Nelson to return to Warriors as coach

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Updated: Aug. 29, 2006, 12:08 PM ET
Sources: Nelson to return to Warriors as coach
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Don Nelson will be named as the new coach of the Golden State Warriors this week after the Warriors agreed to terms on a buyout with Mike Montgomery.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that things are "all lined up" for Nelson, 66, to return to the Warriors, who haven't been to the playoffs since 1994 when Nelson was still their coach.

Montgomery had two seasons left on his contract worth an estimated $5 million.

Before joining Golden State, Montgomery, 59, spent 18 years at Stanford, where he led the Cardinal to 16 postseason appearances and a trip to the '98 Final Four.

"I'm very appreciative of the opportunity that I was presented two years ago," Montgomery said in a statement released by the team. "This was a new challenge that I was eager to embrace and glad that I had the chance to pursue and experience. I'd like to thank the Warriors' organization for their support, professionalism and class, and I'd also like to thank the fans of the Bay Area. This is a tremendous region for basketball and the support that they have provided me over the years has been simply outstanding."

Apr 25, 2002
WTF? This is shocking..I dont really know what to think..
On one hand Im glad Monty is gone and I definetly think Nelson is a much better NBA coach. At the same time Ive never been a huge fan of Nelson..I would've been much happier giving Mario Elie a chance.

Feb 7, 2006
3VID3NC3 said:
WTF? This is shocking..I dont really know what to think..
On one hand Im glad Monty is gone and I definetly think Nelson is a much better NBA coach. At the same time Ive never been a huge fan of Nelson..I would've been much happier giving Mario Elie a chance.
thats real talk i dont see what he finna do with the w's with the talent he had in dallas..but its whatever.. i 4sho aint as juiced as i was last season

ComputerNerd

Graphic Artist
Apr 25, 2002
there goes to show you Mullin's stance on DEFENSE !! lol.......i think i'm gonna get the 22 game package this year.........i woulda rather have a trade than firing Monty, but he did have to go........

NEXT MOVE: TRADE Dun Jr. for Cory Maggette !!!

May 15, 2002
So if Hardaway, Mullin and Richmond were RUN TMC

what does that now make Baron, Richardson and whoever

What i'll most enjoy about this move is watching the return of small ball. Maybe he can bring Manute back to shoot the 3 and update the fish ties to stunner shades.

Jan 4, 2003
Edward Thizzerhands said:
Whats up with Oakland teams diggin up Coaches of Contreversial Past???First Art Shell...NOW Don Nelson???Man..NO ONE wants to coach any Oakland teams....YIKES!!!!
your sayin Shell wasn't good for the Raiders.... He's already turned things around.... I guess you'll just have to wait and see

Sep 17, 2005
Damn they aint been to the playoffs since when? I remember when Run TMC beat the Spurs in playoffs, thats the last time I remember them winnin a series. GS was like 7 seed and they played that small ball bullshit and had like 37 spare pwr fowards and centers to hack the shit out of David Robinson. I remember bitch ass Tom Tolbert was one of them.