Okay, we agree, Bay rap is weak... so what would you like changed?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 18, 2002
I want to see more political, deep, introspective and intelligent shit. Shit like Nas' Book Of Rhymes off his last album makes us look like a bunch of babbling fools.

I feel like the practice of filling entire albums full of the party/gangsta shit is best left in the past if the Bay intends to survive in the future.

What do y'all want to see more of?

May 19, 2002
www.federashun.com
Damn, I'm bout to post a big one.........Hope this puts a few people's thongs in a double knot.

I want to see pretty much what you just said: deep and introspective. There is so little poetic talent in the game (let alone the bay). If we can consistently put out AMAZING and different work, then we won't need to reach out to L.A. or NY, big labels would look to us. However, we ARE consistently putting out garbage and that's why I'm so passionate about what comes out representing this region.

I'm tired of waiting for an album to come out by one of the maybe 5-7 rappers in this area that I like. And then there's a 50/50 chance that THAT album will be mediocre at best. THAT is the reason I am forced to stray away from the music I used to love and now have to look to 102.9 or 98.1 to hear some quality music.

Trying to answer your question of what I want changed is a mystery to me. I want the whole game in the Bay to be flipped I guess. Nas and 2Pac DO make us look like babbling fools. And to think, Pac "got his game from [Oakland/the bay] (from that Thug Angel show).

I guess being PASSIONATE about the music and rapping about true introspective feelings can be a start. I mean if you are that passionate about smokin trees then do the damn thing, but if the whole album is about nothing (with just references to how you WISH you lived or how you SEE your rap idols videos) then you need to be stricken from this. You are just dead weight--get another "hustle."

This ain't you, it's just a recreational activity you're tryin to make money off of. And that's just the same reason these same people "hate" Ja Rule, Jay-Z, Nelly, Puffy, whoever...........because they are making music to make money off of. (Not exactly my opinion, but close to it). Whether makin money off 2Pac, OG R&B, or they just have no talent........that's the same reason why I'M NOT FEELIN YOU.

YOU are makin money off of features cuz you know it will draw attention, or YOU have little to no talent but swear up and down you are the best thing to come out of the bay........(similar to claiming to be the king of New York, or to being the most talented record label, or just claiming to be #1............Jay-Z, Murder Inc., and Nelly--respectively).

Maybe it's because we don't have record labels with big chips signing quality artists to deals. Maybe its something else, but that's where someone else can put they're thoughts in on this board.

Again, I don't know what I want to see more of exactly. But I DO know what I don't want to see, and that's what I stated above: so-called artists that don't have the talent, drive, balls, heart, mind, ....what the fuck ever to be representing me and my area. But then again, I know this won't happen, and I lose hope more and more that I'll at least see ONE cat from the bay change the game of rap before I die.

BTW, www.federashun.com is tryin to do something different, like I said above, ask for some snippets on the web site to see if this is what you're lookin for. Debut album in its final stages of completion........

Apr 25, 2002
i can't lie and say i'll change the game...cus i probably will just be a blip on the map some deep and introspective stuff...somethin different I.E. battle rhymes, story rhymes, fun tracks, street rhymes( i mean the whole culmination, a mix of all these on one album)

then i got somethin y'all will love...i make new tracks all the time no one hears, if y'all insterested in hearin some of this shit...just holla

May 18, 2002
Yo MOB... you're right about N.Y. and L.A.

I hear complaining every now and again that bay artists have a hard time getting any notice from those two rap Meccas, but did we ever stop to think why?

We have wack music... no wonder they won't touch us with a 10 foot pole.

And you're right on when you say that if we had any quality shit of our own, they'd be calling us, asking us for beats and features.

We've had the gangsta shit for 15 years, and the party shit for 30 years. I really feel like we shouldn't be trying to do the same shit that our fucking grandfathers played out decades ago... we should be looking for what makes us unique as a generation. Remember what Pac brought and how special that was.

May 18, 2002
And Young Moe: Changes in the game begin with one person.

Nas forced artists to be more lyrical in 94

Chuck D injected politics into the subject matter.

Tupac forced rappers to discuss real issues in 95, and the poetic element(usually dismissed) was seen as something that really belonged in quality rap music. He made social consciousness trendy.

Rappin 4 Tay raised eyebrows when people realized he wasn't devoting an ounce of energy to glorifying the trife life.

NWA made life on the streets a part of pop culture.

Dr. Dre changed the way music was made in hip hop in 92. He dissed Eazy on the Chronic, and Dre had changed the game so much that buy the time Eazy responded, he was doing it over a G-Funk beat(almost more of a compliment to Dre than a diss).

Keep doing your thing. It only takes one guy with the right idea to make the rest of the industry look ignorant, rediculous or passe.

Jul 7, 2002
What I want to see:

93-98 Style production. Too many bay producers are trying to duplicate commerical beats, and the bay area gangster flow just does not sound good over it. Head back to the good old days, TC or Khayree on the beat, and a hard ass gangster flow. Thats what I want to see.

May 21, 2002
man i like the bay rap accept now the producers aint producin cool beatz accept for a few like rob-lo who straight fuccs everyone up and all the gangsta rappers are relatin to "holloywood" radio type instead of keepin tha straight o.g. style that everyone was feein a couple years ago like hollow's takin no shortz and flawless.jus some input peece.

May 2, 2002
TmBlackFlag said:
What I want to see:

93-98 Style production. Too many bay producers are trying to duplicate commerical beats, and the bay area gangster flow just does not sound good over it. Head back to the good old days, TC or Khayree on the beat, and a hard ass gangster flow. Thats what I want to see.
Tim, no offense, but I think the point of this post is for advancement in music. That would be degressing to go backwards and imitate a style that's been done to death.

Tim

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Artists need to realize that there is a difference between 'making music' and just rapping over a beat. Enough of the generic shit, anyone can rap over a beat but not everyone can make music. Buying beats that are already made is bullshit, you can keep making albums with beats you bought off of a beat cd from some random producer, but I won't buy your shit if I know you do that. Like it or not there are only a handful of people on this board who have anything more than marginal talent. Most of ya'll are just following trends and doing what everyone else is doing and that doesn't take much talent. A lot of ya'll that are advertising albums in your sigs, will be in the same place you are now 10 years from now. I'm not hating, just being realistic. I've heard some tight music from some of the people on this board but I've yet to hear anything new. It's the same old shit over and over again. Get away from the tritons and pick up some actual instruments. Give me a reason to buy your album other than a guest appearance. I know most of you can't stand on your own because you don't have the talent. Honestly most of you, whether you like it or not should never consider rap more than a hobby. You can call me a hater or any other name you want but all of you know I'm telling the truth.

May 2, 2002
"...There's a difference between making music and just rappin' over a beat."

damn, I couldn't have it said better myself.

I think this is why I really like an artist like Lynch, the man isn't just a "producer" when he makes a beat... he's a composer.

He can play keys. He puts the extras into songs (alot of background sounds, movie skits to give you a story feel) and most importantly; unique lyrics and a delivery voice which is stand alone.

The best producers in the industry are capable composers; i.e. Dre.

The better rappers are those who you instantly recognize because of their voice and delivery... they are UNIQUE. They are not trying to sound like 2pac...

May 2, 2002
It's not music to buy a beat, and then buy rapper appearances on your tracks, yet never meet any of these people and collaborate on the song idea. How are you gonna release a song that you really had nothing to do with, except for paying the people for rights and then sprinkling a verse on top of it? This isn't to anyonne in general, it just seems like this is the common trend in bay area rap music of today.

Tim

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
DeviantJR said:
It's not music to buy a beat, and then buy rapper appearances on your tracks, yet never meet any of these people and collaborate on the song idea. How are you gonna release a song that you really had nothing to do with, except for paying the people for rights and then sprinkling a verse on top of it? This isn't to anyonne in general, it just seems like this is the common trend in bay area rap music of today.
I agree.

May 18, 2002
Let me put it like this: I thought Rappin 4 Tay did a great thing by not glorifying the ghetto in his music. To me, that was progress, and I think the situation here is so bad(the market is flooded with these kinds of artists that make entire CDs full of this destructive commercial/gangsta/party rap that is 15 years old and getting older) that we need to start thinking about why bay area music has become less and less significant.

One of my favorite Bay Area CDs as of late was Mystic's Cuts For Luck and Scars For Freedom... At least she was trying something different.

Nov 4, 2002
well lets put it this way, im not realy looking forward for bay area rap to become better, because the truth of things is that in different music genres there is always this little peak moment when its pure and straight sicc, then it evolves from one thing to another and things change... bay area rap is basically going to be BAY AREA RAP 92-98 at its best, there is going to be no second coming of the genre.. bay area rap is defined in 92-98 and what it's turned into will never be able to re-capture the shit that came out before it.. face it, by the time HIP HOP in general becomes played out, bay rap will have not become super sicc as it was in its golden age, it's just the brutal truth of the yay area rap scene..

May 19, 2002
www.federashun.com
Caput187um said:
One of my favorite Bay Area CDs as of late was Mystic's Cuts For Luck and Scars For Freedom... At least she was trying something different.
Hit the nail on the head with that one. Something different is a nice change of pace. I don't even own that shit but from the 2 or 3 times I heard it, you can tell shit poured her soul out on that.........

Apr 25, 2002
Tim said:
Artists need to realize that there is a difference between 'making music' and just rapping over a beat. Enough of the generic shit, anyone can rap over a beat but not everyone can make music. b]

The main thing that sticks out for me with what the bay area needs to improve on....LYRICS. Lyricism is EVERYTHING these days...I dont wanna hear the same, one-dimensional shit that bay rappers have been spittin since the mid 90s...that shit died with the times and NEEDS to be tossed away. It seems like albums nowadays from artists I used to love are basically interchangable...because of the artists lack of versatility and lyrical ability. The only bay area artists I can think of that are comin sick lyrically right now (with albums out, I mean)...are A-Wax and the Mob Figaz. Other than them I dont even fuck with bay rap no more...cuz it BORES the shit out of me. In fact, the west coast as a whole doesnt lyrically interest me much anymore. Ive mostly been bumpin east coast shit lately. I want music that'll seriously have me listening to EVERY FUCKIN WORD the rapper is saying because I wanna hear what he says next. Earcatching lyrics is a necessity...whether youre deep, clever, got tight vocabulary, wordplay, punchlines, whatever...write shit that keeps the listener's attention!

As far as the west coast goes...the NORTHWEST is where its at for talent and creative lyricism. 2003 is gonna be the year for the northwest...we're bringin material that will blow eardrums, no lie. Seattle, WA got artists comin with some of the sickest lyrics to be put on wax in the west coast in YEARS.

May 18, 2002
Man, I just feel like the bay needs a soulsearch, that's all...

Why should I respect someone like E-40 or Too $hort when they haven't changed their shit in like 15 years?

Man... I want something different.... Mystic... that was dope. Why can't more people follow that lead? That's the best Bay shit I've heard in years, and yet I've only heard her praised like 3 times on this board, but when someone comes on here with a CD full of guns, hos and party tracks, many of y'all jump on his dick. I'll never understand that.

May 13, 2002
More rappers need to be themselves. I don't wanna hear "I'm a lost soul, the cops are after me, and I my family outcasted me!" in every damn song, trying to be Pac. The reason Pac was successful, was he didn't just say that shit just to say it, what he said he backed up with facts and put his heart and soul into it. He admitted he cried, he showed you his weaker sides, he showed you EVERY side. Now the rappers only take his "hard" side and run with it, you can't be one-dimensional like that. If you feel a way about something, put that in a song...don't twist it around so you sound "hard"...

And like what Tim said...don't just make a bunch of songs and throw them together and call it a record...make ALBUMS. Your album should be the story of your life for the time you spent making it. 2pac and Nas make ALBUMS, they don't just throw shit together. The reason 2pac's posthumous releases aren't as good are because he didn't mold them like he did with every other album. Listen to Yukmouth's "Thug Lord"...it's such a good ALBUM, not just a solo record. All the songs flow, the whole album has a main theme.

Also don't make the albums come from just one direction...have that shit hit the listener from all angles. Have different kinds of songs, different production, different styles, keep it changing throughout. Hit them hard with a knockin ass song, then slow it down for a ballad. I'm sick of hearing a cd where every beat sounds like the same "mafioso" theme and whatnot...

My favorite producer is DJ Quik...he isn't a "rapper" or "producer", he's an "artist". That's what I'm striving to be...

--
HeX
aka
Sco