Net neutrality

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 27, 2014
What about all the companies that depend on the internet ? Somebody will probably create a new version to get around it

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
All that data was fun for that short time. Now it's back to ISP's trying to strong arm Netflix, music apps, VoIP's etc. Which means the costs pass to us.

All that shit about ISP's charging extra for access to certain websites and different tiers specifically for Social Media, Gaming, Youtube etc. I doubt will happen though. It would have happened before 2015. AT&T tried it with FaceTime in 2013 and failed miserably.

But who knows though, the reigns on our supposed "freedom" get pulled tighter and tighter everyday so maybe they will charge us an extra $5 a month just for Youtube lol

May 4, 2002
how does this effect me?

i get X amount from comcast and never hit the limit ever. (i use 22%)

i get unlimited cell/data (never slowed down) service bc i didnt go into their dumb ass services.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
From an economic perspective, what the Obama administration did was disruptive to our economy. If we want to say that what the Trump administration is doing is disruptive to us on a rights level, then please explain what's different. They have already been scrubbing the internet to push what they want you to read under every single administration. They have already been throttling users in the US under every single administration. Big business in this realm has already been growing toward monopolization under every single administration. Poor areas were not getting high speed service under every single administration.

It's a dirty game any way you slice it. The whole argument that net neutrality somehow did something for us common folk is bullshit. This is all about money and which companies get which pieces of the pie. At least under a removal of net neutrality, we allow the market to drive supply and demand, which is how economics works. When the government interferes with that, it isn't to benefit us, it is merely some behind the scenes bs where we still get screwed and they smile in our face with lies. I prefer them to smile in my face tell the truth and we still get screwed. That way the naive can see the enemy too.

Last edited:

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
how does this effect me?

i get X amount from comcast and never hit the limit ever. (i use 22%)

i get unlimited cell/data (never slowed down) service bc i didnt go into their dumb ass services.
If net neutrality gets revoked this means isp's can charge websites of their choosing certain fees to run content on their platform. What that means to the consumer is those fees will be passed on to us in the disguise of higher subscription costs or a subscription cost altogether to access certain websites.

Imo its obvious the head of the fcc owes some favors to Comcast as streaming services are eating at the cable companies profits.

May 4, 2002
If net neutrality gets revoked this means isp's can charge websites of their choosing certain fees to run content on their platform. What that means to the consumer is those fees will be passed on to us in the disguise of higher subscription costs or a subscription cost altogether to access certain websites.

Imo its obvious the head of the fcc owes some favors to Comcast as streaming services are eating at the cable companies profits.
i get it will be passed on, but as of today i pay $150 for triple play (comcast) and $150 (aT&t) ALL UNLIMITED. i never get over charged. its all in the contract.

i wasnt dumb enough to sign shit that will raise my bill, so i dont see how this would affect me in the long run.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
i get it will be passed on, but as of today i pay $150 for triple play (comcast) and $150 (aT&t) ALL UNLIMITED. i never get over charged. its all in the contract.

i wasnt dumb enough to sign shit that will raise my bill, so i dont see how this would affect me in the long run.
You won't see a change in your cable bill. You will see a change in the internet as you know it as affected sites will make it mandatory to subscribe to their site for a monthly fee for access, as an example.

Heavy traffic sites will change to a subscribe model to break even.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
ISP's have had a history of strong arming companies into paying them fees for "rights" to send their data over the networks.

10 years ago the big issue was ISP's strong arming VoIP providers because VoIP was killing ISP's ability to make money off of old telephone services.

In 2014 both Comcast and Verizon was throttling Netflix so bad Netflix had to finally cave in and pay fees to both Comcast and Verizon. Verizon even mocked Netflix in the media saying shit like "we can charge them as much as we want for as long as we want and the FCC can't do anything about it". Well, Net Neutrality did something about it and it stopped ISP's from being able to strong arm companies.

The fear is now with ISP's being able to strong arm companies again, that the companies will pass the extra fees onto the consumer. Things like Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, Xbox Live, Playstation Network, current free gaming servers, might end up costing more or going from free to pay to play.

There was also talk a few years ago before Net Neutrality that ISP's wanted to introduce different "highways" that your data travels through and you would have to pay different fees to get things you like onto the fast lane of the "highway". If you like Social Media, then you get Facebook, Twitter, Instagram unlocked with a Social Media package with faster speeds on the "highway" for an extra fee. If you like sports then you get ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. with a Sports Package allowing faster speeds through the "highway" for a fee. If you don't buy the special packages, those items are throttled on your devices and run on the slow lane of the "highway".

People are worried that idea they had years ago is gonna come back.

Right now it's all speculation. For all we know the ISP's won't become evil super villains and the internet will stay the same. Or they can milk us for everything they possibly can because they know humanity is now brain dead zombies who can't look away from their phones or Netflix and we may be mad for awhile, but when the mad period wears off, then the overcharging is just now reality.

Who knows what's gonna happen though. All of us sheep are gonna pay them regardless.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
The fear is now with ISP's being able to strong arm companies again, that the companies will pass the extra fees onto the consumer. Things like Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, Xbox Live, Playstation Network, current free gaming servers, might end up costing more or going from free to pay to play.

Who knows what's gonna happen though. All of us sheep are gonna pay them regardless.
You hit it spot on. Anyone subscribing to any of that crap is a sheep for certain. "Its the illusion that you're in.....While we sleep in America our house is burning down."

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
"Its the illusion that you're in.....While we sleep in America our house is burning down."

A couple months ago I was talking to this girl in one of my college classes. She's 20 and just now starting to get "woke". She was completely dumbfounded as to why the majority of people don't actually know about or care about real issues.

All I told her was because people get to chug Mountain Dew, shove Doritos down their throats, eat their McDonalds, and stay glued to their smart phones and Netflix. People have been thrust into their own little bubble of manufactured low effort "happiness" by people who are actually in control of this world to essentially stay sheep.

It dawned on her and kind of broke her, I might have sucked the spirit out of a youthful college student who actually cared about the world that day lol