need help picking equipment,starting out as a dj

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
You want to play around with a CD player? Because that's what you would be doing. If that's what you want to do, then sure it's a good deal seeing as the Cortex DMIX 300 is $500 just on it's own.

I would go with the Technics 1200 MK2's for the tables, and Vestax for the mixer, Vestax PMC-05 Pro is a solid mixer. And then build from there, headphones, cables, and so forth.

I ain't really digging the whole dual CD Player I-Pod Doc thing. But if all you want to do is eventually play CD's in clubs and at weddings and what not, that package should be a good starting point for you.

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah CD players are coo.. But u never will get the experience of learning on vinyl, which I highly recommend ESPECIALLY if you're a hiphop DJ.

I would get nuthin less than 1200s (Technics).. They are the stand by of DJing.. They are the best.. everyone uses em, they last FOREVER. I would compare it to a car, but there is no car that compares to it. It will last longer than a car and stay in better shape.

You can find real good deals on craigslist, depending on how hard you wanna look. I looked for about 2 weeks and got a mixer and 2 1200s with needles for 600. I would say $300 is a decent deal for a single Technic with a needle, but you can do better. Anything under $200 for a single 1200 is suspiciously low. You should be able to find a good deal on craigslist.

Since 1200s are fuckin tanks and they're the best and they last forever like I said, you dont really gotta worry bout buying it used, unless you insist of having something brand new. Just test that it actually plays music, and it should be all good.

Peace and best wishes for your DJing pursuits

Dec 9, 2005
I don't know...I would suggest getting CD decks. Just on the sheer fact that unless you're doing turntablist type of stuff. You'll never really have an advantage with vinyl.

Sure its great to learn on. But the thing is that realistically...you're not going to want to go out and spend a lot of money on vinyl, not unless you're making something off of it. Its so much easier nowadays to buy CDs or get MP3s..

Just get some Denon S3500's..they're not too expensive...and feel pretty authentic as far as getting the vinyl feel.

Oct 21, 2006
I don't know...I would suggest getting CD decks. Just on the sheer fact that unless you're doing turntablist type of stuff. You'll never really have an advantage with vinyl.

Sure its great to learn on. But the thing is that realistically...you're not going to want to go out and spend a lot of money on vinyl, not unless you're making something off of it. Its so much easier nowadays to buy CDs or get MP3s..

Just get some Denon S3500's..they're not too expensive...and feel pretty authentic as far as getting the vinyl feel.
You can always get Serato.. Thats what I did.

DJ Coma is right tho.. It just boils down to what you wanna do.

BTW, whatever you do, I highly suggest you at least learn to beatmatch by ear and not by looking at waveforms.

Dec 18, 2002
Since people throwin out ideas...i got turntables and im learning with vinyl to spin hip hop, i got a cheap numark package to learn on, the mixer is no good though, whats a good mixer to upgrade to?

Oct 21, 2006
^ How much are you looking to spend? You can get a decent Vestax for less than $300 used on craigslist.

Look at this.. You can even get this cheap one for $120: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/623458091.html
That's what I have. It's great except there's no cue/master switch for the headphones, and there's no mic input. It's very basic. The crossfader curve is adjustable (important for scratching), and the volume faders are adjustable if you open up the mixer (unscrew 4 screws).

It would definitely be better than your Numark. Those DJ-In-A-Box things are usually pretty bad, but I guess it's not bad to learn on.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
Hell, I'm GLAD I learned on shitty turntables cause when I finally did get techs I was a beast lol

But wasn't there a thread almost identical to this a few months ago? Might wanna use the search tool

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
Better to get turntables and Serato (since it's obvious dude has a computer) in my opinion...That way u get to have better mixing manipulation and aren't limited to how many songs u can play.

Really just depends on how serious you're tryin to get and what kinda DJ you wanna be.

Jul 12, 2002
Mark do you use the TTM 57SL for your mixer or do you just got the Serato box? I need somebody to school me on the fx on the 57 because they're hard as hell to figure out and I want to use them because I love the fx on the 800 and like using them when performing.

Jul 12, 2002
BTW, whatever you do, I highly suggest you at least learn to beatmatch by ear and not by looking at waveforms.
Props for this statement. Keep this in mind when learning if you want to become a true DJ. I'm not gonna lie I use Serato and I watch the waveforms part of the time. What I usual do is get it matched up by ear without looking and then when Im actually gonna start dropping it so the crowd can hear it I will look at it now and then if I hear it start to go off.

If you learn to be a good DJ without Serato, then when you hop on Serato, you will be a better DJ. Whereas I don't see the same correlation with the people who start by learning with Serato. They'll be able to beatmatch at some point by using their eyes and can get pretty good at it, but overall they will reach a point where they can't get any better.

Oct 21, 2006
Props for this statement. Keep this in mind when learning if you want to become a true DJ. I'm not gonna lie I use Serato and I watch the waveforms part of the time. What I usual do is get it matched up by ear without looking and then when Im actually gonna start dropping it so the crowd can hear it I will look at it now and then if I hear it start to go off.
Unfortunately I do that too, and when spinning vinyl I have noticed my inability to adjust using my ears. Yes I learned on vinyl, but I didnt really reinforce my learning on vinyl. I never mastered it. I knew how to beatmatch on vinyl for about 6 months, then I got Serato.

Jul 12, 2002
Unfortunately I do that too, and when spinning vinyl I have noticed my inability to adjust using my ears. Yes I learned on vinyl, but I didnt really reinforce my learning on vinyl. I never mastered it. I knew how to beatmatch on vinyl for about 6 months, then I got Serato.
I usually just do a practice session with straight vinyl about once a week to keep my game sharp. I mean at least you learned to beatmatch first though man. So many new cats get their first setup with serato these days never own a real record. I can't really blame them though, because vinyl is a bitch to haul around and order to keep up to date. I don't think they're really aware that getting Serato to start with is hurting them though.

Oct 21, 2006
I usually just do a practice session with straight vinyl about once a week to keep my game sharp. I mean at least you learned to beatmatch first though man. So many new cats get their first setup with serato these days never own a real record. I can't really blame them though, because vinyl is a bitch to haul around and order to keep up to date. I don't think they're really aware that getting Serato to start with is hurting them though.
About how long do you practice for that vinyl session? I try to do an hour to two hour session on vinyl too, but it usually ends up happening only once a month. I should probably start doing it every week though.