new computer technologies

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
whats the verdict on this whole dual core duo eight core triples and hyper transporting phenom quad cores for audio purposes? Has anyone tried any of the new stuffs?

I'm looking to upgrade since i don't like my motherboard anyways. I'm going to have to buy new ram and a new power supply too.

Mar 22, 2004
I'm in the same boat. I recently bought some software and figured I'd get a couple gigs of ram to help out the situation and my shit was still laggin. I hit the tech support and they told me my dual 2ghz G5 with 4gb of ram wasn't enough to run multiple instances of the plug in isntrument. So I'm like damn, what the fuck do I gotta get now!!!
I aint trying to spend 4g's on a mac!

This may be the time I'm forced to switch back to PC!!!!!!!

Heresy it may be time we build that super computer for me , lol

Oct 11, 2005
I just got an intel core2quad q6600 (Running Vista, not that bad if you do a couple tweaks to it), and I'm running hella plugins that I could never run before and I can still keep it at a latency of 128 samples.Keep in mind I'm coming from a single core though. I had to stay in the 32-bit domain (stuck with 4 gb ram max and it only see's about 3.5 of that) because some of the programs I use aren't supported by the 64-bit os yet. Just thought I'd drop my 2 cent's.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
ill say this pc is about as stable as mac these days its hard to crash a pc so i see no reason to go with mac except maybe final cut pro or logic. just make sure you stick with windows xp and dont get vista or you will be kicking yourself. microsoft kinda shot themself in the foot with that shit.

i have built and sold one of them quad processor machines u speak of - THE BUSINESS. and it was cheap too compared to the competition. fucking machine ran call of duty 4 so fucking smooth at highest resolution it was butter.

i gotta dual core with 2gb ram and after overloading the shit out of it with waves plugins in pro tools it tells me there is not enough power but im sure a quad core with 8gb wouldnt have the slightest problem. on my 2gb dual core call of duty runs at pretty generic resolution and is much more choppy than that quad - still looks better than a ps3/xbox 360 though

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
how much would it be to build one of those monsters? im gonna need a new pc in the next 8 months or so.

Apr 26, 2006
native instruments Massive
Pretty good synth, but I don't see the point in using it that much considering there's so many other good VST synths out there. I think that synth is better for Electronica music: trance, house, drum n bass,etc... For me personally, that synth is exactly too "Massive," I wouldn't use half of the $hit it has. That GUI is an eye sore for me, just too much shit scattered about. Judging by it's factory presets, it seems like most of the sounds are enhanced due to it's built-in FX section.

Have you messed with Z3ta+, Sylenth1, Zebra2, Surge? I personally like those synths better than Massive. They hog less CPU as well from what I can tell. There's also a new synth called "Circle" that's pretty nice.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I'm in the same boat. I recently bought some software and figured I'd get a couple gigs of ram to help out the situation and my shit was still laggin. I hit the tech support and they told me my dual 2ghz G5 with 4gb of ram wasn't enough to run multiple instances of the plug in isntrument. So I'm like damn, what the fuck do I gotta get now!!!

It can be built, just need to buckle down and run through a list of parts and options. Would you want this built simply so you can run that vst/plugin or so you can upgrade later?

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com

But if you dooo, you can get the new 8 core mac...you'll live a more happy life.

I was looking at the amd 9950 and the intel Q6600, not sure which brand i should go with this time.

Well, I'll try intel this time. I can always return it...

Mar 22, 2004
It can be built, just need to buckle down and run through a list of parts and options. Would you want this built simply so you can run that vst/plugin or so you can upgrade later?
I wanna spend less than a G really. Is there a way I can toggle with one monitor?
I'd like to possibly start working on a PC but keep my G5 for web and the rest of my shit.

Really only use the PC for music and thats it, nothing more.

I would want it so I can possibly upgrade later too

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I wanna spend less than a G really. Is there a way I can toggle with one monitor?
I'd like to possibly start working on a PC but keep my G5 for web and the rest of my shit.

Really only use the PC for music and thats it, nothing more.

I would want it so I can possibly upgrade later too
You can get a nice quad for $700-1,000. By toggle with one monitor do you mean keep one monitor connected to 2 computers? If so, this is possible. With the right mobo, upgrades won't be an issue .

The best thing to do would be to build it as if it were going to handle video or would be used for gaming, but still supported by digidesign as Pro Tools will most likely be your daw of choice and most picky. Also, no vista of any kind. Stick with xp pro thats optimized for performance and not for visuals (shading and all that other fun colorful shit) and you'll be set.

Let me know when you want me to start looking for parts and I'm on it.

Mar 22, 2004
You can get a nice quad for $700-1,000. By toggle with one monitor do you mean keep one monitor connected to 2 computers? If so, this is possible. With the right mobo, upgrades won't be an issue .

The best thing to do would be to build it as if it were going to handle video or would be used for gaming, but still supported by digidesign as Pro Tools will most likely be your daw of choice and most picky. Also, no vista of any kind. Stick with xp pro thats optimized for performance and not for visuals (shading and all that other fun colorful shit) and you'll be set.

Let me know when you want me to start looking for parts and I'm on it.
thanks will do.
and yeh one monitor two computers. one for work one for everything else.
Without switching cables and stuff,

28g w/o the bag

politically incorrect
Jan 18, 2003
metro's jurisdiction
siccness.net
ill say this pc is about as stable as mac these days its hard to crash a pc so i see no reason to go with mac except maybe final cut pro or logic. just make sure you stick with windows xp
...and don't try to log on to facebook or download pirated bangbus videos on the same computer you're composing your music on.

::

Jul 12, 2002
I just got an intel core2quad q6600 (Running Vista, not that bad if you do a couple tweaks to it), and I'm running hella plugins that I could never run before and I can still keep it at a latency of 128 samples.Keep in mind I'm coming from a single core though. I had to stay in the 32-bit domain (stuck with 4 gb ram max and it only see's about 3.5 of that) because some of the programs I use aren't supported by the 64-bit os yet. Just thought I'd drop my 2 cent's.
I just built a computer using the same processor and it's running vista 32-bit as well. Shit runs hella smooth in all areas. I only got 2gb of ram that's my only lowpoint of the machine. I'm gonna test out a game on it this weekend.