Music News

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld

The Mountain Goats have announced details of their 14th studio album: Transcendental Youth will be released on October 2nd via Merge Records. The artwork is posted above, and the tracklist is below. Of the 11 tracks included, we’ve already seen the band perform “The Diaz Brothers” and “In Memory of Satan” during past concerts.

Frontman John Darnielle previously described the album as their “Satan record.” According to RollingStone.com, it deals with religious and social outcasts, and was written while tending to his infant son Roman in his Durham, North Carolina home.

01. Amy aka Spent Gladiator 1
02. Lakeside View Apartments Suite
03. Cry For Judas
04. Harlem Roulette
05. White Cedar
06. Until I Am Whole
07. Night Light
08. The Diaz Brothers
09. Counterfeit Florida Plates
10. In Memory of Satan
11. Spent Gladiator 2
12. Transcendental Youth
:cool:

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
New double album from Coheed & Cambria :cool:

Coheed and Cambria have announced an upcoming double album! The first of which is titled “The Afterman: Ascension” and will be released October 9, 2012 followed by it’s second volume, “The Afterman: Descension” slated for release in February 2013.
[video=youtube;vCBa01cDzuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCBa01cDzuc[/video]

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
Bon Iver on indefinite hiatus

Justin Vernon: Bon Iver "Winding Down"

"I have to turn it off and walk away from it"

By Larry Fitzmaurice on September 24, 2012 at 11:33 a.m.

Photo by Mitch Manzella
Justin Vernon's Bon Iver project released their massively successful self-titled album last year, and has been on tour ever since. But we might not be hearing much from Bon Iver for awhile in the future.
Update: A representative for Bon Iver's label, Jagjaguwar, says "They are just going off cycle after two very busy years on this record." Last night, Vernon appeared on Minnesota Public Radio station 89.3 The Current's Local Show, as City Pages points out (via the Daily Swarm). When questioned about what Bon Iver's "up to these days," here's what he said:
Winding it down. I look at it like a faucet. I have to turn it off and walk away from it because so much of how that music comes together is subconscious or discovering. There’s so much attention on the band, it can be distracting at times. I really feel the need to walk away from it while I still care about it. And then if I come back to it – if at all – I'll feel better about it and be renewed or something to do that.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
YouTube Is Now a Factor in Where Songs Land on the Billboard Charts

As of this week, Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart, which has been around for 55 years, will now incorporate YouTube views into its formula. And Baauer's viral sensation "Harlem Shake," which clocks in at No. 1 this week, is the first song to directly benefit from the new formula.
A week ago, "Harlem Shake" failed to even make the Hot 100, but due to it's enormous popularity on YouTube this week, with over 4,000 videos each day being published using the song, and over 203 million total YouTube views in the United States, it beat out Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop," the previous No. 1 song and most downloaded song of the week.
Billboard's editorial director Bill Werde explains, “The notion that a song has to sell in order to be a hit feels a little two or three years ago to me. The music business today — much to its credit — has started to learn that there are lots of different ways a song can be a hit, and lots of different ways that the business can benefit from it being a hit.”
David Bakula, a senior analyst at Nielsen Soundscan, the company that collects data for which the Billboard charts are based on, adds, “We want to measure how much consumption is going on, in whatever form a consumer chooses to consume something.”
So yes, sales and Spotify streams and radio plays will all still be taken into account, but YouTube views will now also play a factor in what songs charts on the Billboard Hot 100. And rightfully so.
[via NY Times]

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
B-Buzz @B-Buzz george of twin shadow composed the music for an upcoming short film