OC Dre bootleg?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 22, 2002
the one at eBay right now has the same ringcode "IFPI L337 DIDX-031250 01" as the one you have posted. The only visuable differences is the ring which is thicker.

how do you know which one is the OG?

Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
It's a damn shame. I noticed a few of these popping up too. I'm going to have to go through all of my damn boxes soon. I have the OG and will be able to shed light as to which one is OG or not. WTF, really? Man... all of these damn bootlegs.

May 22, 2002
I'm just sayin bring me some arguments why the one you mentioned is the og... I think we need more than one person to clear up this situation.

I got the version with the print on the ring from a dude who used to collect only bay stuff in the past and bought most stuff at drop date back in the days. He stopped collectin a few years ago and I bought it from him.

Jul 22, 2010
Looking at the ring of the auction link I posted, it doesn't look like a normal pressing that will have a DIDX in it, you will often be able to clearly see the DIDX number from the label side of the cd (provided the label printing isn't applied over the it). The pic Omarion posted is the OG. I used to own it many years ago, before I ever see this other one with the bigger middle ring come about.

Can you give us a scan of your version Psychocialman, so we can see the ring properly? I could almost guarantee it is not a legitimate DIDX press by the looks of it..

Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
You're right, there are 3 versions, but Omarion's post is the OG. The other 2 are bootlegs. the 1st one looks like they copied a CD that came from the same batch as yours.

I have to handle some business, but I will be back to discuss the differences. I was able to find many differences from the OG version. I will post my copy, which is the OG version later, but yeah your copy and ratatati69's aren't official. Sorry, but whoever sold it to you got you. I don't care how long they've been collecting, they got you. That was some BS that he did to you, but heck...he probably didn't even know. That's the problem with all of this B.S. bootlegging.

Jul 22, 2010
There's no confusion my friend, just coming to terms with the fact you unfortunately have copped a bootleg.

A pressing with a DIDX number in the actual cd matrix will only ever look like the one in the pic Omarion showed. These are official pressing by Sony manufacturing plant... Anything else with DIDX but not looking like that, then it is not official.

Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
my scans

Here are my scans of the OG Disc:

OC Dre-Chapter 1-The Beginning-OGCDC-6 copy.jpg OC Dre-Chapter 1-The Beginning-OGCDC-7 copy.jpg OC Dre-Chapter 1-The Beginning-OGCDC-8 copy.jpg

1. All '90's DIDX codes have those stars and only one bar code scan/grid in the inner ring.
  2. The OG's inner ring is slim and has a thin silver border that goes around the outer portion of the inner ring, has the correct DIDX font, those stars and only one bar code. The OG's matrix/ring code can clearly be seen from the top and bottom of the disc.

2a. 1st picture/Ratatati69's auction inner ring is thick with a slight fade to the most inner portion of it's silver ring. This fade reminds me of the fade that is on the BOM: Reala Ride's CD. It has one bar code as well, but it has a super long and exaggerated bar code with a continuous silver lining that wraps all the way around the inner ring of the disc. No stars are present.

2b. 3rd picture/acidgorilla's auction inner ring is thick too and it has a thicker border of silver on the outer portion of it's center ring. It appears to have a couple of bar code/grids, but it may only have the exact type of exaggerated bar code with a continuous silver lining as Ratatati69's . No stars are present on this bootleg neither.
  3. The OG's "O.C. DRE" name has the correct font with crisp and pointed tips

3a. The bootlegs have a similar font, but it's still totally different if you look closely. Pay attention the tips of the bootlegs lettering. The bootleg's have letters that curl at the end of each letter. A great example of this can bee seen in the "O.C. DRE" and even in the "Chapter 1". The number "1" has a point at the tip of it versus the flat and crisp top of the OG's "1".

4. The OG's font for the track list is different from the bootlegs. The Letter "G" on the bootleg gave this away. If you look closely the "G's" are different, which renders those fonts as faulty as well. Just Like the "O.C. DRE" font...they're close, but are all so different. Both bootlegs fonts are thicker as well.

Now we can move on to the picture of O.C. Dre on the Disc...

1. The OG has a smooth and gradient fade around O.C. Dre versus the bootlegs. It has more detail in O.C. Dre's pant's, shoes, and shirt. The "3rd picture/acidgorilla's auction" shirt doesn't have as much detail and it looks like it's split in half or something. The Ratatati69 auction doesn't have any detail or texture to it neither.
  2. The OG's right shoe actually touch's the "1995" copyright date. Both bootleg versions have a very noticeable space between O.C. Dre's right shoe and the "1995".
  3. The OG's "Sly Records" logo is located above, but slightly to the left of the word "Publishing" underneath it. Both bootlegs have the logo above the words "Boylands Music", but more in between both of those words.

The OG version's disc and artwork share the same font with the crisp and pointed tips. The bootleg versions disc font is different from its artwork. Also, the detail of the artwork is blurry, but that a whole different beast. Let's just leave it at that for the artwork. It's blurry and is missing detail. I'm sure that your eyes can see if you look closely, especially the back artwork between the OG and the 3rd picture/acidgorilla's auction.

I have more pictures, but I think that these 3 are good enough to show the differences.

Like I said, all 1990's DIDX discs have those 3 traits. DIDX matrix number in the correct font, the stars or whatever they are, and one bar code/grid on the inner circle of the disc. The stars always follow the DIDX matrix code (ring code).

I'm simply here to state and show the facts. Nonetheless, I would love to have those bootlegs in my collection. They would be great for education purposes like this. However, I wouldn't pay more than $12.99 for them.

Psychocialman...if that auction was yours, I'm sure that you didn't know and trusted whoever it was that you got it from. All of us can get duped by others, even those that we trust. That's really fucked up my man.

Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
A pressing with a DIDX number in the actual cd matrix will only ever look like the one in the pic Omarion showed. These are official pressing by Sony manufacturing plant... Anything else with DIDX but not looking like that, then it is not official.

L @lounge

Yes, that is correct. Sony, which owns Columbia, RCA, Epic and other major labels all use DIDX and the font and other traits are very specific. Even the new CD's of today have the same DIDX font, but they don't use the stars these days.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2003
lol well marv

this is where things get real interesting.. I was looking for a old post for something and well.. I just happened to find this. you tell me what you think homeboy... notice read post date also.

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f37/rare-cds-sell-231055.html
This old post was discussed in January when the T-mo CDs were floating on ebay. Indo replied too. I don't know who to trust these days, but the one I bought from him has an identical ring code to the one pictures as OG in that thread. I don't think we've seen identical fonts on bootlegs, only identical ring codes -yet...
http://www.siccness.net/vb/f37/t-mo-tribal-groove-356532.html

fuck this bootleg/repress industry.