Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 9, 2003
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below = ill

Most of the kids will dig the Big Boi disc cause it's straight hip-hop and is easy to get into. The lyrics are solid, flows perfect, beats ill i.e. what you expect from Big Boi. It seemed Speakerboxxx wasn't creative enough, it was just continuation of Big Boi from Stankonia, which isn't a bad thing, and maybe in terms of what this album is, it was probably wise for him to not be experimental, but a little more couldn't have hurt.

But the Andre 3000 disc is better. It's fresh, if you like Prince and D'Angelo type smooth jazzy R&B you'll love The Love Below. The Love Below doesn't have much rapping, he comes real nice on "Spread" but. Also what I like about it is - it's like singing shit but with the hip-hop storytelling and depth to it, rather than mindless hooks, with simplistic verses. And theirs no point talking about production, because it's perfect.

Sure it's not Aqueminai, but it's dope. I like the way Outkast have always pushed it a bit further with every release, unlike most acts who re-hash the same shit over and over with no musical growth what so ever. This is going to be received like Common’s Electric Circus, your going to either love it, or hate it, but you can’t say that it had no musical or lyrical merit, all you can say is, “it was too experimental for me”.

For me, one of the releases of the year. But I hope for their next album they get back together, because we all know their like "brothers from another mother - kinda like Mel Gibson and Danny Glover" and they are too nice when they connect.

Feb 19, 2003
I agree. The one thing that you have to give OutKast credit for is that they're the boldest challengers in Rap music today. They NEVER come the same twice--each new CD is guaranteed to have something different, and that's what holds my interest.

PEACE!

D

Downunda-Connec

Just got the album about two hours ago and it is knocking...

I wasn't sure what to expect because I have heard mixed reviews but overall I am real impressed. I haven't heard it through yet. I heard the Andre disc and it starts a little slow but picks up quick... There are some real funky tracks on this album.
The big boi disc is solid so far too but I am only half way through listening to it.

I knew this would be good regardless of the bad things I have heard. You can never go wrong with outkast. They haven't disappointed me yet although Aquemini could have been a little more solid...

Apr 25, 2002
SF
I'm not close minded, i just think he should stick to what he does best. andre should just spit dope raps like he used to do instead of tryin to be the next prince.