OK who really started this underground independent shit

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 29, 2007
ive ben gettin in alot argumens over who started this independent shit..all these niggaz say mac dre started it..no..in my opinion e-40 started it...even c-bo said he soaked game from e-40 ...i hear jt started it..master-p stared it..i mean who was the first nigga to seel cds out they trunk?

Nov 20, 2007
yup. he also was doing a thang too called special request. where somebody would pay him to make a song about the person or something like that. he was definitely ahead of the game.

Nov 20, 2007
there were other rappers too in the 80's rapping out of norcal like a rapper by the name of motorcycle mike i believe out of richmond in like 1981.

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
IN MY OPINION, HAMMER IS THE MAN THAT REALLY STARTED MOVIN HELLA UNITS OUT THE TRUNK. TOO SHORT WAS DOIN IT BEFORE HIM, BUT HAMMER CAME ALONG AND KILLED IT. AFTER THAT I THINK 40 AND THE CLICK PERFECTED IT AND TOOK THEIR GRIND TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL. THEY WERE DRIVING DOWN SOUTH AND AND MAKIN THEIR NAME KNOWN EVERYWHERE BY WORD OF MOUTH

Apr 25, 2002
TOO SHORT was the most notable indie artist on a large scale to push music out of the trunk. He wasn't the only one, but he was primarily the poster boy of the independent rap scene. From my knowledge, he was the 1st to sign to a major label besides hammer, and Spice 1 followed signing with Jive as well.