Official 2012 Oakland Raiders

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
Wheeler welcomes added responsibility
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 11:57 am in Oakland Raiders.

The green sticker affixed to the helmet of Philip Wheeler made official what has become apparent almost since the day he arrived as a free agent.

He has become the leader of the Raiders defense because of both his passion and playmaking ability.

When the Raiders decided to move rookie fourth-round pick Miles Burris into the nickel defense in place of Rolando McClain, the responsibility for wearing the wired helmet (designated by a green sticker) to relay instructions from the coaching staff fell to Wheeler.

“It gives me a lot of responsibilities and it makes me work harder,’’ Wheeler said. “It’s forced me to get in the film room more, so I can make better calls and do what’s right for the defense, and I’m up to the job.’’

According to the Raiders’ stats, Wheeler is the team’s second-leading tackler behind safety Tyvon Branch with 58 stops. He’s also got a pair of passes defesned, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Although Wheeler doesn’t have a sack, he’s been an effective blitzer _ as evidenced by his hit on Matt Ryan that led to a wounded duck interception by Branch for the Raiders’ third interception against the Falcons. Stats LLC credits Wheeler with seven quarterback hits.

Wheeler credited McClain for playing well in his new role, and shared a laugh with an exhausted Burris after the Falcons game. Both played every snap against Atlanta, which is the norm for Wheeler but something new for Burris.

“He did pretty good. I was pretty proud of him, stepping in there, playing all of the snaps’’ Wheeler said. “After the game, he told me, `So this is what your body feels like after the game.’

“I said, you’ve got to recuperate, sit down when you get a chance, get off your feet and come back at it next week.’’

Wheeler was generally pleased with how the Raiders defense played against the Falcons, especially in contrast to road losses in Miami and Denver.

“We held them to one touchdown on offense and I feel like we did a decent job,’’ Wheeler said. “We did better, and that’s our standard now. We’ve got to play like that or better.’’

– Raiders who were not practicing Friday and are likely going to be declared “out’’ include cornerback Shawntae Spencer, right tackle Khalif Barnes and tight end Richard Gordon.

Linebacker Aaron Curry was practicing for the third straight day, but is unlikely to be placed on the 53-man roster until he gets more practices under his belt. A 21-day window began Wednesday, during which time the Raiders can activate Curry.

At the end of 21 days, the Raiders must either place Curry on the roster, place him on injured reserve or release him.
wheeler is the best move reggie has made. I think reggie was just looking for someone to fill the void at lb on the cheap and ended up getting much more than he thought he would.

Jun 23, 2005
fuck knapp. i tried giving him the benefit of the doubt, even though i knew he was a piece of shit coach. but damn he is an idiot and does not know how to use his players strength.

i would also like to give a big thank you to hue jackson for acquiring carson palmer, because without him we would be 0-6. there is no way we beat the steelers and jags without carson runnin the no huddle and callin the offensive plays himself.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
can't believe we cut this dude. all the reports from training camp on him were good, and he performed well in preseason.
Josh Dubow ‏ J @Josh DubowAP
Former #Raiders DB Stevie Brown, released before last season, leads NFL in takeaways with 7.
glad we cut routt though
Josh Dubow ‏ J @Josh DubowAP
Pro football focus game charting had #raiders 6-10 130 yards 2 TDs 1 int when throwing at Routt

Props: Meta4iCAL

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
yeah, I wish we would have kept Stevie Brown

and yeah... fuck Routt... picked on him all day and owned him, he got the one INT, but that's it

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
our defense is looking so much better

looking at stats... it's crazy we're ranked 11 in rushing defense right now. and a lot of the yards we gave up were due to that game in Miami that was just completely out hand. take that shit away and we'd be in the top 10. let's hope we keep it up. I think Allen and Tarver finally figured shit out after all these years of being terrible against the run

our passing defense is still lacking, but we have a straight patched together secondary

Carson been solid all year. if we can get McFadden going we might be OK this year. especially in a shitty ass AFC. I don't expect us to win the division because Denver should take it, but we can possibly compete for a wild card

Props: Tony

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
the biggest improvement on D, is at lb. they're finally doing what they're supposed to. lb's have more tackles than the db's, that's the way it should be. otherwise, one missed tackle by a safety and it's a huge play, possibly for a td.

Jun 23, 2005
they either activate him soon or he goes on season ending IR. im not sure what day exactly but i think its before this sunday. rolo has been playin a lil better with taking less snaps. maybe they try some 3-4 out with the 4 linebackers all playing together