OT: New Horror Films

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 25, 2006
www.jsmitty.com
I'm a huge horror buff. I try to see any decent new scary movies that come out. But, in the last while, all they've been doing is remaking or "re-imagining" past films. I thought that both of Zombie's Halloweens were good. I also thought that Michael Bay's A Nightmare on Elm Street wasn't too bad. It was better than his Friday The 13th remake. But, this summer seems to be failing badly. Pirahna 3D? The Last Exorcism? Devil? I've looked into all of these films...all seem to suck some serious ass. I know companies are running out of ideas, but I just don't see how something as popular as scary movies can be lacking or fading out. Any thoughts?

Jul 1, 2004
I'm a huge horror buff. I try to see any decent new scary movies that come out. But, in the last while, all they've been doing is remaking or "re-imagining" past films. I thought that both of Zombie's Halloweens were good. I also thought that Michael Bay's A Nightmare on Elm Street wasn't too bad. It was better than his Friday The 13th remake. But, this summer seems to be failing badly. Pirahna 3D? The Last Exorcism? Devil? I've looked into all of these films...all seem to suck some serious ass. I know companies are running out of ideas, but I just don't see how something as popular as scary movies can be lacking or fading out. Any thoughts?
That, is why the horror movie industry is declining. How many fucking exorcism movies can you make? How many with the killer walking and everyone else is running, but he always catches them anyway? Horror movies are played the fuck out.

Sep 25, 2006
www.jsmitty.com
I agree, but I think some fresh new ideas could resurrect the industry. I just can't believe some films are even making it to theaters. They are THAT ridiculous. And just because a film is in 3D doesn't make it worth watching. Fuck that shit.

Nov 14, 2002
http://siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=358484&page=3

Pirahna 3D? The Last Exorcism? Devil? I've looked into all of these films...all seem to suck some serious ass.
You didn't name any horror movies.

Piranha 3D looks like the shit, for one, if you take it for what it's meant to be. Last Exorcism... I dunno I'm a sucker for those movies, but they're not exactly like the slashers that you mentioned liking at all, and Devil is a fucking Shamalyloemeoneomeon film which means that at the end, everyone is the devil and they were all in purgatory and water cures everything and the plants are coming to get you.

Oh and that's not really an elevator you're in, it's a reconstruction of what a lift used to look like and you're actually in the matrix.

Horror movies are the shit, but the good ones are few and far between. Plus, peoples definition of "horror" varies so much now that it's hard to define.

Sep 25, 2006
www.jsmitty.com
You didn't name any horror movies.
"horror" varies so much now that it's hard to define.
I know, that is why I also put...
I try to see any decent new scary movies that come out
I didn't feel that I needed to go as far as to say...
Horror, Thriller, Scary movies, Slasher flicks, etc.

But I agree. Shyamalan sucks. I took the time to see Signs and Happening. Fuckin' sucked serious ass.

Nov 14, 2002
You really don't get the point if you don't want to see that movie in 3D.

The whole point is that it's supposed to be like the cheesy Jaws ripoff exploitation shit. That movie isn't supposed to be in 2d man. It's fucking stupid without the 3D. Plus from what I understand the 3D technology is amazing. Gonna check it out in the next few days.

Nov 17, 2006
I would go see it if they also had a non-3D showing. The only reason movies like this come out is BECAUSE it's 3D. It's a gimmick. I don't want to see killer fishies jumpin' past my face. I want to a see a good film.
I think you're missing the point of the movie if you want to see a "good film". It's not supposed to be. It's a campy cheesefest with blood and tits galore that never takes itself seriously. It's a fun time.

Honestly though, I havent seen a 3D movie yet that really wowed me with the effects. Maybe it's me.. but my perception of 3D is that things will seem like they're flying in my face.. all it seems like to me when I watch 3D is the image is just popped out a little bit.