nevermind, obama wants to arrest marijuana users after all

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 1, 2006
Nevermind, Barack Obama Wants to Arrest Marijuana Users After All
Article Posted in Chronicle Blog by Scott Morgan on Fri, 02/01/2008 - 10:19pm

For one brief glorious moment, we thought Barack Obama supported marijuana decriminalization. He said so in 2004 and his campaign reiterated it yesterday, only to subsequently retreat and pledge support for current marijuana laws.

At first, Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said that the candidate had "always" supported decriminalizing marijuana, suggesting his 2004 statement was correct. Then after the Times posted copies of the video on its Web site today, his campaign reversed course and declared he does not support eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana possession and use.

"If you're convicted of a crime, you should be punished, but that we are sending far too many first-time, non-violent drug users to prison for very long periods of time, and that we should rethink those laws," Vietor said. The spokesman blamed confusion over the meaning of decriminalization for the conflicting answers. [Washington Times]

Indeed, as Pete Guither notes, no one is really sure what "decriminalization" actually means, which likely explains the Obama campaign's ultimate unwillingness to be associated with the term.

And that tells you everything you need to know about why meaningful debate of our marijuana laws is continuously excluded from mainstream politics. Since the relevant vocabulary words have no universally accepted definition, candidates attempting to discuss marijuana would be forced to use entire sentences or even paragraphs to express their opinions. This is not something they will do voluntarily.

Note, for example, that everything we know about the major candidates' drug policy positions has emerged as a result of someone explicitly asking them. The tortured evolution of Obama's views on marijuana occurred only because this information was demanded of him. First, Bill Maher forced Chris Dodd to discuss the issue, resulting in Dodd's endorsement of marijuana decrim. Then, Tim Russert asked other democratic contenders whether they disagreed with Dodd. The front-runners sheepishly raised their hands in opposition to even mild marijuana reform. Finally, when the Washington Times forced Obama to clarify his conflicting positions, Obama's campaign briefly endorsed reform before finally concluding that they opposed decrim even though they're still not sure what it is.

The conventional wisdom among my colleagues seems to be that Obama "gets" the drug war issue. Everything he says and does can be attributed to his presidential aspirations, I'm told, and we should be grateful that he at least flirts with criminal justice reform. That's fine as far as it goes, but I continue to question the fundamental political wisdom of refusing to talk about marijuana. It's an issue people care about. It's an issue that gets headlines. And it's an issue that's been handled about as poorly as one could possibly imagine for a long long time.

I believe that marijuana reform, properly and passionately framed by an eloquent and viable candidate, could prove to be far less toxic than the brilliant campaign strategists in Washington D.C. collectively assume. And it is nauseating to consider that this terrible war on marijuana users owes its survival as much to a flawed political calculus as to the actual beliefs and convictions of those who sustain it.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2008/feb/01/nevermind_barack_obama_wants_to_

Jun 2, 2002
^^nobody is talking about legalization...just decriminalization. it's gonna be illegal either way, we're just hoping that they chill the fuck out on locking up nonviolent drug offenders

Nov 10, 2006
didn't he also say he would stop the medical club raids?
He said " I would not have the justice department prosecute because there are better use of the resources"

It was very insincere when he said it, and he turned to someone for the answer when asked. When watching it, anyone who has been around the block knows it was a BS answer to get where he wanted to get as he falls in line within the narrow scope of the two party system. But really, in this day and age, does hardly anyone really care about voting on laws and a government of the people by the people.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
well it aint like hes gonna fuck off his chances with the older folk by just flat out saying aiight weeds gon be decriminalized everywhere, before he gets elected

i mean getting too deep into marijuana issues this close to the tale of the tape wouldnt even be a good idea, i give obama a better chance at decrim than hilary clinton, for all i know she thinks bills not-inhaling gave him a zest for office blowjobs

i mean keep it real, this nigga smokes newports

you really cant smoke newports and think marijuana is all that bad. its pretty much impossible. newports, now you need to get locked up for smoking those, if anything. fuckin up the ozone layer with your minty freshness

and then its like, look at dudes lips no homo, theyre as black as a black girls asshole, its liek a purple black, kinda like camrons color he created... he smoke somethin, more than ports..i think he used to smoke hella bammer out of a plastic bong...or some shit, yo lips dont just be lookin purple for no reason.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Obama smokes Newports? I want picture proof. And no photoshops of him smoking a port while sippin' grape drink and eating fried chicken. I want to see a real damn picture of him smoking ports. I don't believe this for some reason.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Damn, Philly cheese steak sounds hella good right about now. My boy is in a rock band and lives in West Philly and when I was out there a few summers ago I think I ate a cheese steak every day. A Philly with whizz and onions is the way to go.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
yeah, theres a philly-native ran philly shop out here. they kinda hate on the whizz tho. they said that its only for one spot, because they (the philly shop in philly) kinda created it and its been historic sense...he pointed out the place on the wall....homeboy was all..i can make it with whizz if you want to..but in my opinion what shit fucking sucks and i dont want you to not like your sandwich...its mostly for people who buy into the 'original philly' novelty

i was like um...wow..well..okay...ill take a regular philly?

i mean if youre gonna make it sound like im gonna get mad and throw the shit at the cook.....fuck

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=2855994&page=2
Obama to Quit -- Smoking, That Is
Political Wunderkind Ready for White House Run, First Opponent Marlboro Reds
FONT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
RSS

National Media Butts In

Obama has admitted to cocaine and marijuana use in his teenage years, but it's his use of cigarettes that has merited national media attention.

The New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd wrote that his penchant for butts makes the Democrat "intriguingly imperfect," while Fox News Channel's John Gibson has called it "Obama's dirty little secret" and argued that it makes him wonder "what else do we not know about Barack Obama?" (This literally days before Gibson helped spread the false smear that Obama attended an Indonesian madrassa as a youth.)

Clearly mindful of the image issues smoking may cause, Obama has been careful to keep images of him with what health advocates call "cancer sticks" out of the newspapers.

Unlike Presidents Franklin Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton, members of the media have been unable to find photographic images of Obama smoking even a cigar or pipe. The political gossip Web site Wonkette.com has even offered reward money for anyone who can produce a picture of Obama smoking.

"For someone who's known to be a smoker and for a senator who's photographed all the time, it's odd that there aren't actually pictures of him smoking," said Wonkette editor Alex Pareene.

Not really, though -- Wonkette has also tried in vain to obtain smoking photographs of House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, an unrepentant chain smoker whose Barclays aromatically fill the area outside his Capitol Hill office as if it were an enormous marble ashtray.

Other rumored present or past smokers in political life -- first lady Laura Bush, former Vice President Al Gore -- have assiduously kept any signs of the habit away from any prying shutterbugs.

Health Advocates See Education Opportunity

Some anti-smoking advocates want Obama to come forward even more publicly to discuss his habit.

"I think it would be an enormous first step forward if he would come all the way out of the closet and say, 'I smoke, I wish I didn't, I plan on quitting again, I've tried this many times,'" said Cheryl Healton, president and CEO of the American Legacy Foundation. "Because if you dig deep behind the story, my guess is that's probably the reality, that he wants to quit and has tried many times."