Obscure Films For The Good People Of the GOM

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2004
Here are some quality films that need to be viewed by those that appreciate films that deviate from the mainstream:

Ju-On: Japanese horror film that is genuinely frightening. Runs circles around the Ring.

Battlefield Baseball: A Japanese film that is a combination of Battle Royale and Shoulin Soccer. Kind of goofy but definetly over the top.

Versus: A Japanese samurai/zombie splatterfest that is non-stop savagery.

Azumi: by the director of Versus, a more traditional samarui film but it has the best action /wire sequences of any film I've ever seen and a damn good story to match.

Undead: An australian horror film that will be released in the Arthouse theatres in September. If you've got a Region 4 player you can order it on DVD now or check your local underground video store. It's the most original zombie film i've ever seen. Plenty of gore and a purely original premise will not disappoint you. It's kind of a comedy like Dead Alive, but there is no shortage of carnage.

The Cramps Live At Napa State Hospital: A long out of print copy of the Cramps legendary performance at the mental institution in Napa. Watch as schizophrenics and people with down's syndrome rock and sway to the Cramps infectious psychobilly beat. Only 30 minutes long, but priceless viewing nonetheless.

Uzumaki: another entirely original Japanese horror film that doesn't rely on every horror cliche. It, along with Ju-On, are my two favorite Japanese horror films.

City Of God: Like Goodfellas if it was shot in the ghettos of Brazil. A fucking masterpiece.

Songs From The Second Floor: a surrealist masterpiece about the utter futility of things. Highly reccomended.

Institute Benjimata: A surrealist film by the Brothers Quay. I've never seen a movie that was so beautiful and mesmerizing make such little sense. Do see it.

I'll post some more later.

May 12, 2002
www.glmc.gemm.com
Ive seen City of god and its real good, ima look out for the rest, good shit.

More... Hope you seen em:

Battle Royale (where them japanese kids gotta kill eachother on that Island)

Story Of Ricky (the goriest Kung Fu movie there is)

Crazy Guy With Super Kung Fu (way too many Transvesdites in this Kung Fu flick)

Dec 21, 2002
I just copped City of God, bout to watch that one...i wanted to check out that Bubba Ho-Tep to see what's crackin with it...1

Apr 1, 2002
2-0-Sixx said:
Excellent. I haven't seen any of those.

Where do you find these movies, man? These types of movies you definately can't get at hollywood video
City of God was the shit, seen it yesterday. It was released in 2002 but the English subtitles DVD version just came out this week. They got it at Hollywood Video.

Apr 1, 2002
shep said:
bubba ho-tep

In the early 70s Elvis Presley switched identities with an Elvis impersonator to escape the harsh glare of fame but later missed the chance to switch back. He ends up in a Texas retirement home where he teams up with Jack, who thinks he's JFK. Together the two fellow nursing home residents fight a soul-sucking mummy who is using the long-term care facility as a feeding ground.

Sounds cheezy.

Apr 1, 2002
Also if you like city of god, I recommend you get the HBO miniseries: The Corner. 6 1 hour episodes, pretty intense, it's about the life of a d boy and his father, a crackhead.

It was released in 2000, cop it on ebay for around $20 (it's a double disc dvd)

May 16, 2004
DubbC415 said:
the cramps @ napa....thats really in napa, california?

Yes, indeed.

Though like i said the quality isn't the best (it's from a black and white camera and the video has spent the past two decades circulating in the underground as a bootleg before it's official release), it's still classic to see a band advocating deliquency and drug abuse play for a bunch of schizos and retards. I'm sure the faculty members responsible for booking the Cramps were fired shortly after this performance.