Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 9, 2005
God damn our defense is beasty. Wonder if they held of on the Pro Bowl selection to give Aldon Smith the DROY that he deserves.

Congrats to Bruce Miller especially, amazing job by the scout that saw a baby Rathman in him while watching him play DE/LB.

Jun 18, 2005
hin at receiver, 49ers might have to consider T.O.

By Simon Samano NFL.com
Published: Dec. 27, 2011 at 04:46 p.m.
Updated: Dec. 27, 2011 at 05:36 p.m.

Email
Print

Read
Discuss

This sounds utterly and completely nuts, but what are the chances that Terrell Owens returns to San Francisco? If you're a 49ers fan, the thought either gets you pumped or makes you cringe.

On Tuesday, the team abruptly released veteran Braylon Edwards, who didn't pan out, mostly because of a nagging knee injury. And now the 49ers are so depleted at wide receiver that a T.O.-Niners reunion has to, at the very least, be considered.

Kyle Williams (head) and Ted Ginn Jr. (ankle) are both banged up, which leaves Michael Crabtree and Brett Swain as the only healthy receivers on the 49ers' roster. Swain, you might recall, was already a midseason acquisition because Josh Morgan was placed on injured reserve.

So, with Edwards' departure, the door is naturally open for somebody. Coach Jim Harbaugh didn't dismiss the notion that a player from the outside could come in and contribute.

"All options will be looked at," Harbaugh said, according to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. "And like I said, decisions will be made with one thing in mind: What's best for the team, what helps the team win."

On one hand, it's easy to think T.O. can help. He had almost 1,000 receiving yards and caught nine touchdowns in 14 games last year with the Bengals, so he's got to be better a option than a practice squad call-up. And with regard to his diva ways, you take it one game at a time in the playoffs.

Listen to the 2011 NFL season LIVE -- hear all the action online in premium sound quality with NFL Audio Pass. Sign up now!

But on the other hand, can T.O. be trusted not to blow up a close-knit locker room in such a short time? What if, at 38, he isn't fully recovered from having his torn anterior cruciate ligament surgically repaired? The 49ers, after all, had no interest in attending his public workout back in October.

That was then. This is now. The situation for the 49ers is much more pressing with the postseason right around the corner. Makes you wonder how much consideration they're giving this crazy idea.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
WOW@8 pro bowlers, and aldon smith didnt make it, and no vernon davis, we have 10 people who could have made it imho.

Dec 12, 2006
yea just for the sake of choppin it up, VD had a gang of games where he didnt show up at all cuz he had hella blocking assignments and Aldon started the year splitting time with Parys Harlson I think Larry was backen up Ahmad Brooks so he really didnt have a full season it woulda been dope for sure but I think hes got hella pro bowls in the future on another note Im hella happy that Dashon made it cuz ive liked him since the draft just hope he stays after this year

Feb 12, 2004
sometimes im at work or in an isle at the grocery store and for the fuck of it yell out "WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US??? NOBODY!!!". Why? CAUSE I CAN MOTHERFUCKER!!!! 12-3 BITCH NFC WEST CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 9, 2005
I wouldn't say Aldon was snubbed, unless for whatever reason they give that DROY to Von Miller.

Aldon has done what Von has done (less tackles of course) in half the snaps. Hopefully he gets 2 sacks in St. Louis and closes out the DROY with a statement.

That Monday night game was impressive. Would have had 3.5 sacks on the day if it wasn't for that PI call on our secondary.

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
95.7 The Game
Terrell Owens tweets @DonteWhitner: "Let em kno if they need me, I'm ready homie!! I'm ready 2 take em deep!!" 49ers Fans: Would you welcome back T.O.?

Jan 12, 2006
"@DonteWhitner Let em kno if they need me, I'm ready homie!! I'm ready 2 take em deep!!" T.O. tweeted Wednesday.

To which Whitner responded: "@terrellowens I know u are! And I'm ready to Vouch for...and let everyone kno how GREAT of a teammate u were in buffalo!"

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Hastings expected to take Braylon Edwards' roster spot
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...kely-to-take-braylon-edwards-roster-spot.html

Any 49ers fans dreaming of a triumphant return by Terrell Owens will be disappointed. Jim Harbaugh today said the team probably would fill its opening at receiver by promoting a receiver from its practice squad. One of those receivers, John Matthews, said the job would go to the other one, Joe Hastings. "I think Joe's the guy who's the next man up," said Matthews. Hastings, meanwhile, evaded reporters by saying he had to go to a meeting (which probably is revealing in itself.) Promoting Hastings makes perfect sense on a Harbaugh-run team that values hard work, team unity and camaraderie. Hastings, who went undrafted out of Washburn University in April, has become a favorite of the coaching staff and players for his toughness and pluck. Hastings often portrays the opponent's top receiver in practice to give the starting defense a simulation of what they'll face. He's been Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Philadelphia's Jeremy Maclin among others, and he's been named the team's "practice player of the week" several times. Hastings also was one of several wideouts who worked out for the 49ers after Joshua Morgan broke his leg Oct. 9. The job eventually went to Brett Swain, but it was Hastings who won an end-of-practice race among the group, which also included veterans T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Brian Finneran and Chris Chambers. The 49ers this season have treated practice squad players as if they are members of the 53-man roster. They attend all meetings and go on the road with the team, something that hadn't been done in previous years here. "The only thing we don't do is play in the games," practice squad tight end Konrad Reuland said. "I have to pinch myself sometimes to remind myself that I'm not on the 53-man roster." Alex Smith, in fact, warms up with Hastings before every game. "I really feel that their development is so much better because of that," Smith said today. "Looking back, it's kind of a no-brainer way of doing it." If Hastings is elevated to the active roster, the 49ers wouldn't have to make that move until Saturday. They also could make an additional move early next week when Delanie Walker's prognosis becomes more clear. Teammates today said that Walker had surgery to wire shut his broken jaw and that Walker is on a liquid diet. ****************** Neither Kyle Williams (concussion) nor Ted Ginn (ankle) were on hand for the start of practice. Patrick Willis was in uniform and practicing with the linebackers.
-- Matt Barrows