Nortenos and Surenos truce

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 27, 2005
Posted on Fri, Feb. 24, 2006
Gang rivals declare peace in San Jose
THEY HUG EACH OTHER IN SYMBOLIC RALLY
By Rodney Foo
Mercury News

It was a rare day at San Jose City Hall's plaza. Former hard-core members of rival gangs -- once generals in the Mexican Mafia and Nuestra Familia -- took the microphone to publicly renounce the gang life and then hugged their sworn enemies.

The stunning sight was part of a movement by Victory Outreach -- a Christian group dedicated to helping broken families and keeping people away from drugs and gangs -- to declare a cease-fire among warring gangs in the city.

Robert Rios, a former Nuestra Familia member, said he wasn't so naive as to believe that Thursday's declaration would immediately bring peace, but he noted, ``It will plant a seed. . . . We know that some day soon kids will put down their weapons.''

The hope is that word of what happened at the plaza will filter back to gang chieftains in prison and create change, said Victory Outreach Pastor Ed Morales.

``If the prisoners hear about this and wonder what happened, then they'll start to know we declared a cease-fire and if they start to declare a cease-fire within the prison house then it comes down here on the streets, and then all young people on the streets will know that wearing red or wearing blue is not what's in no more,'' he said.
Thursday's dramatic ceremony drew more than 200 people who held placards reading, ``We believe in miracles'' and ``Alto A La Violence'' -- stop the violence. And they watched 13 former members of rival gangs, who had totaled about 200 years in state prisons, wrap their arms around each other like long-lost brothers.

Police Chief Rob Davis marveled at the rally designed to thwart gang membership.

``I've never seen as many former gang members publicly denounce gangs and give each other a hug. You don't see that every day. It's not normal. This is a really big deal,'' Davis said. ``For Victory Outreach to be able to get these individuals to come forward and do this is huge.''

Vice Mayor Cindy Chavez told the gathering San Jose needs a ``zero tolerance'' approach to gangs -- that losing one child to gangs or gang violence is unacceptable.

``For the work that you are doing, for those of you who have changed your lives,'' Chavez told Victory Outreach members, ``you will break a cycle that will never have to be in our children's lives. It's incumbent on each one of us to be part of breaking the cycle of violence and the connection to gangs.''

One former gang member who decided to break that cycle was 35-year-old Richard Chavez, who had once belonged to Nuestra Raza, an offshoot of the Nuestra Familia. Chavez admitted Thursday that he never thought he would embrace his gang enemies. ``But, the power of Jesus is overwhelming,'' he said.

He likened gang violence to terrorism and said many of its victims are innocent children. Chavez hoped Thursday's open declaration of a truce by former gangbangers would make a difference.

``We're stepping out of the boat,'' he said. ``We're proclaiming a cease-fire. Proclaiming it means we actually have the belief and faith that it's actually going to happen. We're taking a leap of faith.''

The rally ended with hundreds walking over to the Civic Auditorium on West San Carlos Street for a play, ``From the Bay,'' billed as a ``hip hopera'' about the corrosive effect gang life has on families and the community.

wut i say? ya'll dont even bang on each other******* :dead:

Nov 28, 2005
Well I guess it gotsta start sumwhere .
But doesn't this happen all the time. And nothing really comes out of it. Just this time its in the news. People find jesus and give speeches with former enemies all the time. Good for them though . Yea.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I remember back when I lived in Santa Rosa there were some CROOKED ass Victory Outreach cats.....I guess in religion it's ok to do dirt one day and the next just go to church and it's all good lol

Aug 8, 2003
WattsUp said:
wut i say? ya'll dont even bang on each other******* :dead:
this fool.. u think that shit worked???? LOL from the outside of the box ur acting like ur speaking from withiin.. from a fool who said "i made the bay what it is today"
HAHAHAHHA

nobody takes u serious any more muttonchop

SLICC RICC

Encapuchado
Jan 4, 2005
YOU CALL THEM FOOS "GANG RIVALS"??? WASNT ONE OF THE FIRST SENTENCES CALLIN THEM "FORMER" MEMBERS OF GANGS??? FUCK THOSE VATOS... THAT FOO WATTSUP IS ACTIN FISHY... LIKE I SAID, THIS FUCKIN RIF-RAF WANTS TO START A CYBER-RIOT ON THE SICCNESS CELL BLOCK...

Aug 8, 2003
haha but at the same draw the wrong kind of attention.. look deep into when i said FUCK THE POLICE... sometimes this place has that bacon scent.. feel me?

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
NOT TRYING TO BE NEGATIVE ON WHATS GOING ON UP THERE WITH THAT PEACE THING

BUT THEY CAN CALL A TRUCE RIGHT NOW AND IT WOULDNT AFFECT ONE SINGLE THING OUT HERE IN SOUTHERN CALI,THIS SO CALLED WAR MIGHT ASWELL NOT EXIST IF YOU FROM OUT HERE...IT NEVER COMES UP UNLESS YOU COME ONLINE...

Feb 14, 2006
WATTS UP IS A FUCKING PIG!WHY DO U CARE WATTS UP? IF YOU HATE MEXICANS SO MUCH WHY DO U GIVE A FUCK ABOUT WHAT WE DO?

Oct 12, 2005
Man, now you wanna say Watts UP is a pig? That can't be true. He knows a lot of stuff the average dude wouldn't know. The name of certain Homies from different hoods you busters don't know. He has dropped a lot of anti police information that an informant wouldn't discuss. Don't be so paranoid.You have free speech. This is an actual medium for just that purpose.Generals need to discuss strategies. Just check his post. I got his back. Maybe it's not that he hates Mexicans.Just the ones pushing supremecy. Just like Nazi's. If you don't like them doesnt mean you hate all whites. I had a lot of Mexican homies when I came up. I was asked to join the "18st Tiny Wino's" "ES Diamond street" ,and Clantone. I used to kick it on 24th and Mission in "Frisco". I have plenty of Latino friends. But when a dude you grew up with trys to wack you to please a fool from Orange County, just because he's from "American La Eme", he is a TRAITOR. Thats why I got with the "CRIPPIN". My people first. When they had the Supershows at the Sports Arena/Coliseum, we never disrespected the "Raza Car-Clubs". I remember when I asked a vato where I could find the Dukes Cars one year. He got all smart, and a veterano told me not to trip on that fool. He said he never heard of the Dukes. I told him "Well I'm from CRIP you heard of that huh ese? Then he shut up. WE could of jacked and sprayed everybody. But we didn't. We always respected our Brown Brothers. I have homies from HARLEM who are Latino. We call them "SPANISH HARLEMS", Only Eses I can't stand are the "MANY SALVAGE TRUCKERS". SoLOs are turncoats too. But I am not trippin. tell they trip.Black people are used to everybody against us. But wait till Bush is out of office and the "Migra" start rollin illegals up. Then they'll be begging for forgiveness.:cool:

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
dodger blue said:
Man, now you wanna say Watts UP is a pig? That can't be true. He knows a lot of stuff the average dude wouldn't know. The name of certain Homies from different hoods you busters don't know. He has dropped a lot of anti police information that an informant wouldn't discuss. Don't be so paranoid.You have free speech. This is an actual medium for just that purpose.Generals need to discuss strategies. Just check his post. I got his back.:cool:
yeah this mans right...he couldnt be a pig and run shit from the bay to LA at the same time!! :devious: