New Orleans Cops charged with battery CAUGHT ON VIDEO

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 1, 2002
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/10/taped.beatings.ap/index.html
click on link for link to videos

A videotape made by the Associated Press Television News crew shows two patrolmen repeatedly punching a man identified as 64-year-old Robert Davis. The tape shows a third officer grabbing and shoving an APTN producer.

After a brief hearing, at which trial was set for January 11, the officers were released on bond. They quickly left in cars without commenting.

They were suspended without pay Sunday, police spokesman Marlon Defillo said. The police promised a criminal investigation.

"It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it," Defillo said. (Watch raw footage of the beating -- 1:26)

The confrontations come as the department -- long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption -- struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the suspect, Davis, at least four times in the head Saturday night outside a French Quarter bar. Davis appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers.

Another of the officers then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter. ( Watch video of what Davis looked like after the beating -- 2:27)

Then a fifth officer ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and the cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

"I've been here for six weeks trying to keep ... alive. ... Go home!" shouted the officer, who identified himself as S.M. Smith.

In addition to Smith, the other officers charged were identified as Lance Schilling and Robert Evangelist. Smith is an eight-year veteran of the force, while Evangelist and Schilling have served three years each.

"The incidents taped by our cameraman are extremely troubling," said Mike Silverman, AP's managing editor. "We are heartened that the police department is taking them seriously and promising a thorough investigation."

Police said Davis, of New Orleans, was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. He was treated at a hospital and released into police custody.

A mug shot of Davis, provided by a jailer, showed him with his right eye swollen shut, an apparent abrasion on the left side of his neck and a cut on his right temple.

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Two of the officers in the video appeared to be federal officers. Numerous agencies have sent police to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina, and Defillo said it would be up to their commanders to decide if they would face charges.

Under normal circumstances, it takes unusually offensive behavior to trigger an arrest on Bourbon Street. But New Orleans police have been working under stressful conditions since the hurricane. About 300 officers apparently either died, abandoned their posts or disappeared for some other reason.

Those who stayed slept in their cars and worked 24-hour shifts after the storm. Three-quarters lost their homes and their families are scattered across the country.

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Conditions have improved -- officers now have beds on a cruise ship -- but they don't have private rooms and are still working five, 12-hour days.

Compass, the police superintendent, resigned September 27. Despite more than 10 years of reform efforts dating to before he took office, police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars -- including 41 new Cadillacs -- as the storm closed in. (Full story)

YOU KNOW they would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for the video tape and reporters. Fucked up this is the by-standers just watching knowing damn well the cops were using excessive force. Look at the beating and afterwards, they didn't even send an ambulance, just left him in pain bleeding. Pigs get no love, beating on a 64 year old man, fucked up. And a pig steps on the beat down man in handcuffs, fucking bitches.

Jun 27, 2003
That's fucked up, especially at the end after they handcuffed em and those peckerwoods kept kickin him. Fuckin pussies feel real big beating the shit out of an elder man like that, damn perckerwoods. Another reason why it's fuck the police on mines.

A lot of ppl say shit like, not ALL cops are like that. Well, my argument for that is.. one time the chief of police was giving a briefing to his pigs. He said shit like "we have rising numbers of guns, homicides, and gang members out there. We have to treat every one we deal with as if they have a gun or some sort of weapon on them...."

Well shit, pigs are dangerous, and have been dangerous. I treat em like they're all thugs.

Jun 27, 2003
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR...AND THEY WAY THAT COP SHCOVED THE PRODUCER???THATS A LAWSIUT WAITING TO HAPPEN!
That's what I'm saying, the pig fucked up when he tried to choke out the producer. He might be able to get away with beating an old black man, but he aint finna get away from puttin his hands on a white, producer. It looked like the doode was smiling in the clip after the piggy walked away like he was thinking "GOTCHA BITCH"

Apr 25, 2002
Did you see how bloody dude was? That was a severe asswhoopin. And did you see how after they beat his ass they left him there cuffed, face-down in his own blood, not even trying to attend to him. One cop even nudged him back down with his foot as he was writhing around in pain trying to get up. Fuck cops.

Aug 8, 2003
I was listening too the radio a while ago and they were talking about what happend in LA when the cops opend fire on dood who held his daughter hostage and killed em both...

mannn they use the danger of the streets as justification to assert violence and then sugar coat it as authority...

ill never forget when i asked a cop...

TROLL:"So, u guyz can wear bullet proof vests and we cant right?"

Cop: "yeah"

TROLL: doesnt sound fair does it?

Cop: "I spend eight hours a day every day on these streets in these bad neighborhoods so i need some protection"

TROLL: "and??? I live here.. ur work place is my home.."

Cop: Sit down and be quiet.

FUCKKK THE POLICE

Feb 21, 2003
fuck those punk ass police for what they did, too bad they dont do lynchings anymore cuz those motherfuckers deserve that shit, makin us white folks look bad again an again....

fuck that shit....

Jun 27, 2003
TROLL said:
I was listening too the radio a while ago and they were talking about what happend in LA when the cops opend fire on dood who held his daughter hostage and killed em both...

mannn they use the danger of the streets as justification to assert violence and then sugar coat it as authority...

ill never forget when i asked a cop...

TROLL:"So, u guyz can wear bullet proof vests and we cant right?"

Cop: "yeah"

TROLL: doesnt sound fair does it?

Cop: "I spend eight hours a day every day on these streets in these bad neighborhoods so i need some protection"

TROLL: "and??? I live here.. ur work place is my home.."

Cop: Sit down and be quiet.

FUCKKK THE POLICE
I know right.. just cuz you live next to the folks that's out there killing, robbing, etc etc they think you supposed to be cool with them. Shiet, folks livin in the ghetto need protection too, not just the rich ass suburbs.

Their job aint as dangerous as folks make it out to be. The great majority of cops will never have been shot at during their whole career