MOTIF XS RACK

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006
WELL I GUESS THERES A FEATURE WHEN CUBASE WILL RECOGNIZE YOUR MOTIF XS AS A VST. YOU CAN PICC YOUR SOUND STRAIT FROM THE VST AND USE THE MOTIF XS EDITOR.

IT LOOKS PRETTY NEET>>>>> I CANT WAIT
isnt that midi though? i do that with the triton rack at school all the time except it dont have no editor

Apr 25, 2002
isnt that midi though? i do that with the triton rack at school all the time except it dont have no editor
Yup. You can do basically the same thing with any synth that supports sysex. Trying to say it turns your Motif rack into a vsti is pretty misleading but 'vsti' is what's hot in marketing these days.

May 1, 2003
Due to the editor being VST3, it's a bit more to it than midi and sysex.

<---------Googles VST3 (shall return shortly)

Edit: ahhh ok. I see. I haven't really used Cubase4 lately, still on 3.
I assumed VST was pretty much written in stone. I guess I'll make the switch permanently now. I'm still on a Pentium 4, 2.8ghz freezing my vsti tracks. It kind of ruins the flow. Thanks Heresy!

just read this:
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/5933.html
Improved Performance
Some current plug-ins are known to be heavy on CPU load. Managing large plug-in sets and multiple virtual instruments on typical project studio computer systems can often be difficult because of CPU performance limits. VST3 helps to improve overall performance by applying processing to plug-ins only when audio signals are present on their respective inputs. So instead of always processing input signals, even when there is only silence present, VST3 plug-ins can apply their processing economically and only when it is needed.
Multiple Dynamic I/Os
VST3 plug-ins are no longer limited to a fixed number of inputs and outputs. Their I/O configuration can dynamically adapt to the channel configuration they're inserted in. For example, the new VST3 plug-ins in Cubase 4 can work in stereo-mode when inserted into a stereo channel, but switch to 6 channels when inserted into a 5.1 channel. In any case, each audio channel is processed independently. Interaction between channels depends on the type and design of the plug-in. While it is still eligible to have dedicated surround plug-ins, basically any VST3 plug-in can be surround-capable with true multi-channel processing.

Apr 25, 2002
Sound selection and parameter changes are done with midi/sysex and any synth that supports that can have a software editor for it (as standalone or VST). The routing and etc that VST3 gives you is nice but it doesn't have anything to do with how sounds are handled in the hardware.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Bad Mister, who's a keyboard wiz, made this post on the motifator forum. When you guys read it you'll see why I'm saying its more than just midi and sysex.

The new Motif XS VST editor and the Motif-Rack XS VST editor will be the first VST3 hardware editors. So it may indeed be a bit different for everyone to understand because you have not had such a thing yet.

The significant thing about it will be how MIDI data and the audio data generated by that MIDI data is handled. With any VSTi you basically are recording MIDI data in your DAW... the MIDI OUT of that data is echoed to (routed to) a synth engine that generates the sound... the returning audio (that is, the audio generated by that synth engine) is shown in a special audio lane ("invisible track" as the Steinberg documentation calls it)... that returning audio can be in turn routed throug VST Effects, can be automated using the DAW automation functions, you can, depending on your version of DAW software, use a function like FREEZE. And of course, very significantly you can use AUDIO MIXDOWN to render the track into a full audio track... (quite naturally, but significantly, the rendering of the data is realtime... because the Motif XS and/or the Motif Rack XS tone engine are external devices).

The VST3 version of the editor does not use Studio Manager, but instead is launched like the GUI for any VSTi. It is however, a multi-timbral VSTi... and while you can have multiple instances of the editor running simultaneously, if you truly understand what is on offer you can see it would require multiple Motif XS's... Each Motif XS or Motif Rack XS you own would have its own editor interface... so, again, the VST3 editor for the XS is a multi-timbral editor.

You can route signals very flexibly through 8 Stereo buses... this keeps it simple and yet lets you work to process your music as your require and commit data to audio tracks in Cubase. So the tracks you want to process externally (say with Effects inside Cubase) can be routed on the VST audio buses and send to Cubase... this will give those of you using the 16 bus firewire interface to your computer a huge advantage in routing/processing possibilities. Those using a stereo audio interface will be able to process the overall signal coming to the DAW.

So you will find advantages for both those working on individual track processing (using the multiple audio outputs available via firewire) and for those just simply wanting to finalize mixes from the data generated by the XS tone engine.

Cubase Automation and VST SOUND select tools are available meaning you can work in the computer environment in a consistent manner if you are used to working with VSTi.

In short, the VST3 editor will benefit those that work (record) in the computer DAW environment and who are interested in recording MIDI and Audio in Cubase.

The VST3 protocol features 'dynamic' allocation of CPU resources, integration into VST SOUND/Media Bay so that you can tag your own sounds and create a very useful librarian categorization function for your Voice data.

Jan 6, 2003
www.midwestinvasion.com
Bad Mister, who's a keyboard wiz, made this post on the motifator forum. When you guys read it you'll see why I'm saying its more than just midi and sysex.

The new Motif XS VST editor and the Motif-Rack XS VST editor will be the first VST3 hardware editors. So it may indeed be a bit different for everyone to understand because you have not had such a thing yet.

The significant thing about it will be how MIDI data and the audio data generated by that MIDI data is handled. With any VSTi you basically are recording MIDI data in your DAW... the MIDI OUT of that data is echoed to (routed to) a synth engine that generates the sound... the returning audio (that is, the audio generated by that synth engine) is shown in a special audio lane ("invisible track" as the Steinberg documentation calls it)... that returning audio can be in turn routed throug VST Effects, can be automated using the DAW automation functions, you can, depending on your version of DAW software, use a function like FREEZE. And of course, very significantly you can use AUDIO MIXDOWN to render the track into a full audio track... (quite naturally, but significantly, the rendering of the data is realtime... because the Motif XS and/or the Motif Rack XS tone engine are external devices).

The VST3 version of the editor does not use Studio Manager, but instead is launched like the GUI for any VSTi. It is however, a multi-timbral VSTi... and while you can have multiple instances of the editor running simultaneously, if you truly understand what is on offer you can see it would require multiple Motif XS's... Each Motif XS or Motif Rack XS you own would have its own editor interface... so, again, the VST3 editor for the XS is a multi-timbral editor.

You can route signals very flexibly through 8 Stereo buses... this keeps it simple and yet lets you work to process your music as your require and commit data to audio tracks in Cubase. So the tracks you want to process externally (say with Effects inside Cubase) can be routed on the VST audio buses and send to Cubase... this will give those of you using the 16 bus firewire interface to your computer a huge advantage in routing/processing possibilities. Those using a stereo audio interface will be able to process the overall signal coming to the DAW.

So you will find advantages for both those working on individual track processing (using the multiple audio outputs available via firewire) and for those just simply wanting to finalize mixes from the data generated by the XS tone engine.

Cubase Automation and VST SOUND select tools are available meaning you can work in the computer environment in a consistent manner if you are used to working with VSTi.

In short, the VST3 editor will benefit those that work (record) in the computer DAW environment and who are interested in recording MIDI and Audio in Cubase.

The VST3 protocol features 'dynamic' allocation of CPU resources, integration into VST SOUND/Media Bay so that you can tag your own sounds and create a very useful librarian categorization function for your Voice data.
YEA ITS ALOT MORE TO IT THEN JUST DATA TRANSFER(MIDI). STILL CANT WAIT.