PS3 to cure cancer?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 9, 2005
Also, on the topic of cancer and disease;

(source) http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=4494

Stuart Miles said:
PlayStation 3 to help cure Alzheimer's and cancer
Posted by Stuart Miles
27 August 2006 - Scientists in the US are planning on building a supercomputer network from idle PlayStation 3 consoles sitting in gamers' homes to tackle and help understand diseases like Alzheimer's and cancer.

The application has been created by US biologists Folding@Home, who already run a series of research projects using PCs across the globe.

The hope, is to use the massive processing power of Sony's next-gen console, the PlayStation 3, to do more than just play games.

Gamers will be able to download a small application directly to the console, that uses their PS3's processing power when they aren't battling the forces of evil.

The application will then crunch small packets of data before sending it back over the internet to a central computer where all of the results can be viewed together by Biologists.

The system is already used by a number organisations for PCs connected online, including Folding@Home and SETI to look at a wide variety of problems from mapping diseases to looking for extra-terrestial life forms.

According to Folding@Home in a statement on its website; "Using the Cell processor of the PS3, we should be able to do more folding than what one could do on a PC. Also, since the PS3 has a powerful GPU, the PS3 client will offer real time visualization for the first time."

The organisation has said that a network of 10,000 PS3 boxes would enable processing performance four times as fast as the most powerful supercomputer in the world, the IBM BlueGene/L computer in California.

Sony has announced that it is expecting to sell 12 million consoles in the first year alone and if the next-generation console goes as far as selling as many as the company's current PlayStation 2 console, the super computer network could be as large as 100 million machines offering processing time.

An interface is expected to be ready for when the console launches in November.
I remember them doing this for SETI, allowing home computers to help scientists in the search for extra-terrestrial life, and I believe there was another application which allowed home users to process bioinformatic sequences/protein folding.

If this can get off the ground, it won't cost PS3 net users anything but it could provide immense computing power (as stated in the article, a network of 10,000 PS3 boxes would enable processing performance four times as fast as the most powerful supercomputer in the world). Imagine if 1 million users downloaded the application? I'm looking at getting a PS3 when they drop, and although I would like more information, this may well be one of the first things I do with it...

askG

Sicc OG
Nov 19, 2002
i mean, i never been a fan of xbox, but deep down, i knew ps3 was gonna wipe the fucking gaming map with xbox 360 bits and pieces...bitchs gonna cure cancer, is the 360 gonna go out and feed the hungry?

Hemp

Sicc OG
Sep 5, 2005
"The hope, is to use the massive processing power of Sony's next-gen console, the PlayStation 3, to do more than just play games."

that is what grabbed my attention.

i dont really have the full idea yet, but im picturing a powerful computer box being at the center of all houses with many inlets and outlets which will connect and enable alot of electronics and tools.

but this would mean all inventions must be built to connect and communicate with it.

askG

Sicc OG
Nov 19, 2002
n9newunsixx5150 said:
I imagine when asked about the PS3 pricing, someone responded, "six-hundred dollars! That shit better cure cancer!!!"
lmmfao..hahhaa...no shit.

for 600 bills it also better pleasure me in bed and bring me breakfast in bed...lmao...prices these days are outrageous.

Hemp

Sicc OG
Sep 5, 2005
nah i think it can happen easily.
they already have a million buttons and keys on the controller, all they would need is use the left and right sticks to control the cursor.

the only complication would be typing, but they can simply provide a mini keyboard about the size of the sidekick phones keyboard, either within the controller, or have it connect to either the controller or the xbox.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
Lets just hope the PS3 doesn't burn up like the 4.1 million Sony batteries that caught fire in those Dell laptops. And from what I've read, the Cell processor the PS3 uses is really hard to program for so it better cure some cancer, cuz you'll be paying out the ass for games. Either that or Sony is gonna go under. I personally think Nintendo is taking the smarter route here. There may not be plans to use the Wii as part of a supercomputer for curing cancer, but they've already been talking about having a series of games that focus on physical exercise. Just like the DS has "Brain Age" for developing one's problem solving skills, the Wii will have games that focus on physical well-being. Either way, it seems both companies are looking to revolutionize gaming. It should be interesting to see how things turn out.

Y-S

Sicc OG
Dec 10, 2005
^^^ I never seen anything like that before though but I think I know what you mean, it's probably like a wide-inch monitor that looks like a TV, something like that

(edit: was replying to edward)

askG

Sicc OG
Nov 19, 2002
aint that technology, i also just received some news from my homey that the ps4 could probably be used as a weapon of mass destruction.

Mar 9, 2005
Hemp said:
i dont really have the full idea yet, but im picturing a powerful computer box being at the center of all houses with many inlets and outlets which will connect and enable alot of electronics and tools.

but this would mean all inventions must be built to connect and communicate with it.
Not necessarily - as long as you have a single cord connecting the PS3 to the internet, they take care of the rest. In it's simplest terms, they send data to your PS3 through the internet, your PS3 decodes the data and tries to extract useful information, and then it uploads the data back to their site. No need for unnecessary cables, just one will do.

Even if it does cost $600, it would still be worth it (depending on the cost of games and what extra features it brings - I assume it will act as a blu-ray DVD player too). I spend AU $470 on an iPod, and that only plays music!