Most Influential MidWest MC's

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 20, 2006
JLMACN said:
i disagree...
a couple people outta the Lou got deals..

no one else in any other midwest city came up off of Nellys achievements...

Chicago?
KC?
Nebraska?
Iowa?
Illnois?
Cleveland?
Ohio?

name some people from these citys that came up based off of Nellys achievements..

Nelly did something that the first rapper to get a deal out of St. Louis (Domino) never did, and a lot of Midwest rappers before him never did, that is represent the Midwest. If you remember Domino, representing Long Beach with a hit record called "Sweet Potato Pie". That is the same St. Louis singing style of rap that Nelly has. However Domino, just like other early Midwest rappers, was representing where he was at, instead of where he was from. Nelly brought attention to the Midwest as a whole region with new and fresh Hip-Hop talent. Not just representing his city like a lot of the first Chicago and Michigan artists were doing. But representing the region as a whole, the way Southern artists are representing the South, no matter what city or state. So you can't deny or ignore that Nelly opened up the rap game for not only St. Louis, but set high standards for any and all Midwest Rap artists.

Feb 22, 2006
Dark Shadow said:
but then again he made St Louis look bad
u crazy ass fuck!!! st.louis is nellyville nigga!!! like it or not dirty is da king of da midwest!!! the only person that has sold more records than him is m&m! if u go 2 da lou they luv him out there!!! and dont get it fucked up cuz he fucks wit some real head buster outta u city & all over the lou!!!

Feb 22, 2006
jesse james said:
Nelly made STL look bad??? He just showed our good nature.........
what rapper in the lou in 1998 was albe 2 do what nelly did 4 da lou? think hard.........nobody nigga!!!! around dat time lou niggaz was still on dat gangsta shit sounded like cali niggaz!!! i know you remember who twiceda g was? from 44 bud over thurr on da northside! he was signed 2 birthrite records,but he sounded like he was long beach! he had dat sound called once upon a time on da northside. in my opinion he was super tight but he wasnt rappin about nothing that would make a major wanna put chesse behind him. but when da tics came out wit dat gimmie dat song thats when da lou started 2 get noticed!!!

Jun 24, 2006
why are you guys fighting over nelly it should be kanye west he is garbage i havent like him at all since he started rapping he was alright wit da beats but he shouldnt rap

Sep 10, 2004
www.cdbaby.com
Kanye got skills from the beats to the mic....
can't deny that...

but if I don't like someone as a person its hard for me to listen to their music...
Kanye just comes off as a cocky, arrogant, whiny prick...

at least thats the impression i've got...

same as Nelly, but I don't like Nellys music either though...

Jul 7, 2002
C-MOB said:
but I gotta give Kanye his props for bustin out George Bush on live TV....
Kanye didn't do shit, but make himself look like a politically uneducated douchebag when he did that. There are many legitimate angles debate and or argue about regarding Bush, but that's not one of them.

May 20, 2006
When I made my list, I knew that the inclusion of Nelly and Kanye would stir up emotions of all, "real MC's". We could argue all day about image, and the way they make the rest of the Midwest look. The bottom line is, Nelly and Kanye are trendsetters. They step outside the box and try shit different from everybody else. Before Kanye West released his first solo album as an artist, he was the cooking up beats for the most dominant independent label in New York and providing theme music for the most high profile MC's from New York and Philly. Like most Midwest artists, Kanye displayed his versatility, by not only dropping cold beats, but coming with a MC style that was totally opposite to the artists he was doing production for. The fact of the matter is, if you are from the Midwest you should be open to do what you wanna do. I look at the Midwest as the last region where Hip-Hop is still in it's purest form. In the heart.

Sep 10, 2004
www.cdbaby.com
Heat Myser said:
Kanye didn't do shit, but make himself look like a politically uneducated douchebag when he did that. There are many legitimate angles debate and or argue about regarding Bush, but that's not one of them.
I can't argue with that but the fact that he spoke his mind about the president on national TV is what I meant... even if he was wrong in what he said, most people wouldn't have said what they felt on live TV like that...
so I gotta give him props for that...

Jul 21, 2005
snypamuzicc.blogspot.com
boiboi said:
u crazy ass fuck!!! st.louis is nellyville nigga!!! like it or not dirty is da king of da midwest!!! the only person that has sold more records than him is m&m! if u go 2 da lou they luv him out there!!! and dont get it fucked up cuz he fucks wit some real head buster outta u city & all over the lou!!!
lol look at his corn ball bullshit u call rap that he does, when he shouldnt of came out pop and then it would of fit. and if u knew anythang about being from lou most rappers from there will even say he made em look bad and set em back from getting deals NOW and not then. Nice 2 know u listen 2 a faggot

Jan 28, 2005
1) Country Grammar was tight, but I dont really feel like that album has a midwest influence to it.

2) Nelly did a lot for rap music. Count how many rappers you see sporting them rrrrrrr force ones and mispronouncing simple words.

3) Kanye deserves to be on that list for sure. No question about it, ya'll are just hatin'

Feb 22, 2006
Dark Shadow said:
lol look at his corn ball bullshit u call rap that he does, when he shouldnt of came out pop and then it would of fit. and if u knew anythang about being from lou most rappers from there will even say he made em look bad and set em back from getting deals NOW and not then. Nice 2 know u listen 2 a faggot
shut dat weak shit up!!! st. louis had oppertunitys in the early 90's wit sylk smoove signed 2 profile in 91 "flopped" jcd & da dawg pound also on profile i beleave "flopped" tab & the villian in 94 signed 2 ruthless "flooped"! so my question still who in the lou would of been albe 2 do what da tic did?
u still aint told me dat! let me guess u? c'mon mo!

May 11, 2002
Bone only opened up doors for Cleveland cats. And not to forget, Eazy-E helped open that door. Then that left the rest to follow, including: Three 6 Mafia, Do Or Die, Crucial Conflict, ect....

Then around that time St. Louis rap started up to a more locally supported level than ever before. Back in the day in St. Louis there was Silk Smoove but now in 1994-95 we had Deadly Deuce (one of the best to come from the Lou), Ghetto Insanity aka Bullet Proof (STL G'z, Lil Puppet, LOS), St. Lunatics (including Nelly), and ect.....

Eazy-E also had a group drop one LP on his label in 1995 (right before he died) called Tab & Da Villon "Do Or Die". Tab Money was from St. Louis and I believe Villon was from Toledo Ohio.

The only thing Nelly brought to St. Louis was Main Stream success, and I congratulate him for that. But he does not help anybody or any underground artist to blow up. And the only attention he brought to St. Louis was other artists who also do main stream songs, like : Chingy, J-Kwon, and ect.

But Nelly did put St. Louis on the map to the mainstream eyes & ears. He is just a fad and he will fade away one day.

The rap game and music is not the same as it was back in the early 90's. That being said, I give Nelly props for bringing St. Louis to the known aka mainstream becuase that is the only way now days that you can bring a unknown city to MTV and be known. Talent does not matter anymore. It's not like it was with NWA, Scarface, Wu Tang, Bone, and ect....