Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Keep an eye on these players this weekend

A couple days ago, we here at Instant 49ers tried to provide our loyal readers with some opinions on players the 49ers would not take with the No. 29 overall pick. (We are also fond of referring to ourselves in the plural, even though it's just a lonely one-man operation.)

So, now, we're going to attempt to throw out some names of players the 49ers could select with their Saturday picks. Currently, the 49ers own two picks in the first two rounds (Nos. 29 and 39). GM Scot McCloughan said the team is much more inclined to trade back to gather more selections than trade up to get someone, so there is always the chance the 49ers will not actually make a selection at 29..

As you watch the draft tomorrow, pay particular attention to these players:

Clemson DE Phillip Merling: Viewed in a lot of mocks as mid-first pick, there is some feeling he might slide a little. He has not been able to show much over the past couple months after undergoing surgery for a sports hernia. Although unlikely, it is conceivable he slips to No. 29.

North Carolina DT Kentwan Balmer: Perhaps I'm wasting valuable key-strokes on this one. Although he's available in some mock drafts, there's a good chance he'll be chosen before Merling.

Oklahoma LB Curtis Lofton: This one might surprise you. But I do believe the 49ers are not scared to take inside linebackers in the first round in back-to-back years. "They're usually your playmakers on defense," 49ers GM Scot McCloughan said. "We're going to carry more 'backers than most teams because of special teams value as well. We'll be hard-pressed to pass on a good, young football players really at any position." Lofton is a good, young football player. This is not far-fetched at all. There are many mocks that have the 49ers taking Jerod Mayo or Dan Connor. Well, Mayo will be gone, and Lofton would be a better selection to play the "ted" linebacker spot than Connor.

Virginia Tech OT Duane Brown: Let's assume Branden Albert, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams and Jeff Otah (pronounced OH-tuh, not OH-taw) are gone. Brown is the next-best offensive lineman, though Gosder Cherilus will probably hear his name called first. Brown is a lot like Lofton in the sense that he should be there at No. 29. But it gets a little dicey whether he'll still be around at 39.

Purdue OLB Cliff Avril: He fits the bill (possibly in the third round) as a hybrid DE/OLB who can rush the passer. He is underrated -- a solid football player. He played in the Senior Bowl, but not for the 49ers-coached South squad.

Certainly, there must be some receivers the 49ers have spotted. Mike Nolan mentioned three guys who compare to Jason Hill that the club has rated as third-rounders. I don't think the 49ers would take a wideout in the first round unless, perhaps, Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly is around. But in the third, they could look for Florida's Andre Caldwell, Houston's Donnie Avery or Cal's Lavelle Hawkins.

And, finally, another player who could end up with the 49ers on Saturday is . . .

Auburn LB Quentin Groves: OK, are you paying attention? He was part of the seven-man grouping of players I don't expect the 49ers to take at No. 29 (even though I took him in recent mock drafts). My head is spinning trying to figure out where the 49ers stand with this guy. I'm not convinced he'll be the No. 29 pick. But I believe he comes into play if the club trades back and those other non-receivers have already been chosen.

You really have to wonder about cornerback Donald Strickland's future with the 49ers after allegations of drunk in public and resisting arrest levied by the San Jose Police Department. If true, this is the kind of stuff that is completely unacceptable. It is also worth noting 49ers players have generally represented the franchise well in recent years. Check out 49ers arrests since 2000. (The only really bogus one mentioned is the incident involving Jeremy Newberry.)

I'm making the rounds on KNBR today. The Morning Show gave me an early wake-up call. (Click here for the link. Look under guests from Friday, April 25). I'm also scheduled for a 4 p.m. hit with the Razor and Mr. T.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Watching the Offense Go

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4162

"Go!”
Those are the first words the 49ers quarterbacks are saying these days when they get to the line of scrimmage, sending their receivers, tight ends or running backs in motion.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz could come up with something more elaborate once the actual season hits, but in this early stage of passing school sessions “go” it is. And that’s exactly what 49ers fans are looking for in the upcoming season – an offense that is going somewhere.

The last ranked offense in the NFL a year ago has their work cut out for them, and it’s gotten started over the last few weeks in short passing school sessions under the scrutiny of its new mastermind.

“We are trying to get so much of our formations and movements in,” said Martz. “With every snap that we do on offense, we try to move and shift which is a little bit new for them. The speed and the tempo of it and where everyone needs to be is a little different, but it’s going pretty well. They’ve absorbed things very quickly and now when you start adding the plays and all of the moving and shifting with each one, it gets a little bit confusing. I’m sure there will be some brain cramps, but I’m really pleased with the effort, and the attention to detail has been very good.”

It’s hard to ascertain too much out of the sessions since the unit isn’t facing a defense, but it’s an organized looking group out there working on a well-rounded variety of plays, and Martz expects the work to pay off at next week’s mini camp.

“This group will be way ahead of the rookies when they come in because we’ve gone through everything we are going to do in mini camp already,” said Martz. “We’ve walked thru it, we’ve taught it, and we’ve practiced it a little bit out here. When we get out at mini camp and get to do it against the defense, it should be fun.”

Although the offense has been installed and reviewed during these sessions, the bulk of the time is dedicated to throwing and route running. Each group works separately with their position coaches and then the quarterbacks typically split up. Alex Smith and Shaun Hill might work with the receivers at one end of the field, while J.T. O’Sullivan and Drew Olson work at the other with the running backs and tight ends, or vice versa.

"The timing is coming,” said Smith. “Sometimes we're out here and we're each working on different things ourselves. The quarterbacks are working on our stances and our drops. I think this is a time where you can definitely work some of that out and do it at a teaching pace a little more. When you get out in mini-camp and in practices, it's a little more non-stop and you don't get that teaching tempo necessarily.”

While the big news this off-season has been about the quarterback competition between Hill and Smith, Martz said teaching is the truer priority at this point.

“I think the competition part of it doesn’t really materialize until the guys get familiar with what we are doing,” said Martz. “When these guys are clued into the terminology, the plays, the protections, there is so much for them to learn yet, and so when we get to the point where everybody has a pretty good grasp of what we are doing, then I think the competition really starts to settle in. These guys need to worry about getting ready, not so much the guy next to them.”

The guys who potentially have the most to gain don’t seem too concerned either over the brewing quarterback battle.

“With a lot of our routes, the ball is in the air before we get out of our them, and all of the quarterbacks are doing so well that we can't tell who's throwing the ball until we run back to the huddle,” said wide receiver Ashley Lelie. “I think that's a pretty good thing because whoever comes out on top is going to be really good and everybody behind him is going to be really good too. The main thing with this offense is timing and everybody is starting to get that timing down.”

Timing is critical to the success of this offensive scheme and can be slow to develop, but newcomer wide receiver Bryant Johnson insists that it’s coming along quickly.

“I think everyone has been pleased with how Coach Martz has come in and implemented the offense and how technical he is about things,” said Johnson. “Things have to be a certain way with him and that’s important for timing. This is a timing offense and if you don’t have that, it’ll be hard to execute. We are still learning and we have a lot to improve upon, but we are out here trying to get better right now, and I think the sky is the limit for what this offense can do this year.”

But for now, it’s just good to see this offense GO.

IM OFFICIALLY DISGUSTED. FUCK THIS DRAFT!!!!!!!
IM GLAD TO SEE THE NINERS CLINGING TO SUM OLD ASS RECIEVERS..WHERE TURNIN INTO THE RAIDERS AND SHIT. O-LINE IS SUM SHIT U GET IN FREE AGENCY....NINERS SUCK! THEY NEE TO RECHANGE THE NAME TO MOSTER PARK AGAIN CUZ THE STICK AINT
BACK!!!!I BEEN A NINER FAN ALL MY LIFE AND TO SEE WHERE THE ORGANIZATION IS TAKIN IT NOW IS BULLSHIT!!! WHAT IS THIS ANOTHER REBUILDIN YEAR WE STILL HAVE NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, NOBODY TO STRECH THE FIELD....I CANT BELIEVE THEY WANNA STICK WIT ARNEZ BATTLE
FUCK MIKE MARTZ TOO THIS MUTHAFUCKA HAS GOT 2 DO ALOT 2 IMPRESS ME AFTA THE DRAFT PICKS I JUST SEEN

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
IM OFFICIALLY DISGUSTED. FUCK THIS DRAFT!!!!!!!
IM GLAD TO SEE THE NINERS CLINGING TO SUM OLD ASS RECIEVERS..WHERE TURNIN INTO THE RAIDERS AND SHIT. O-LINE IS SUM SHIT U GET IN FREE AGENCY....NINERS SUCK! THEY NEE TO RECHANGE THE NAME TO MOSTER PARK AGAIN CUZ THE STICK AINT
BACK!!!!I BEEN A NINER FAN ALL MY LIFE AND TO SEE WHERE THE ORGANIZATION IS TAKIN IT NOW IS BULLSHIT!!! WHAT IS THIS ANOTHER REBUILDIN YEAR WE STILL HAVE NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, NOBODY TO STRECH THE FIELD....I CANT BELIEVE THEY WANNA STICK WIT ARNEZ BATTLE
FUCK MIKE MARTZ TOO THIS MUTHAFUCKA HAS GOT 2 DO ALOT 2 IMPRESS ME AFTA THE DRAFT PICKS I JUST SEEN

co muthafucking sign!!!!!!!!

arnaz battle is dope tho but what the fuck? they sign 2 wrs this year that basically will only play 1 year each, and with lelie, that leaves us with only jason hill under contract for next year, even battle is a free agent........

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
I THINK WE GOT A GOOD DT AND A GOOD OL YOUNGSTER WHO WILL START RIGHT AWAY AND HELP PROTECT A SMITH. THERE ARE 30 DECENT WIDE OUTS INT HIS DRAFT. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE TAKEN ONE BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY WITH WR'S NOT GOING UNTIL THE SECOND ROUND IM SURE WE WILL GET ONE OR 2 TOWARDS THE END OF THE DRAFT.

sorry for the caps.

i think we are fine.

Mar 24, 2006
I THINK WE GOT A GOOD DT AND A GOOD OL YOUNGSTER WHO WILL START RIGHT AWAY AND HELP PROTECT A SMITH. THERE ARE 30 DECENT WIDE OUTS INT HIS DRAFT. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE TAKEN ONE BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY WITH WR'S NOT GOING UNTIL THE SECOND ROUND IM SURE WE WILL GET ONE OR 2 TOWARDS THE END OF THE DRAFT.

sorry for the caps.

i think we are fine.
exactly dutch!

your fellow Niner breathren on here went apeshit on that Rachal pick...lol

dude is gonna help ya'll alot on that Oline.

sorry for the caps.

i think we are fine.
I DONT CARE. I FEEL AS IF THE NINERS SHOULD HAVE LEARN FROM DRAFTING KWAME HARRIS

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
ITs gonna be worse than helpful, we were fine stopping the run, and even though we lost BY and douglas, we countered that with resigning and moving soap, and signing Justin Smith, we were terrible in the pass rush, thats should have been the #1 pick, i can honestly, say i am very disappointed in what i have seen so far, the OL isnt that bad to where we need an instant starter, we could have got 1 in the 3rd and been fine, Our biggest need was a pass rusher, and neither of these do shit to help

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
look, not every person in the draft is gonna produce at a high level, and very few will see probowl/hall of fame seasons. so in the end you do the safe thing and take linemen. am i mad we dont have a face of the franchise wide out, or a real qb yes i am. but i also know that if we want p willis to be injury free we need meat in front of him to clear blitzing/tackling lanes. and if we want gore to stay as healthy as possible through our rough patch we better put some meat in front of him as well.

these first 2 picks are ok with me. some may disagree and its your right to. but if you look at the big picture, we did the right thing.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
look, not every person in the draft is gonna produce at a high level, and very few will see probowl/hall of fame seasons. so in the end you do the safe thing and take linemen. am i mad we dont have a face of the franchise wide out, or a real qb yes i am. but i also know that if we want p willis to be injury free we need meat in front of him to clear blitzing/tackling lanes. and if we want gore to stay as healthy as possible through our rough patch we better put some meat in front of him as well.

these first 2 picks are ok with me. some may disagree and its your right to. but if you look at the big picture, we did the right thing.
With taking the DT, its looking like a move back to a 4-3 after all these years of trynna make a 3-4 i dont believe Balmer will be successful as a NT in a 3-4 so its basically taking steps backwards, basically all we need to complete the 4-3 transition is another olb thats capable of pass rushing and dropping into coverage, and as for rachel, Im guessing maybe he got picked cuz baas got hurt? but thats still bullshit, we dont really need a guard, we need a tackle to take over for Jennings.....

IM DISGUTED HANDS DOWN. NINERS BLEW IT THIS DRAFT. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. 6-10 IF THAT THE WAY ITS LOOKIN. NINERS NEED SOME NOW PLAYERS. NINERS NEED SUMTHIN THATS GONNA HELP THEM STAY IN THE GAME. I HATE SEEIN EM GET BLOWN OUT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE PLAYIN FOR THE NFL WEST CROWN AND HAVE A WINNING RECORD WHILE DOIN IT. I DONT KNOW HOMIE. I LUV MY NINERS BUT I GOT LOW EXPECTATIONS NOT JUST FOR THE OFFENSE BUT FOR THE TEAM. THE CARDS ARE GONNA BE IN THE PLAYOFFS AND NOT US

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
ITs gonna be worse than helpful, we were fine stopping the run, and even though we lost BY and douglas, we countered that with resigning and moving soap, and signing Justin Smith, we were terrible in the pass rush, thats should have been the #1 pick, i can honestly, say i am very disappointed in what i have seen so far, the OL isnt that bad to where we need an instant starter, we could have got 1 in the 3rd and been fine, Our biggest need was a pass rusher, and neither of these do shit to help
did you forget you have manny lawson?

he'll be your pass rusher.

Mar 10, 2007
You guys trippin.. we got some good O-Line and D-Line depth.. the WR's at the top of the draft were not that good... None of them were explosive playmakers.. there's a reason it took so long for the WR's to get drafted..