Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
Oct 23, 2009
Niners Find RT?

Ok, so Alex Boone is someone who we signed last year after he didn't get drafted. It was mainly because of alcohol problems but he was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd RD pick before that. It looks like he's lost some weight and looks good so far (yes I know its really early in OTA's). He does have impressive size 6'7 325 lbs (now) and was a beast at Ohio State. I'm not saying he's the answer but he could develop into a useful guy for us with Ray Brown teaching him and he has that fire in him.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=60246

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
Ok, so Alex Boone is someone who we signed last year after he didn't get drafted. It was mainly because of alcohol problems but he was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd RD pick before that. It looks like he's lost some weight and looks good so far (yes I know its really early in OTA's). He does have impressive size 6'7 325 lbs (now) and was a beast at Ohio State. I'm not saying he's the answer but he could develop into a useful guy for us with Ray Brown teaching him and he has that fire in him.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=60246

i like it for a undrafted signing. and like i said before, i think our o-line is gonna be considerably improved from coaching alone. 1 of the o-line guys in an interview said the same thing.

Oct 23, 2009
Fair enough, moving on...

So there have been talks of moving Nate Clements to the Safety spot due to him losing a step over time and think he might actually be able to transition like Rod Woodson did when he was moved from CB. He is due to make 6 Mil this year and was replaced by Tarelle Brown against the Colts due to Brown's speed. I'm not sure if he could make a successful transition but I think that they will try things out this year especially if he keeps getting burned like last year against Atlanta.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Matt Millen rumored to fill GM role in San Francisco
http://www.detonline.problitz.com/sports/nfl/millen-rumored-fill-gm-role-san-francisco.html
DETROIT, Mich. -- The 49ers are rumored to have hired Matt Millen as the General Manager effective April 24th, 2010.

Millen, the former Lions GM from 2001 to 2008, and his agent were unavailable for comment.

According to sources close to the situation, the agreement is being held secret until the completion of this year's draft. Reportedly, both sides agreed that having Millen come aboard just weeks before the draft would be too disruptive.

Millen would assume the role vacated by Scot McCloughan, who reportedly left due to problems of a personal nature that the 49ers have yet to disclose.

Millen comes to the 49ers after a much-maligned stint in Detroit presiding over some of the worst years in Lions' franchise history. His 31-84 record was one of the worst stretches in NFL history over that span and he presided over the first 0-16 team in NFL history.

But Millen does have a history with the 49ers, playing linebacker for the team in 1989 and 1990 before finishing his career in Washington. This may have been part of the draw for Team President Jed York.

"Jed (York) and (Vice President) Paraag (Marathe) are really going on out on limb here, but it's a limb they think is strong," said one source. "When Paraag applied his unique analytics to Millen's drafts, the story was much different than the public perception. I think that had a lot to do with the hire. It also didn't hurt that Millen connected the team to the glory days."

The former Penn State standout was an NFL linebacker from 1980 to 1991 with the Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins. He went to the Super Bowl four times, winning Super Bowl XXIV with the 49ers.

is it one of those April fools day thing?

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/49ers-2010-exhibition-schedule.html
49ers' 2010 exhibition schedule

The 49ers will open their four-game exhibition season at the Indianapolis Colts. Their slate of tune-up games also includes an NBC, nationally televised game, Sunday, Aug. 22 against the Minnesota Vikings.

The 49ers play the Raiders at Candlestick in the regular season. They'll travel across the bay to play the Raiders in Oakland during the third week of the exhibition season.

49ers' exhibition schedule

Week 1- At Indianapolis (CBS, Channel 5)

Week 2- Vs. Minnesota, Sunday, August 22 (NBC, national game, 5 p.m.)

Week 3- At Oakland (CBS, Channel 5)

Week 4- Vs. San Diego (CBS, Channel 5)

Times and dates of the 49ers games against the Colts, Raiders and Chargers are yet to be determined.

The dates and times for 15 of the 49ers' 16 regular-season games have yet to be announced. But here is what we know:

49ers regular-season opponents

Home (7): Philadelphia, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Denver, Oakland, Arizona, St. Louis and Seattle.

Road (8): Green Bay, Atlanta, Carolina, Kansas City, San Diego, Arizona, St. Louis and Seattle.

Neutral (1): Denver at Wembley Stadium, London, Sunday, Oct. 31.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
ok... look..... HAHAHAH its april fools. Stop with the matt millen bullshit before i seriously blow a gasket! I would hate to go edit every post you ever put on siccness! and please even as a bad april fools day joke, dont give that shitty idea any good karma by speaking it into existence!

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
49ers re-signed OLB Ahmad Brooks to a two-year contract.
The two-year commitment, rather than his initial $1.759M tender, indicates that the Niners are confident Brooks will keep improving and perhaps become a long-term pass-rushing fixture. Brooks, an ex-supplemental pick, racked up five sacks in the final five games last season. The 26-year-old will continue to back up LOLB Manny Lawson and spell him on passing downs.

49ers OLB Manny Lawson was not in attendance for the first edition of OTAs earlier this week.
His agent offered only "no comment" when asked about his absence. Lawson is signed through 2011, so there's no contractual reason for him to be skipping practices. It's possible that he still has leftover hard feelings from losing third-down duties to Ahmad Brooks late last season.

The 49ers worked out DE Ricky Jean-Francois exclusively at nose tackle during early-week practices.
Jean-Francois is small for the position at 6'3/305, but the team likes his quickness inside. The Niners want to see if RJF can be a backup option on the interior before heading into this year's draft heavy on nose tackle prospects.

Michael Crabtree was the recipient of the first four passes of 49ers offseason workouts at this week's OTAs.
"Perhaps providing an early clue that he'll be the team's go-to receiver," writes beat reporter Matt Maiocco. Crabtree didn't catch a single pass from Alex Smith until midseason of last year due to a prolonged contract holdout. It may not fully show up in his stats due to shaky quarterback play, but Crabtree is likely to become a big-time player in year two.

David Carr reportedly looked "very rusty" and exhibited an "unorthodox throwing motion" at the 49ers' first round of OTAs.
As expected, Alex Smith took most of the snaps as he enters his second year under the same offensive coordinator (Jimmy Raye) for the first time in his career. Carr, new to Raye's system, particularly struggled on deep balls.