NFL fines Cowboys' Owens $35,000 for spitting on Hall

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2701378

IRVING, Texas -- Terrell Owens has 35,000 reasons to never spit at an opponent again.

T.O. was fined $35,000 by the NFL on Monday for spitting in the face of Atlanta cornerback DeAngelo Hall during Saturday night's Cowboys-Falcons game.

Although it's more than twice as much as the last fine for spitting, the flamboyant receiver avoided a suspension.

That doesn't mean he is out of Cowboys coach Bill Parcells' doghouse.

Parcells said Monday "we don't condone that kind of activity," adding that the team may also punish Owens.

"If we did, I wouldn't make anybody aware of it," Parcells said, thus indicating that won't be a suspension either.

Owens wasn't ejected because officials didn't see it.

Hall had called for the NFL to suspend Owens.

"I think, for what he did, he deserves more than a fine," Hall said on Sunday. "The guy has all the money in the world. He's making $10 million or whatever this year. So what's a fine going to mean to him, really? What he did, it was [vulgar], you know? But he's a great player, a great competitor, and what would hurt him a lot more than a fine is making him sit. That would get his attention. And that's what I think the league should do. They need to do something pretty [severe], because there's something wrong with him, and he just can't get away with this kind of stuff."

Hall was adamant on Sunday that Owens offered no apology.

Did T.O. even know he spat at Hall?

At first, he said he did, telling the NFL Network after the game: "I got frustrated and I apologize for that. It was a situation where he kept bugging me and getting in my face."

But on Monday, he insisted it was an accident.

"When it happened, we were jawing in each other's face, so it wasn't anything intentional," Owens said. "I didn't intentionally spit in his face. He's trying to make it seem like more than what it was by saying I hauled off and spit in his face. I feel like if I spit in his face ... somebody would've seen it."

This isn't the first "accident" surrounding Owens this season.

Among the many incidents in his event-filled season, was an accidental overdose that landed him in a hospital emergency room. His publicist denied a police report calling it a possible suicide attempt, saying he had 25 million reasons to live.

During a playoff game last season, Washington's Sean Taylor was kicked out of a game for spitting at Tampa Bay's Michael Pittman. Taylor was later fined $17,000.

Denver linebacker Bill Romanowski was fined $7,500 for spitting in the face of 49ers receiver J.J. Stokes in 1997.

Owens is making $10 million this season as part of a three-year, $25 million contract signed in March.

Not having Owens would've hurt the Cowboys (9-5) more, too, as he's their leading receiver and they are fighting for playoff positioning.

They've already clinched a playoff spot, but can win the NFC East with a victory Monday against Philadelphia -- Owens' former team.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Hall needs to work on his coverage skills instead of whining about being spat on. He shouldn't have been talking all that shit.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I don't condone spitting on people but Hall shouldn't be running off at the mouth talking all that shit. T.O. said he spit on him because he was getting on his nerves...LOL

If T.O. didn't admit it, he wouldn't have gotten fined.

Jul 24, 2005
man did anyone see when t.o spit on him shit hall should have spit on his damn self the way to was burning his ass up saturday

Apr 25, 2002
Romanowski only got fined $7,500 for doing it. The dude who did it in he playoffs last year (I can't remember who it was) was only fined $15,000. So Owens getting a $35,000 fine seems a bit much. Although he is known to do stupid shit like this so that's probably why they decided to hit him with such a big fine.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Romanowski only got fined $7,500 for doing it. The dude who did it in he playoffs last year (I can't remember who it was) was only fined $15,000. So Owens getting a $35,000 fine seems a bit much. Although he is known to do stupid shit like this so that's probably why they decided to hit him with such a big fine.
It was Sean Taylor from the Redskins who spat on Michael Pittman of the Bucs. I agree with you on this... it's a bit much. Romanowski spit a fat as loogie in J.J. Stokes face (which the camera caught) and he only got fined $7,500. They didn't even see T.O. spit on Hall and he got fined almost 5 times as much. And Romanowski has a dirtier history than T.O.

I think DeAngelo Hall is mad because T.O. scored on his ass twice. He shouldn't have been talking all that shit. Now he's whining like a little bitch and wants T.O. suspended. He should have just whipped T.O.'s ass. I know if someone spits in my face, I am not just going to walk away and then cry foul to the league.

May 2, 2002
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Although he is known to do stupid shit like this so that's probably why they decided to hit him with such a big fine.
He's not known to spit on players or attack other players (physically)...but I know what you're saying.

On a side note...Hall shouldn't be complaining too much. He took a cheap shot on Kitna earlier in the year...hit him in the back of the head...and got fined for it.

Another thing...I wonder if T.O. really did it intentionally. Hall is known to be really aggressive and talk alot of shit...I don't see him getting spit on and doing nothing about it.

He would go after Kitna for pushing another player, but not T.O for spitting in his face?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
^Exactly. Hall is acting like a bitch. He should have done something on the spot instead of waiting til after the game and crying to the league.