Paid Dues Festival

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 3, 2007
yeah.. but the difference between me and the man 2 years down the road is i was fuckin with jay electronica before alot of other ppl. but hey in a way ur right. the ppl i'm really talkin bout is the ppl are like the ppl who was fuckin with g-unit and now on some fuck g-unit shit since its the cool thing to do now. dont make sense. same with lil wayne.. no one gave a fuck bout wayne back inthe day.. but now hes the best rapper alive? come on now.

Oct 2, 2005
All I know is that I am not a new jack to Jay Electronica's music. "Style Wars" didn't even see a release until when I started listening to his music, which was 2007. Anybody that listened to it earlier is either really connected or a really good liar.

It's one thing to be a hip head and be up on all kind of shit (Qwicc and Dhadnot can vouch for me. Shout out to Dhadnot, I see you boy!), but it's weak ass fuck to jump on to trends on some johnny-come-lately shit and swear you where down since the beginning.

By the way, Kid Cudi is waste management.

Feb 7, 2006
What up Swift good to see you back (Dub C Ryda head, all-round hip hop head, plus another LA county nigga on the board). Bout the bandwagon jumpers... I feel that, I used to be more on that shit back in the day, but a nigga is starved for good rap in the mainstream. I can find dope shit but I wanna hear dope shit with out having to look as well, and that takes the mainstream jumpin on it. Plus, Jay is on that Nas tip, he gon stay him and do that metaphysical, Nolia, 5% gutter rap.

And yes the nigga Cudi was a big dissapointment...album was straight garbage.

Props on that "Education of Sonny Carson" clip, "If ya name aint Smokey it aint yo muthafuckin message!"

"I put trackmarks around yo muthafuckin eyes!" <---still use that one from time to time.

P.S. Transformin ass niggas get exposed at concerts anyway. Me and my boy went to see Pharcyde 2 months ago, niggas only knew two songs... I swear to god after Passin Me By, and Runnin Away, me and my boy was the only turnt up mufuckas in there rappin to everythang.

Oct 2, 2005
I'm not sure if he can or even wants to be a mainstream type of cat. He's on an independent label, hence the Paid Dues lineup which features independent artists. As you said Dhadnot, Jay is in the vein of Nas, but his artistry is more rugged than Nas's shit ever was.

Would be nice though, but I can't see it happening.

Nov 3, 2007
All I know is that I am not a new jack to Jay Electronica's music. "Style Wars" didn't even see a release until when I started listening to his music, which was 2007. Anybody that listened to it earlier is either really connected or a really good liar.

It's one thing to be a hip head and be up on all kind of shit (Qwicc and Dhadnot can vouch for me. Shout out to Dhadnot, I see you boy!), but it's weak ass fuck to jump on to trends on some johnny-come-lately shit and swear you where down since the beginning.

By the way, Kid Cudi is waste management.
see I respect that. I wasn't talking personally about yall. I was just speaking in general. I hear Jay Electronica all the time on Sirius radio now so I was just saying that the band wagoning wave is coming very very soon. by the Style Wars was smashin. So What you sayin' is my shit. but on the other had like dhadnot said, he does need a bigger fan base so I can't hate on him for that.

and youre crazy about Kid Cudi. We could debate Kid Cudi all night. Kid Cudi was ill as fuck and still ill.

Proven point:

now Asher Roth is garbage.

Oct 2, 2005
Lets argue homie: Kid Cudi is wack. "Day N Nite" was the gayest song in the last several years. His bar game is subpar. His singing is more trash than his bar game. Asher Roth got him with the writtens/freestyles that was posted. Cudi doesn't fit the type of artist that I want to listen to at all because his lyrics are very suspect. Even just right now, the nigga said nigga too many times. I've heard enough material on this Cleveland cats skillz to come to the conclusion that he's not for me. To each is own though.

Feb 7, 2006
Basically what Swift said...I'll add my 2 cents.

Sometimes you just gotta reign it in. What the fuck was his A&R thinking? This nigga aint Cee-lo, Prince Paul, RZA, Outkast, etc.. You can let them cats do what they want because they've proven they got the touch, but it's like they didn't even try to tighten his format up...his album is just sloppy and all over the place. My second problem with him is this psuedo-hipster, electro shit he does. If you are gonna mess with that it better be straight heatrock.

Don't fool with other genres and come half ass, cuz I listen to that other shit and you're wasting my time, seeming like a straight amateur or a poser -tryna be diff. for the hip hop world.

Nov 3, 2007
Lets argue homie: Kid Cudi is wack. "Day N Nite" was the gayest song in the last several years. His bar game is subpar. His singing is more trash than his bar game. Asher Roth got him with the writtens/freestyles that was posted. Cudi doesn't fit the type of artist that I want to listen to at all because his lyrics are very suspect. Even just right now, the nigga said nigga too many times. I've heard enough material on this Cleveland cats skillz to come to the conclusion that he's not for me. To each is own though.
First Day N Nite was smashin to me.. the hook was ill was fuck. Production was smashin. His metaphors are on the level as lil wayne to me. The shit was even on Entourage even before he blew up. 2nd.. even if you thought that one song was gay you can't judge an artist by one song. 50 cent released candy shop but that one song dont even come close to who the real 50 is. His whole album he said nigga like 4 times. He aint that type of cat. But your right each man gotta opinion, but i wish u could appreciate the man's talent.

Nov 3, 2007
Basically what Swift said...I'll add my 2 cents.

Sometimes you just gotta reign it in. What the fuck was his A&R thinking? This nigga aint Cee-lo, Prince Paul, RZA, Outkast, etc.. You can let them cats do what they want because they've proven they got the touch, but it's like they didn't even try to tighten his format up...his album is just sloppy and all over the place. My second problem with him is this psuedo-hipster, electro shit he does. If you are gonna mess with that it better be straight heatrock.

Don't fool with other genres and come half ass, cuz I listen to that other shit and you're wasting my time, seeming like a straight amateur or a poser -tryna be diff. for the hip hop world.
What was his AR thinking?? Man on the Moon sold 120k.. not to mention the majority of people who just bootlegged his shit. His album was reviewed 4/5 and was labeled as a classic debut hip hop album... so how in the world is his album sloppy?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/reviews/id.1260/title.kid-cudi-man-on-the-moon-the-end-of-day

Feb 7, 2006
What was his AR thinking?? Man on the Moon sold 120k.. not to mention the majority of people who just bootlegged his shit. His album was reviewed 4/5 and was labeled as a classic debut hip hop album... so how in the world is his album sloppy?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/reviews/id.1260/title.kid-cudi-man-on-the-moon-the-end-of-day
Guess I'm just out of tune with the current rap generation.

metacritic gave it a 71 out of 100, and thats an aggregator of many reviews, that seems about right for me. I did like that Hyyer song...that shit was tight.