKI

Q: How did the news hit you this morning?
A: “It’s just a tragic loss. Chester was a dear friend, a teammate, a neighbor, a golf buddy, we coached together at Stanford. For people who don’t know, he had such a big, big heart. He did a phenomenal job over at Stanford coaching. He was really kind of putting his life back on a new track in the coaching field and he was just fabulous at it. So, our whole heart, my heart and the heart of the Raiders family goes out to his wife Zina and his two young girls. It’s just really sad to see.”

Q: How do you reconcile a pro athlete, in such great shape, dying at such a young age?
A: “Yeah, I can’t guess at the cause of death for Chester, but he had lost a good bit of weight. We had done walks together, we played racquetball together quite a bit the last year, he was in very good shape for being a big man. It’s just an absolutely tragic loss to the whole Raiders family.”

Q: Did you see any signs of this coming on?
A: “No, absolutely not. I spoke to Chester yesterday, as a matter of fact. He had a great day with his girls and was looking forward to kind of a few slow weeks as Stanford prepares for a bowl (game), so he could have some more family time. Anybody who knows Chester, he loved his wife and girls to the moon. Again, I just can’t express how tragic it is lose someone like that at 42.”

Q: You lined up against him in practice, tell us just how talented he was?
A: “Yeah, there was no one in the NFL who could block Chester if he didn’t want to be blocked. He had that ability to be a dominant force like a Mean Joe Greene. He was as good as they come. We talked a lot about it. He matured in his years beyond football and looked back with a sense that he could have done more at times. He was hampered by injuries and contract issues. But when he wanted to play, no one could block him.”

Q: How was he off the field after football?
A: “I was just so proud of him because, here in these last few years, he really found something he enjoyed. He was really passionate about coaching. I used to even tease him, if the kids could have seen him back when he was a player, they would laugh because he was now chasing them up and down the field, screaming to ‘hustle,’ do extra and give their best effort. He was a phenomenal coach and a great man.”